Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
problems with step 16 instalation process...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cellon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: problems with step 16 instalation process... Reply with quote

when trying to save the splashscreen file for startup, i press F3 to save but dont seem to be able to do it, tells me it cannot make changes because there is no such directory.

problem 2 is getting basically past that and finalizing the unmounting process and rebooting

took 3 days to get so far, so we'd like to finish it :(
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with step 16 instalation process... Reply with quote

cellon wrote:
when trying to save the splashscreen file for startup, i press F3 to save but dont seem to be able to do it, tells me it cannot make changes because there is no such directory.

Did you properly mount your boot partition (code listing 14) and chroot correctly? (code listing 17)

Also, where are you trying to save the menu.lst file? should be in /boot/grub/menu.lst

--kurt
cellon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. i am thinking the problem is in the way we have set up fdisk and its partitions.
here are the partitions,

boot - ext
linux swap - linux swap
hd3 - root

we can only create one ext partition for the three, but need 2, how do you overcome that?

and how do i create a linux swap, when i create it it only recognizes it as a linux partition, so i dont think it is a swap.

can i use disk druid instead to create the partitions?

when i get to code listing 40, i still am not sure how to save the menu.lst file, and more importantly which directory to save it to?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellon wrote:
we can only create one ext partition for the three, but need 2, how do you overcome that?

What do you mean you can only have one ext partition? That's simply not true. You can have as many as you want. (ok, I'm sure there's some upper limit, but for all practical purposes, you can have as many as you want)

cellon wrote:
and how do i create a linux swap, when i create it it only recognizes it as a linux partition, so i dont think it is a swap.

You have to tell fdisk what the partition type is. I think 82 is ext2 and 83 is swap, but I could have those reversed (or wrong altogether) Check the fdisk help.

cellon wrote:
can i use disk druid instead to create the partitions?

Sure, but I don't believe it's part of the gentoo build process, so you'd need to load it from an alternate source (floppy, another cd, etc.)

when i get to code listing 40, i still am not sure how to save the menu.lst file, and more importantly which directory to save it to?[/quote]

Just like the line says:

Code:
nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then, save it in nano to the default location (which will be /boot/grub/menu.lst) and you're good ot go. Of course, this assumes that you've mounted your /boot partition and chrooted correctly.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: