View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstump
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Firefox searchplugins don't appear Reply with quote

Hello,

Before yesterday I never used the little search bar at the upper right of my firefox. However, I decided to customize it to my liking so that I can start using this convenient feature. I cd'd into /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins and, as root, removed the plugins I didn't want. I then fired up Firefox as root and installed the search plugins that I did want. They appeared without a problem in my root Firefox. However, now when I run Firefox as a regular user no search plugins appear! Previously the default search plugins would appear in my regular user Firefox.

I've googled and searched these forums. There are a lot of posts about people having trouble installing search plugins but I found nothing about properly installed plugins not showing up. I've checked permissions and have all of my files in "searchplugins" chmod'd to 644. The searchplugins directory itself is chmod'd 755. Everything in searchplugins, and the directory itself, is chown'd root:wheel and my regular user account is a member of wheel.

I do not have this problem on my Debian box. In fact, under Debian I have a searchplugins directory in the .mozilla directory of my regular user account. When I install search plugins as a regular user, they show up there. This is not the case with my Gentoo machine. I've tried creating a .mozilla/searchplugins directory and copying the searchplugins from /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins to there but that does not work.

With Debian I am running Firefox 1.0, with Gentoo I am running 1.0.1...but I doubt the version is the problem.

Any ideas? This is a total mystery to me. Search plugins appeared properly before I deleted the ones I didn't want. Immediately after the delete--without changing permissions and with leaving 1 search plugin untouched--every plugin stopped appearing.

Thank you!
thermans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox searchplugins don't appear Reply with quote

cstump wrote:
Hello,

Before yesterday I never used the little search bar at the upper right of my firefox. However, I decided to customize it to my liking so that I can start using this convenient feature. I cd'd into /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins and, as root, removed the plugins I didn't want. I then fired up Firefox as root and installed the search plugins that I did want. They appeared without a problem in my root Firefox. However, now when I run Firefox as a regular user no search plugins appear! Previously the default search plugins would appear in my regular user Firefox.

I had this too. What happens is the search plugins are stored in the user profile for root (in your case). As a regular user you should only see the ones in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins.

But I also found that if I install plugins as a regular user they also do not show up. I didn't do too much research, but it seems that FF tries to put them in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins, which of course is read-only to a regular user.

As a workaround, I downloaded the plugin as a file ("Save Link As") and moved them into the /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins directory. Restart FF and you're good to go.

But that's a hack. There's gotta be a better way.
cstump
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
I had this too. What happens is the search plugins are stored in the user profile for root (in your case). As a regular user you should only see the ones in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins.

Actually, when I installed the plugins as root they all showed up in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins. The .mozilla/searchplugins folder doesn't seem to be used with my FF install.

Quote:
But I also found that if I install plugins as a regular user they also do not show up. I didn't do too much research, but it seems that FF tries to put them in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins, which of course is read-only to a regular user.

Yes, it seems that is a well-known bug

Quote:
As a workaround, I downloaded the plugin as a file ("Save Link As") and moved them into the /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins directory. Restart FF and you're good to go.

I tried that too...it didn't work! All of my desired plugins are in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins and my permissions are as previously stated. What could I have overlooked?
cstump
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre.....I changed themes and then the search plugins showed up. Problem solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: