gcc-config and prelink woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inciner@tor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: gcc-config and prelink woes Reply with quote

Well, I finally managed to find out that something put in a symlink from /usr/lib/lib to /usr/lib/lib into my filesystem, making prelink unable to work.
Now that has been resolved, I still have another problem, though. It especially regards kde related binaries, but could possibly affect any app or lib written in c++

Here's what I have to report:
prelink -avmf cannot link several libraries, for example it prints:
Code:
prelink: Could not prelink /usr/lib/libfam.so.0 because it doesn't use /lib/libgcc_s.so.1, but one of its dependencies has been prelinked against it

Now I did some ldd
ldd /usr/lib/libfam.so.0 printed out
Code:
libstdc++.so.6 => //usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7f26000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => //usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/libgcc_s.so.1

Did you notice the double slash in front of the pathname, that's a wee bit odd, but not the core of the problem.
ldd /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/libstdc++.so.6 printed out
Code:
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x41c0b000)

And now comes the hammer: A diff turned out that both libgcc_so.1 files are IDENTICAL. However, if you look at the prelink output, prelink links them both to the SAME address space.
Code:
Laying out 243 libraries in virtual address space 41000000-50000000
Assigned virtual address space slots for libraries:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/libgcc_s.so.1       41c0b000-41c13504
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1                                           41c0b000-41c13504

Just for the fun of it, I deleted /lib/libgcc_s.so* and re-run gcc-config to go to the same profile. [i]gcc-config[i/] copied the right file into /lib. Then I re-ran prelink, but still both libs were put into the same address space.

It is obvious that prelink fails for libfam.so.0, it links against libgcc_s.so.1 (the one in /usr/lib/gcc) AND libstdc++.so.6, but libstdc++.so.6 links against the one in /lib. Since both have the same address space but are treated as different files, prelink cannot possibly pre-link libfam.so.1 as this would cause an address space conflict. A re-install of gcc did not help, as that created the same file setup.

Now my questions is: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 obviously is a copy of the file in /usr/lib/gcc, made by gcc-config. Should that not be a symlink instead of a copy then? Why does gcc-config not create a symlink instead of making a copy then? I cannot really blame prelink for putting the libs into the same address space. Both libs have the same name and no single binary is ever going to link against BOTH of them. But could then prelink not realise both files are the same and symlink them?

This weird behavious leads to prelink failing for quite a few binaries, therefore effectively failing to prelink kde and maybe some other c++ apps, as well.

I am sort of hesitant to convert /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 into a symlink to the file in /usr/lib/gcc. I suspect that would solve my problem but could break gcc profiles. Doing gcc-config would probably re-create the problem again.

Any serious advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Dominik
simondo42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi inciner@tor,

This is really useful stuff -- I have the same problem too (although no solution sorry!). Have you filed a bug report? That might bring it to the attention of the gcc-config/prelink developers.

Cheers,
simon

Edit I bit the bullet and tried symlinking /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3-20050110/libgcc_s.so to /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 instead of the one in /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3-20050110/ and then prelinking. Prelink ran through fine with no libgcc_s.so related errors and everything seems to be working on reboot. Haven't tried running gcc-config again to see if it restores the symlinks, but I imagine it does.
inciner@tor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear somebody else has this problem, too. I won't bother filing a bug report, though. I stopped using Gentoo as of last Friday and I am now a happy user of Arch Linux.

Imho the cleanest solution seems to be changing gcc-config to produce symlinks instead of a local copy. On the other hand, I don't think ebuilds should really link to the copy in /lib anyway. Especially for c++ programs this is bound to get you into serious problems once you change the compiler. With distinct copies of each lib at least the currently installed programs won't stop working until you ebuild new c++ apps. Meanwhile you can let your machine do a revdep-rebuild over night, but that's just my two cents.

I am not sure what re-running gcc-updating might do. If it does not delete the currently existing copy of the lib then things may get really nasty once you had a major gcc update.

Btw, funny: Dunedin <=> Edinburgh *ggg*

Cheers,
Dominik
simondo42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Dunedin -- the Edinburgh of the south :) Even originally had the same street layout, so I'm told. Still a bit confused about why the Scots would travel half way around the world to set up camp in one of the coldest parts of New Zealand, but since I'm of Scottish ancestary I'm glad they did.

I think it's okay to link into /lib/libgcc_s.so so long as you're upgrading gcc (and setting the link from /usr/lib/gcc... manually), since the files are the same. Not sure what would happen if you changed already installed slotted versions though. It's a kludge though, and bound to bite someone (probably me) on the arse at some point.

I've heard about Arch Linux in passing. What made you decide on that distro (just curious cos I don't know much about it).

Cheers,
simon
Pubare
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See https://forums.gentoo.org/posting.php?mode=quote&p=2125440 for a possible solution.
simondo42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that thanks Pubare.

You might want to edit your posting -- the link you gave might not lead where you think it does.... ;-)

simon
spiralvoice
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: gcc-config and prelink woes Reply with quote

inciner@tor wrote:
Well, I finally managed to find out that something put in a symlink from /usr/lib/lib to /usr/lib/lib into my filesystem, making prelink unable to work.

I had that link as well with the same results. The creation date matches no emerge activity so I don´t know why it was there...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: