Misunderstanding of the approach Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oschtan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Misunderstanding of the approach Gentoo Reply with quote

Once again bumping into the rejection of ideas, yet do not understand what it is due. After reading the comments on my suggestion in bug 342521 it seems that the only difference between Gentoo, so this is an assembly of all, the transformation of the system in a dump of various packages, many of which require only mediates system. And once again pops up the same Openoffice, for which was never implemented the ability to install only the required parts. For some reason, the possibility of cutting into many KDE packages has been implemented with ease, but here is a fool's errand.
Satoshi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible English is horrible.

Can anyone translate?
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media-video guys are/were in copy, maybe they will pick up on it and put some static xulrunner libs into their ebuild? You would still need xulrunner during the build process :/

I have the same problems with qt, some apps have only qt guis and to install the whole qt stuff for one application is frustrating...
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people post good solutions, they would probably be accepted. I agree with the dev that splitting ebuilds is not a very elegant solution. In your case, gecko-mediaplayer (the package or the ebuild) should be modified, not xulrunner.

My personal hate-case: Needing alsa-libs and alsa-headers on a computer without a sound card, because chromium needs a bucket to yell into.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually run ldd (or even better lddtree) on the gecko-mediaplayer binary files to determine that it doesn't link to and hence require at runtime any of the xulrunner libraries?

I'd imagine it does, but if not and you only need it for the headers then you could remove it from your system after installing gecko-mediaplayer.

Or another option, create the directory /etc/portage/env/net-libs, and place the following file within that directory;
/etc/portage/env/net-libs/xulrunner:
INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/xulrunner-* /usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-* /usr/share/idl/xulrunner-*"
That should ensure pretty much only the headers are installed (I think, been a while since I played with INSTALL_MASK) and make it behave as you want, however this will only work if gecko-mediaplayer just needs the headers at compile time and doesn't link to any xulrunner libs...

Yes, this is all more work than what you seem to be looking for, but if you're really building for a compact system you should be used to this by now, and try finding another distro that gives you such options and control for such a build...

As for openoffice, this has come up numerous times before, IIRC the problem with split ebuilds for oowriter and similar is that they all require the same openoffice libraries, so you could have an openoffice-lib ebuild or something and then individual ebuilds for oowriter and the like, however openoffice-lib would have to install most of what the openoffice ebuild currently installs anyway, even for just one of the end user apps, so the benefit of this would be miniscule...

This isn't a problem with gentoo but with openoffice, it's been developed as one huge monolithic package and thers's not much the gentoo devs can do about that, and it's not comparable to the kde or qt split ebuilds situation at all IMO.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pianosaurus wrote:
My personal hate-case: Needing alsa-libs and alsa-headers on a computer without a sound card, because chromium needs a bucket to yell into.
Lol, that just sucks, but then that's the problem with binary packages, you lose all the advantages of USE flags.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadako wrote:
Lol, that just sucks, but then that's the problem with binary packages, you lose all the advantages of USE flags.

Actually, I don't use chromium-bin. I compile from source. I'm going to look into it. Unless the chromium-people did something silly, it should be possible to fix easily in the ebuild.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: