View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: can't find prepimage on original or newer link? Reply with quote

I followed the instructions on
[url] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-417105.html[/url] to build the
kernel, but I can't find the link
[url] http://dev.gentoo.org/~morfic/nslu2/prepimage[/url] does not exist and
[url] http://nyrbs.de/~chilla/projekte/NSLU2/files/[/url] does not have the file
either.

I'm searching the internet, but without luck. Does anybody have a
link for it, or know a different way to prepare the kernel image for
upload?

thanks

guenter
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prepimage.sh
Code:
for a in 343 240 034 002 343 201 020 125 ; do echo -n -e "\0$a" >> preimage.bin ; done ; cat preimage.bin zImage > zImage.ok

What does this do? nslu2 needs a header in the beginning of kernel, so this takes zImage and adds nslu2's requirement header to it's beginning and writes to zImage.ok
roach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying for a couple weeks now to get gentoo on my slug. I can do it, but I can't compile my own kernel. I've been trying to use squawker's glibc stage3. Again, this works, but only with the included kernel. I can't even use Chilla's patches because the vanilla 2.6.14.3 kernel doesn't come with nslu2_setup.c and one other file (ie. you can't pick NSLU2 as a sub-architecture of the IXP4XX architecture). I've tried using the patches from the NSLU2-Linux project. I've also tried building my own OpenSlug image (custom kernel and default kernel). None boot.

Does anybody have a list of the patches (ideally the actually patches) and a config they used to compile a working kernel? All I want actually is to have device-mapper support (I have 2 harddrives, both with LVM. Each drive has a 10GB partition which I've combined into a RAID-1 and the remaining space on the drives have been combined together to form a giant data partition). Squawker's kernel is perfect except for the lack of dm support.

I'd ideally be able to compile my own kernel, but at this stage I'd be happy with a device-mapper enabled kernel if anybody has one...
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: source code for leds.h and leds.c Reply with quote

Can anybody give me a hint where I can find a working source code for the leds.h and leds.c file

I found chilla's sources, but they don't seem to work

I have openslug 3.10 beta installed nd gentoo.

Everything else seems to work for me now. I just wanted to clean up and make it pretty with the led's

sound
giantdisc
mysql
samba

guenter
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work anymore (leds.h and leds.c) afaik.

but / should be in /initrd, so you can find leds from there.
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: led's work Reply with quote

thanks for the hint I got them to work with the following
I used the file from /initrd/sbin/leds - copy it to the /usr/local/sbin/ directory and edit the line 10 and 11 to change the path to /initrd/etc/default/rcS and /initrd/etc/defaults/functions

then the LED's can be activated simply by calling the command

/usr/local/sbin/leds # this will bring up the options
for example to turn on the 1st light green
/usr/local/sbin/leds user
to make the 2nd disk flash slow
/usr/local/sbin/leds disk-2 slow

guenter
roach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody solved the kernel problem yet?
-XoF-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

seems as if I succeeded in sth. causing headaches with some of us sluggies:
compiling a working 2.6.17 kernel using a crossdevel build system.

kernel, .config, modules, a working HDD-Image and a short howto are available here:
http://www.devroot.de/projects/nslu2/

HTH,

-XoF-
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-XoF- wrote:
Hi everyone,

seems as if I succeeded in sth. causing headaches with some of us sluggies:
compiling a working 2.6.17 kernel using a crossdevel build system.

kernel, .config, modules, a working HDD-Image and a short howto are available here:
http://www.devroot.de/projects/nslu2/

HTH,

-XoF-

Thanks a LOT!!!!!!

I checked it out, unfortunately your rootfs used uclibc..
But I checked your docs.. and found firmware stuff from there..

Then I took gnu glibc stage3 (check first page of this thread) copied firmware folder from your dump to it..
Made necessary changes to bootmisc.sh and other stuff..

Installed latest openslug.. Copied modules from it (it's not 2.17, but 2.16, but anyway) and rebooted and IT WORKS!!!!
Finally. I know people here want to build their own kernels and modules, but I rather use openslug, I let people there to do development on kernel and so on, because they make sure every feature on nslu2 is supported. (or atleast try really hard)

this way, it's most easy to keep up to date.

I then ipkg installed rest of modules to my /dev/sda1 mount.. and voila, I got pretty much of stuff :)

Now, when next openslug is released, I just install it, copy /lib/modules/* to my sda1, chroot and run modules-update, after this.. I can unsling and pretty easily, my kernel is once again upgraded.

I'll do some updating to that stage file as it's pretty old, but then I'll put it somewhere to be downloadable, if you are anxious to get it really fast. Just do what I did. (Oh, I also changed every alias of ixp0 to eth0 just to be sure it's compatible with -XoF-'s work)

Finally we got it. With gnu libc :)

Last edited by jake1981 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:52 am; edited 3 times in total
-XoF-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

since chilla's howto helped me a lot with installing gentoo on my slug, I took some efforts and continued the english version, which now includes the milestones. My small kernel-howto is now also integrated into the wiki:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_on_NSLU2

HTH,

-XoF-
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jake1981"]
-XoF- wrote:
Hi everyone,
There's this one thing that I think could be tweaked. Behaviour of power button. When I press power button, gentooslug just reboots instead of shutting down. But I don't know how this could be changed. Is behaviour of power button hardcoded to kernel? Or is it calling a script or command somewhere on harddisk? Can location of call changed?

I spoke about this with openslug dev's and found out that this is pretty easy to tweak. Power button just emulates press of CTRL-ALT-DEL, and if I want to change event that comes when power button is pressed, I can change it pretty easily from /etc/inittab
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STATUS report:

* FIXED: Changed iproute2 to be used instead of ifconfig. After this no more frequent network connectivity issues existed.
* Installed udhcp. Tested it and came aware of fact that it works.
* Updated portage
* Installed some tools that help while emerging ( confcache and ccache )
* Installed gentoolkit (contains revdep-rebuild ) and portage-utils (might come in handy)
* Led activity mimics openslug behaviour.
I made initscript for controlling this. Initscript also has a configuration file in /etc/conf.d which eases it
for user to change leds and beeping behaviour to user's liking. I also made ebuild for this which is included
in tarball when it's ready to be released.
* Beep patched with openembedded patch and installed (also portage overlay includes this ebuild)
* Installed dropbear along with openssh. It's lighter and not so great as openssh.. but needs less memory, so..
Well, as openssh can co-exist with it, we still can have scp and sftp..
* Installed distcc and made necessary changes for cross-compiling stuff for e.g. on x86..
* Changed behaviour of power button. Now powerbutton shuts slug down instead of rebooting.
* Slug get's it's IP address from dhcp as default. If this doesn't work out, then slug takes IP address 10.0.0.20, and uses
vlans 0 and 1 to get 192.168.0.77 and 192.168.1.77 so most users should be able to have access to their slugs right
after install without any problems.
* Installed linux-headers, but masked newer than 2.6.16 headers since openslug uses kernel 2.6.16
* Installed glibc-2.3.6.-r4, I didn't force install of glibc-2.4 as openslug also uses 2.3 versions and I don't want to install
glibc too many times just because I noticed that 2.4 isn't compatible :) (I don't know how well 2.4 would perform)
* Installed gcc-3.4.6-r4, thought about installing also version 4, but earlier when I tried, compilation always failed on gcc4
and if someone wants gcc4.. he can emerge it by himself.
* Created nslu2-sources-2.6.16.ebuild into portage overlay. This installs kernel sources and defconfig(/.config) file which
was used when compiling kernel for openslug/slugos-3.10-beta. With this, user is supposed to be able to compile new
modules to system from portage, for e.g. spca5xx or fuse..
* apache2, php and mysql emerged. Emerging supplemental software to image kind of fights against idea of gentoo,
letting people decide what they install with which flags and so on, but I thought of it this way: There's lot of usable
software available that could be used with gentooslug. All stuff that there is.. Just can't be used at same time because
of limitations of NSLU2, but.. it's a lot faster to run emerge -C than emerge mysql, apache and php for example :)
And if I haven't enabled enough flags, people still can re-emerge packages, but if it is even partially complete already..
I think, I've helped out a lot then..
* Installed software for burning cd's and dvd's.
* Created and emerged ebuilds:
app-misc/nslu2leds-0.1 <- control leds of nslu2
sys-fs/nslu2rules-0.1 <- turn on/off led for disk2 when mass storage device connected to usb2 (udev rule) and turn
on led-1 light on system startup (simple command in /etc/conf.d/local.start)
sys-kernel/nslu2init-0.1 <- loads firmware for ixp4xx
app-misc/nslu2events-0.1 <- change led & beep config on various nslu2 events (boot,startup,shutdown)
* System & World updated.
* Wrote a README file to root's homedir.
* Files published.

NEXT:
* Update wiki entry about GentooSLUG on nslu2-linux's wiki
* Write something to gentoo-wiki about this?

INFO: Unfortunately, when I compiled kernel natively on slug and modules, and then tried to emerge fuse and spca5xx, insmod failed on fuse and spca5xx (yes, I did depmod them first) so that didn't work out then.

Last edited by jake1981 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow -- lot of good stuff

So did you compile a new kernel, or are you using still openslug as the kernel?

Can you tell me more about the powerbutton fix? It sounds like that's what I was seeing as well (does not shutdown proper) and a proper shutdown with the button would be nice.

Also I have my system finished:

music server alla [url] http://www.giantdisc.org [/url] with palm pilot control.

I do have a tar ball around 170MB of the working installation (no mp3's included)

If anybody wants to host it let me know.

Guenter

Last edited by linbox on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linbox wrote:
wow -- lot of good stuff

Thanks. Compiling under slug is slow. So I rather decided to make a big image where user is able
to remove non-wanted software as it's faster and installing wanted software. Ofcourse everything isn't
there. That would be impossible :) But I think most of stuff that user could want use is there..

Quote:
So did you compile a new kernel, or are you using still openslug as the kernel?

This works with both, previously introduced 2.6.17 and with openslug. Personally I prefer openslug,
since this way, there's a crew out there working on kernel fixes and patches designed for nslu2.

Quote:

Can you tell me more about the powerbutton fix? It sounds like that's what I was seeing as well (does not shutdown proper) and a proper shutdown with the button would be nice.

Yes. Powerbutton just emulates press of CTRL-ALT-DEL. Check your /etc/inittab to see if your slug rather reboots
than shuts down. If there already is halt, then your kernel lacks some nslu2 patches. (This is one of the reasons why I
wanted to use openslug kernel, and I also can boot up in "maintenance mode" without disk with openslug)

Quote:

Also I have my system finished:

music server alla [url] http://www.giantdisc.org [/url] with palm pilot control.

I do have a tar ball around 170MB of the working installation (now mp3's included)

If anybody wants to host it let me know.

Guenter

Sounds great. And a lot smaller than my glibc featured install :)
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second edition of my gentooslug build has been published.

Last edited by jake1981 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: I'll have a build soon too Reply with quote

My build will be an "armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu" build with gcc4.1.1-r1 and glibc2.4-r3.

It probably won't be as polished as Jake's version. More details when the last "emerge -e world" finishes.

-J
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: sound recording with the slug Reply with quote

did anybody successfully compile any soundrecording software for the slug yet?

I tried sox and it failed and ecasound.

Or does anybody know software that lets me record through the soundcard on the slug?

I keep looking, but any hint or idea would help

guenter
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: sound recording with the slug Reply with quote

linbox wrote:
did anybody successfully compile any soundrecording software for the slug yet?

I tried sox and it failed and ecasound.

Or does anybody know software that lets me record through the soundcard on the slug?

I keep looking, but any hint or idea would help

guenter

Both should compile just fine on my build(s)..
But if you have uclibc linux, it will limit possibilities a lot..
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooSLUG 2nd edition

File size. 235MB.
Project website/download site: http://www.roadrunner.cx/gentooslug
Readme/instructions: http://www.roadrunner.cx/gentooslug/README

Changelog for 2nd edition:
* Upgrades to system and world.
* gentooslug now contains both gcc-3.4.6 and gcc-4.1.1
* Removed linking /dev/random to /dev/urandom. This caused some system halts.
* Fixed tarball to install ./* instead of sda1/*

Quick-install:
Create 2 partitions on your usb drive.
/dev/sda1 - ext3, 2gb or more.
/dev/sda2 - swap, I gave it 1gb but your mileage may vary.

mount /dev/sda1 under /mnt/sda1.
Code:

# cd /mnt/sda1
# tar xvjf /location-of-downloaded-file/gentooslug.tar.bz2

After this, copy portage tree from your desktop computer or use one
on my website. (Unpack it to /usr/portage)

Install openslug-3.10-beta to your slug. Check rest of stuff from README.

For your information, this is now the last update coming from me for now.

Want to help me host this..?
I'd really be thankful for that. My line is only 8M/1M and used for lot of stuff so
if you think and feel interested in hosting, be my guest. Post address of new download site
to here please.
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Way to not slam jake's server Reply with quote

wget --limit-rate=10k http://www.roadrunner.cx/gentooslug/gentooslug.tar.bz2

I grabbbed it last night (to compare to my eventual version) and used the above command to limit my hitting of jake's precious bandwidth to 80kbps of his 1Mbps connection.

Thanks Jake!

I'll have my version ready in the not too distant future. Fully built with 4.1.1 and a 2.4 glibc based on a beta openslug 4.0 build with a 2.6.17 kernel.

-Josh
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to not slam jake's server Reply with quote

joshin wrote:
wget --limit-rate=10k http://www.roadrunner.cx/gentooslug/gentooslug.tar.bz2

I grabbbed it last night (to compare to my eventual version) and used the above command to limit my hitting of jake's precious bandwidth to 80kbps of his 1Mbps connection.

Thanks Jake!

I'll have my version ready in the not too distant future. Fully built with 4.1.1 and a 2.4 glibc based on a beta openslug 4.0 build with a 2.6.17 kernel.

-Josh

Yeah. Thanks for saving some of my bandwidth by limiting rate :)

Last edited by jake1981 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Jake and I spent about 2 hours in #nslu2-general this morning (for me) and I gave him all the info I had for getting glibc2.4 to build along with a build of openslug 4.0-beta that is built with 2.6.17 kernel so he may have another build coming with some of my changes.

I'm going to try a more recent openslug 4.0-beta build that is built with 2.6.18 as well as the new non-intel ethernet driver and will post where it and my gentoo build can be found when done.

-Josh
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks Joshin. I already have started building. Glibc-2.4-r3 is already integrated and I am doing a emerge -e system as we speak (Currently without distcc since I haven't got a proper cross compiling environment with:

binutils-2.17
gcc-4.1.1-r1
linux-headers-2.6.16
glibc-2.4-r3

Compiling glibc-2.4-r3 for my cross compilation environment fails everytime, as I need to USE="ntpl nptlonly" as it's required. But it fails with these options too. I'm working on it and doing a native emerge until I get it working.
It stops while configuring for glibc. It says:
Code:
configure: error: compiler support for __thread is required

I also have succesfully compiled:
fuse-2.6.0_pre3 (with kernel module for openslug-3.10-beta/2.6.16)
gspcav1 kernel module for openslug-3.10-beta/2.6.16 (known as spca5xx earlier)

and possibly ov511 drivers but this isn't tested since I don't have such device. But I'm searching
for guy named voodoo2 on nslu2-linux irc channel who requested this.

I was also planning to compile these modules for 2.6.17 kernel, which was on openslug-4.0 which I got from Joshin, but didn't do this as that version propably isn't going to be in mainstream, unless Joshin needs fuse or gspcav1 modules :)

Also I have talked with a developer of nslu2/openslug and we have had some discussion about subject of hosting gentooslug at same server as other slug firmware files.
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: network failes during bootup with opengentoo Reply with quote

jake

I installed your tar file and tried to boot, but the network does not seem to start up.
I do have openslug 3.10 beta installed.

here are the messages

Code:

Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost TCP bic registered
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost NET: Registered protocol family 1
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost x1205 0-006f: setting the system clock to 2006-10-09 14:45:01 (1160405101)
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem) readonly.
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost Freeing init memory: 92K
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost Vendor: HITACHI_  Model: DK23FA-60         Rev: 00M4
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost SCSI device sda: 117210240 512-byte hdwr sectors (60012 MB)
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: Write Protect is off
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: Mode Sense: 00 14 00 00
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: assuming drive cache: write through
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost SCSI device sda: 117210240 512-byte hdwr sectors (60012 MB)
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: Write Protect is off
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: Mode Sense: 00 14 00 00
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: assuming drive cache: write through
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sda: sda1 sda2
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost usb-storage: device scan complete
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost usbcore: registered new driver snd-usb-audio
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost Unable to handle swap header version 16777216
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400: Module init.
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: Initializing IXP400 NPE Ethernet driver software v. 1.5
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: CPU clock speed (approx) = 266 MHz
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost [message] ixEthMiiPhyScan, Mii 1: Mii PHY ID 00008201
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: Found PHY 0 at address 1
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: ethernet 0 using NPEB and the PHY at address 1
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: Use default MAC address 00:02:b3:01:01:01 for port 0
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: MAC address now set to 00:0f:66:7f:96:92 for port 0
Oct  9 16:46:32 localhost ixp400_eth: Use default MAC address 00:02:b3:02:02:02 for port 1
Oct  9 16:46:43 localhost rc-scripts: network interface eth0 does not exist
Oct  9 16:46:43 localhost rc-scripts: Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
Oct  9 16:46:43 localhost rc-scripts: network interface eth0 does not exist
Oct  9 16:46:43 localhost rc-scripts: Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
Oct  9 16:46:47 localhost rc-scripts: ERROR:  cannot start dropbear as net.eth0 could not start
Oct  9 16:46:50 localhost rc-scripts: ERROR:  cannot start netmount as net.eth0 could not start

my system starts fine with my install. I wanted to get yours running to install some programs that I can't get to work with my installation (recording software)
guenter

Any idea if I miss something?
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

Rebuild gcc first with "ntpl nptlonly" added to your USE and then you can build glibc without a problem.

-Josh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: