Cedega & Crossover Office
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Cedega & Crossover Office Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm a little new to linux; I only started using it as my main OS about a month ago. I want to run some windows applications; including, but not limited to ACDSee, Winamp, Activesync (for my phone), and Visio (for work). I did some research and found Crossover Office.

The thing is that I use Cedega to run warcraft (still haven't had the chance to try anything else because I'm in a new job and it takes a lot of my time).

I have Cedega working with no problems and the perforamce is great. I got cxoffice yesterday and tried to get it to work, everytime I try to install internet explorer (because ACDsee needs it) I get an error and when I try to use it I can get to normal site but I can't connect to gmail or yahoo mail. I tried version 4 and 4.1 but had no luck, acdsee installs but doesn't work.

Can both versions of wine be installed on the same machine or is that impossible, I didn't try warcraft after installing cxoffice, so I don't know if it is working or not and my machine is not available at the moment.

thanx in advance guys
bMd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasnt aware ACDSee was on the supported list, have you checked it out on the compatibility list on codeweavers site?
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the quick reply. I found all the programs I mentioned earlier in the supported list of cxoffce, I think all of them are not tested but I'm not sure.
bMd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cedega & Crossover Office Reply with quote

mohshami wrote:

Can both versions of wine be installed on the same machine or is that impossible, I didn't try warcraft after installing cxoffice, so I don't know if it is working or not and my machine is not available at the moment.
Yes both can co-exist on your machine

CodeWeavers FAQ wrote:
7.1.2.1.6. Will CrossOver interfere with my existing Wine installation?

No, CrossOver will not interfere with your existing Wine installation. CrossOver and Wine each have their own Drive C: that will not be visible to the other.
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what can I do to get it working properly?? :?
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget Winamp.

emerge xmms

same thing, really....

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using it, but my computer was hanging every few days. a friend of mine told it was a problem between xmms and opengl, I thought that I should give it a try and stopped using it for 2 weeks now. my computer didn't hang once. I hated rhythmbox but it is the only thing available now. is there anything that is close to winamp other than xmms
bMd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to use beep-media-player (CVS version) which I liked but have now went back to xmms
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bMd wrote:
used to use beep-media-player (CVS version) which I liked but have now went back to xmms

is it based on any xmms code?
bMd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya its xmms ported to GTK+ 2

BMP FAQ wrote:
What is BMP?

BMP is a multimedia player that currently uses a skinned user interface based on Winamp 2.x skins. It was forked from XMMS.
Dais
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of emuling ACDSee, try ShowImg or gThumb for example
Pourquoi continuer dans la souffrance ?

-
Shiki Soku Ze Ku, Ku Soku Ze Shiki
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thax for the replies guys. I installed gThumb, its nice, but not exactly like acdsee (there is no zoom lock :'( ) I'm downloading ShowImg now to try it. Beep seems nice but still lacks in features. I'll stick with it for a while to try it out.

But it seems that we forgot the initial subject. How to get cxoffice to work :'(
hardcampa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohshami wrote:
Thax for the replies guys. I installed gThumb, its nice, but not exactly like acdsee (there is no zoom lock :'( ) I'm downloading ShowImg now to try it. Beep seems nice but still lacks in features. I'll stick with it for a while to try it out.

But it seems that we forgot the initial subject. How to get cxoffice to work :'(

The main point to be taken here is that you have options. Don't use windows programs when you can use far superior linux apps.
Most of the windows apps I know of are bloated. ACDSee is insanely bloated for example.
My preferred image viewer is gqview. It simply owns. For music BMP or XMMS (should) work for everybody, check the preferences in it and switch from ALSO to OSS emulation, perhaps that will help etc etc..
Just don't be afraid to try stuff =)
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried gqview and hated it. I love ACDSee for the way it works, I've been using it since 1998. I think I will stick to gThumb because it is much lighter than ShowImg. ACDSee 5 and 6 were very bloated, but 7 is much lighter than they are.

I'm using beep now and its working ok, I just miss a feature in winamp where I click mod4+w to show/hide the window, in beep and XMMS it only shows, I want to be able to minimize the window or press mod4+w to hide it. I'll check out the OSS thing in xmms and give it another try.

I need cxoffice to use visio, thats the only reason I still have windows installed on my work computer. What can I do?? :(
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
forget Winamp.

emerge xmms

same thing, really....

-Feld

Mh, and what about modern skin support? XMMS looks like it came out 5 years ago.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it doesn't help much with getting ACDSee to work, but I found that gqview is a pretty good alternative for basic viewing. I definately recommend it, it's pretty good, IMHO.
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found gthumb better for basic viewing (which enough for me btw). It is even faster than ACDSee which makes it really great. Except I'd really like to have zoom lock. Yes xmms is far away from winamp, I didn't see any improvements since I first played with it 2 years ago. Beep is making progress and will surpass xmms soon (maybe not soon, but in a while :D ).

cxoffice is not running guys, I have a 2.4.26 kernel, does that have anything to do with it?
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohshami wrote:
I found gthumb better for basic viewing (which enough for me btw). It is even faster than ACDSee which makes it really great. Except I'd really like to have zoom lock. Yes xmms is far away from winamp, I didn't see any improvements since I first played with it 2 years ago. Beep is making progress and will surpass xmms soon (maybe not soon, but in a while :D ).

cxoffice is not running guys, I have a 2.4.26 kernel, does that have anything to do with it?

GQview does allow you to lock the zoom, it's in some settings. It also has some scripts to help with renaming a bunch of files.
mohshami
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cxoffice guys, I'm pretty much fed up with windows here at work :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: