View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varname
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: no progress .. Reply with quote

I haven't really had the time to play with me alpha lately, but I have been searching some of the other AXP distro lists. Of all the messages concerning aboot problems, I've found a few that had the same problem, but none ever solved it. Additionally, these posts were all from way-back, some dating from 1999 :).

The general 'idea' that accompanied most of these posts was that it should just work. Some people tried all the SRM versions they could find and flash, others used a variety of kernel versions (2.2.x was still considered 'hot').

two threads are (apart from old kernels and using RH6) similare to my problem; 'aboot woes' and 'Alpha newbie problems HELP!'.
varname
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: no one? Reply with quote

still no progress on this front; It'd be really nice if someone could help me out here.
lambda64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy was I lost in this QlogicISP jungle of the vanilla-sources, but now I finally got my Rawhide AS1200 EV56 400MHz up and running with a 2.6.11.rc4, thanks to you.

Thank you, once agin!
l_tincani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: same problem? Reply with quote

Last fall I start to install Linux gentoo (2004.3) in all our alpha machines (all XP1000).
After some work I have been able to run gentoo on all of them, but nothing to do for one.
The machine was hanging on boot, as descibed into the web page that you find
Quote:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/axp-list/2001-December/msg00083.html

Two weeks ago the new version of AlphaCore1.0 come out (svetlana) and I gived a try to it on this machine...
It works!!! I installed Alpha Core 1.0 without problem of kernel-hanging, everythings works well.
It is a kernel 2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3. (http://alphacore.info)

Unfortunataly it isn't Gentoo.. yum it ok, but portage is better!
I have tried to install portage on a Alpha Core minimal installation, but nothing was working properly.
I mean to much work, a mixing distro and i have not enough time to work on it.

Since the new version of Gentoo 2005.0 is ready i tried it. But the same story: the live/minimal CD is still hanging!!!
Sfrustrated I tried also the Sarge installer and FreeBSD too. No one was working.

As I understood from your discussion I should wait for a new live/minimal CD, with kernel 2.6.11.etc, is it true?
Could you confirm this?
Because if it is true, I have two possibilities:
1. Create my own live/minimal CD (es. catalysis) (time consuming)
2. Up date all my machine to the new kernelk 2.6.11 and mirror one of them on the HD of this one (relatively fast)

I am a bit afraid of what I found in http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-alpha.html about this Qlogic modules.
FreeBSD isn't linux and therefore I hope the new vanilla kernel will contain this module.

This is the machine that cannot boot the live CD:
Quote:

cpu : Alpha
cpu model : EV67
cpu variation : 7
cpu revision : 0
cpu serial number :
system type : Tsunami
system variation : Monet
system revision : 0
system serial number : AY22204021
cycle frequency [Hz] : 666666666
timer frequency [Hz] : 1024.00
page size [bytes] : 8192
phys. address bits : 44
max. addr. space # : 255
BogoMIPS : 1330.04
kernel unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string : COMPAQ Professional Workstation XP1000
cpus detected : 1
L1 Icache : 64K, 2-way, 64b line
L1 Dcache : 64K, 2-way, 64b line
L2 cache : 4096K, 1-way, 64b line
L3 cache : n/a

I am sorry for the english... it isn't my mother tongue!!!

Thanks,

L
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried booting the 2.4 kernel from the 2005.0 livecd? As far as I know that solves the hanging on boxes like XP1000.

Just use
Code:
boot $YOURCDROM -fl 1
in SRM to boot the 2.4 kernel.

If that doesn't work you can still boot the alphacore cd and follow the Gentoo handbook for installation as long as you can get to a shell.

Good luck.
l_tincani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Quote:
Have you tried booting the 2.4 kernel from the 2005.0 livecd? As far as I know that solves the hanging on boxes like XP1000.

Yes I tried every single booting sequence with gentoo... nothing is still hanging.

Quote:
If that doesn't work you can still boot the alphacore cd and follow the Gentoo handbook for installation as long as you can get to a shell.

I am not an expert in doing this, so I am learning making mistakes...
And up to now I couldn't get the macine working with gentoo.

And I have also some problems with the partitions made with AlphaCore (fedora)... and resetting aboot...
and the AlphaCore's cd hasn't a lot of tools used as rescue's CD... once the system is compromise i have to reinstall it.

Do you know some good documentation that can help me? (Shall I try with the LSF book?)

I am worried abot the kernel... I hope that the 2.6.11... is the right one. Otherwise I have to patch it ... and patch it every time.

Thanks,

L
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not so much the kernel version as the fact that I'm trying to make one kernel fit all possible alpha boxes.

Some boxes just don't like the 'Generic' system type very well, so I'll probably have to add one or two more kernels for those models. I don't really like adding kernels though for both space and maintainance reasons but I'm building new experimental livecd which should be available in a couple days. I'll try to include a kernel suited for the XP1000 (and other models that's currently know to hang) on that livecd.
l_tincani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kloeri,
Any news about this kernel?

Quote:
Some boxes just don't like the 'Generic' system type very well, so I'll probably have to add one or two more kernels for those models. I don't really like adding kernels though for both space and maintainance reasons but I'm building new experimental livecd which should be available in a couple days.

Do you need more information about the machine?

I am still looking forward.

All the best,

L
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: