View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wazow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: No ebook support in acroread 7 for linux? Reply with quote

PowerFactor wrote:
it looks like the first acroread for linux that's truely on par with the windows version. :)

My experience is quite different, and quite bitter here. Apparently the unix version of acroread is the only one that does not support the Adobe DRM system, and I could not find anything about plans to support it (in fact I have seen some hints somewhere that it will not be supported anytime soon.)

What it means that despite of what numerous weebsites say, I cannot read my protected ebooks (legally purchased) on my linux workstation. What a shame! I followed some standard tutorials to activate the DRM subsystem, but it only succeeded for me on my windows machine. the linux version is missing the related entries in menus. When I tried to open this protected PDFs, I only get a message about a plugin missing.

So no: no way the linux version is as good as the windows one. It is seriously behind again. Windows Acrobat Reader supports DRM since version 6.

unless anybody got a better experience with protected ebooks here...
nullpex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Slowdown Reply with quote

I'm having the same slowdown problem with acroread startup...
hardcore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes 12 seconds for me. No noticable slowdown, although I wish it would open faster than 12 seconds....
wulu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: acroread startup times Reply with quote

same here,
acroread-7.0.1.1 startup time is about 10sec
acroread-7.0.5-r1 1 minute

downgrade helps.

running
Code:
strace acroread
shows long delay's seraching for non existant font folders
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfik wrote:
Other question: what do you know about defragentation of linux FS
(I'm on ext3)? As my portage operation are VERY slow. I have slow disk,
I know, but It seems to be worth as the time comes.
Some one said me that reiser is better for the lot of small files (i.e. for portage tree)
Do you think so too?

I will mention this very fast, since it's not really a part of this thread.
If you search this forum, you find a lot of discussions about the benefits different FS have. A very compressed version is: ext3 is pretty fast, but slower than ext2. It does have journaling though, which ext2 doesn't have. These two filesystems are very good in handling fragmentation, and are sturdy.
ReiserFS is very fast (up to 10 times faster) on many small files, and generally a fast FS, but it does fragment like hell. You will seriously experience a massive slow-down in about a year (depending on how much the disk is written to/deleted from of course), and there is no known way to defragment a ReiserFS disk (except to copy all files to another partition, reformat the ReiserFS partition, and copy them back.. Which I did last week) which is a real shame.

But like I said, search this forum for different discussions. Some tips:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-428130-highlight-reiserfs+ext3+freagment+slow+portage.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-2189-highlight-reiserfs+ext3+freagment+slow+portage.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-422984-highlight-reiserfs+defragment.html

The last one was really good for me. I used it to repartion my filesystem from 2 partitions to 5.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: