View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Worker Filemanager Reply with quote

Worker is dual pane filemanger, basically a Directory Opus clone, but after trying dozens of file managers I found it the most useful. It is extremely configurable, you can have as many buttons, colors, options as you want - the only drawbacks: no advanced searching, no drag and drop and its not very newbie friendly. BTW doesn't depend on Kde or Gnome.
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say these are all necessarily "obscure" but they still definitely merit recommendation.

Fyre - Very, very cool program that's similar to Apple's Quartz Composer. This works really nicely for graphics when used alongside Gimp/Photoshop/whatever.

LMMS - Fantastic audio app that's the closest i've used to some of the stuff available on Windows. Downside is that pro recording/sequencing in Linux is still in a sad state, but this is a quite useable app.

Krita - Though it's still very, very early in development, this is shaping up quite nicely. Based on the interface alone, i'm really hoping to see it turn into a viable alternative to GIMP and Photoshop.

K3B - Best CD/DVD burning software i've ever used, period. I wouldn't even mind seeing it ported to Windows, if only so I can dump Nero and its incredibly bloated "suite" of crap!

On a related note, I used to be addicted to the Waimea window manager, which has unfortunately ceased development. Anyone know of a window manager that configures/behaves similarly? Pekwm looks pretty promising so far, but there are so many Blackbox/Aewm++ styled WM's, it's tough to keep track of the differences.
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pcmanfm was a file manager I like.
jammerJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez !
I always thought that BasKet was a cool app, just couldn't really find a use for it. And I thought Tomboy was much better.
But check out the new beta Version of Basket Note Pad !
I totally fell in love with it. Beats Tomboy hands down if you want to keep track of anything other than text.
Inline Image previews, links, drag&drop of content, a mindmap-like mode, auto-grouping of nodes, HTML export.

This is going to be my new electronic logbook / scientific journal.
"What did I do today ? Let me just drop a couple of plots here, annotate them, export to HTML and post to my blog."

Awesome.
polyglot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: GnuCash Reply with quote

GnuCash: http://gnucash.org/
Sylpheed: http://sylpheed.good-day.net/en/
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urlgfe: It's a download manager based on libcurl and gtk. It's very light and fast and you can integrate it with firefox via FlashGot. I have tryed Prozgui and d4x, but this is the best graphical download manager Ihave ever tried. It's in portage, but it seems that nobody cares about it.
zark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/ - Pixel

okay it's not free, but it's a photoshop killer :p
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen a music management and playback for GNOME. 8)
psic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, some very usefull programs mentioned. Too bad many of them are not in portage (the pcman file manager, for one).

Anyhow, Sylpheed Claws has been mentioned before, but IMO does not recieve enough attention.

Also, Transmission is a great, light, GTK torrent app.
bol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! :)
I found some cool apps that i will try.

My contribution:

psi - great multi-protocol IM-applicatin, supports Jabber, msn, icq, yim, aim, irc etc.
TorrentFlux Good web-based torrent-client.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ampache is a PHP-based tool for managing, updating and playing your MP3/OGG/RM/FLAC/WMA/M4A files via a web interface. That's how they say in their website. I use it in University and in work to listen music streamed from my home pc. It basicly doesnt depend on any OS/browser/media player you might be using on the remote site. So anything goes. Just surf to your own music portal and play whichever song you like. You can make playlists with it too. You can upload and download music to/from your own pc.

There's an ebuild in the portage and if you have a LAMP system allready then it takes about 5-15 minutes to install the thing and your'e set. Also there's a howto thread in the tip's and tricks sub forum.

Wordpress is a blogging 'system'. It requires a LAMP system. Best blog system IMO, where you are in control of everything. There's an ebuild in portage and in gentoo wiki there's a howto document(s).
bitpicker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadkonsole is a console application dependent on KDE headers which in an X environment will open a set of four consoles in a 2x2 panel (more or less consoles can be set via command line options). Great when you need to see more than a single console at a time, and faster than simply opening two or more console windows.

Robin
massysett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuu wrote:
These haven't get enoght publicity:
* false - exit with exitcode 1.
* true - exit with exitcode 0.

:)

actually, "man true" says "do nothing, successfully." Sounds like my life!

Great app: Ledger. Command-line accounting. Whips any GUI alternative out there. I think I saw an ebuild in Bugzilla somewhere, but it compiles from source really easily.

http://www.newartisans.com/ledger.html
Simsonite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this gets a lot of publicity, irssi nice command line irc client.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much publicity it gets, but I love GnomeBaker for creating CDs/DVDs. It has a beautiful and easy to use UI (yay for the GNOME HIG!), and uses GStreamer for the data->PCM conversion if you're going to burn a music CD.

The new UI changes in 0.6.0 make it incredibly nicer in terms of adding files and things. :D
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuu wrote:
These haven't get enoght publicity:
* false - exit with exitcode 1.
* true - exit with exitcode 0.

:)

This one even more:
Code:

>$ /lib/libSegFault.so
Segmentation Fault

8)
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ePDFview is a GTK-based PDF and PostScript viewer similar to Evince, but without Gnome dependencies: only GTK and Poppler. Superb for those XFCE users, and for alternative WM users who prefer GTK apps. The depeloper/s provide an updated ebuild, which works perfectly. I wonder why it isn't in portage yet.
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadmintools

Applications that make it easy to administrate your server: http://www.gadmintools.org/

There should definately be ebuilds for these applications
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Not sure how much publicity it gets, but I love GnomeBaker for creating CDs/DVDs. It has a beautiful and easy to use UI (yay for the GNOME HIG!), and uses GStreamer for the data->PCM conversion if you're going to burn a music CD.

I concur on every point. I discovered GnomeBaker about a week ago and like it very much. So now thanks to us, it has just that little bit more publicity. :D

Some longtime favorites of mine:
  • jDiskReport, a really nice disk-space analysis tool: Find the elephant hiding in your computer and kick him out. Offers a variety of charts and list views. It's in portage (emerge sys-fs/jdiskreport-bin) but it's trivial to install even on Other OSes, as it's 100% Pure Java.
  • SQuirreL SQL Client, a universal SQL client for relational databases. If an RDBMS has a JDBC 2.0-compliant driver, SQuirreL can talk to it (this includes MySQL, PostgreSQL and Apache Derby, plus the big boys). Also 100% Pure Java (1.4.x). Not in portage but has a good installer.
  • Last but far from least, VueScan. If you want the highest-quality scans from your scanner with the least effort (especially for batch scanning), you don't want (X)Sane, you don't want the scanner vendor's proprietary software--you want VueScan. It's not free-as-in-beer, but you can try before you buy (it watermarks images until purchased).

Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Applications that don't get enough publicity Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Hmm every other day I come across an application on Freshmeat that makes me think 'wow'.

Today it was XNC : X Northern Captain which is a mature, GPL file manager. It's feature list is more than impressive, and it seems very mature.
Quite mature. So mature that it's development team seems to have all moved on. I couldn't contact anyone even to help fix bugs I'd found.

I'd use it except when something gives me a shell, I expect a fully-working shell, and this thing doesn't have it, the output gets messed up sometimes.

It's also got a kind of featuritis with all sorts of tabs and buttons that I've never been able to figure out wtf they do.
psic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently seen Yakuake, a really cool console for KDE which 'slides' from the top of the screen when F12 is pressed.

Seeing as how I use GTK-only apps, I found Tilda, which is the gtk equivalent. It doesn't work as nice as yakuake (yet), things like the transparency don't work for me. It's nice to get a console with one key press and hide it the same way.
Zubzub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psic wrote:
I've recently seen Yakuake, a really cool console for KDE which 'slides' from the top of the screen when F12 is pressed.

Seeing as how I use GTK-only apps, I found Tilda, which is the gtk equivalent. It doesn't work as nice as yakuake (yet), things like the transparency don't work for me. It's nice to get a console with one key press and hide it the same way.

transparancy works just fine with me, too bad the program wont start until my X server is running for 5 seconds or so, very annoying if you want to auto-start it :?
slick
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Applications that don't get enough publicity

YaCy (Wiki) - a p2p based websearch engine, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacy
psic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zubzub wrote:

transparancy works just fine with me, too bad the program wont start until my X server is running for 5 seconds or so, very annoying if you want to auto-start it :?

Two questions, first can you show me tilda's config file, just so I can compare? Second, what method do you use to auto-run it?

I'm again using someone else's laptop for a bit and yakuake seems to work much smoother than on my machine (the glxgears work just a tad better, I'm suspecting that the difference is the yakuake integration with KDE compared with Tilda's non-integation with xfce in my case).
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across www.ifolder.com in my search for a solution to desktop/laptop sycronization.

Not yet used it but it looks good and may give it a try, unless you know a better solution?

No ebuild yet!

Opps seems there is an ebuild

http://www.ifolder.com/index.php/HowTo:Building_iFolder_Enterprise_Server_on_Gentoo
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: