Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
USB mouse & keyboard not working, read the docs! Help?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zulithe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: USB mouse & keyboard not working, read the docs! Help? Reply with quote

Hi all. I've been slowly working my way through the Gentoo install. I'm finding it somewhat of a challenge, being very inexperienced with Linux myself. But I am making progress. I managed to install and get it to boot on it's own (thanks to some very helpful folks here at this forum!) and just today I got x to actually launch on my own :!:

My USB mouse and keyboard doesn't work though...

I have followed Documentation,Tips & Tricks > Installing a USB Mouse and/or Keyboard in Gentoo to the exact letter! Using the "USB Mouse & Keyboard" section since I am using BOTH. I compiled it all into the kernel (no modules, I checked all of the items listed and did not check any additional ones under those two categories except joystick support, since I have a usb joystick I want to later configure)
# make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
# mount /boot
# mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.orig <--- safety first!
# cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
# umount /boot
no modules to add to /etc/modules.autoload so I
# reboot

When I start my PC, the red light on my mouse turns on! It stays on even after I login to linux, there is an entry in /dev/usbmouse but if I unplug the mouse, and plug it back in, the light is still off, and the /dev/usbmouse disappears from /dev ! I also get no kernel message when unplugging/pluggin in the mouse as detailed in The Gentoo Linux Desktop Configuration Guide

As for the keyboard, the light on it appears durring initial boot stage, but after grub loads the keyboard light goes off and I can't get a response out of it. I am using a standard keyboard until I can get it to function. :(

I do notice that, durring the boot process (before it prompts me to login) I see messages stating that my Mouse and Keyboard were detected (it even shows their correct names and all, identifiying the mouse as a Microsoft Intellimouse Explroer and the Keyboard as a Compaq Internet Keyboard or something very similar)

Searching the forums I found this thread: Doesnt work!! Which, though related to my problem, I found the advice of "reboot 7 times until the hub works correctly" quite dissatisfactory...

The hardware I'm using:
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer Optical USB
Compaq Internet Keyboard USB

Both of these items work perfect in Windows for me if that means anything :lol:
They are plugged side-by-side into USB ports at the back of my PC directly into the motherboard (sadly I am unaware of the actual motherboard I am using, I just know it came with my Compaq Presario 7AP140)

Sorry if this post is long, please help if you can! Thank you.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read through some of the other USB Keyboard/Mouse problem threads (besides "Doesnt work!!")?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: