View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Slug? Linksys NSLU2 Reply with quote

bxwen wrote:
I downloaded squawker's tar ball and update to gcc 4.1.1, and now I am doing emerge -e system.

I would like to compile the kernel with the new gcc also. But squawkeer didn't include the src in the tar ball. I was trying to follow the instruction http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_on_NSLU2#Compiling_a_kernel, but the information is a little outdated. The makefile patch http://www.devroot.de/projects/nslu2/makefile.patch is not accessable. Now I get a kernel, but the intel ixp drivers are not compiled.

question: How can I compile the intel ixp drivers.

Thanks.

bxwen

My image should already contain gcc-4.1.1-r1 as far as I remember.. Might wanna try that out..

Okay, I have no idea what squawkeer's image is like, is it dependant on openslug or what..
But you can't hold kernel in initrd or hd and expect nslu2 to load it from there..
Kernel must be uploaded with upslug2 tool.. Check it's command line options..

I would keep using openslug instead of trying my own kernel, it's already optimized for nslu2 and it's known to work..

But I realize that you are missing some modules and need them..
So don't compile a new kernel..

Get kernel that was used with openslug, then download gcc from openslug ipk repository, unpack it somewhere and
use that gcc to compile modules you are missing (modules need to be compiled with same version of gcc that was used for kernel).. That's how I compiled spca5xx module (tested it with creative's webcam, it worked just great)

I would suggest that method, I once tried to use my own kernels too but I just was able to render my slug to useless piece of plastic, so that's why I decided to stick with kernel provided by nslu2-linux dev team. If you do your own kernel, you need to get rid of openslug propably too, and hardcode root=/dev/sda1 to kernel..

Sounds simple and so on, but I didn't like this way, as using upslug allows me to have root=/dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 or what ever I want.. If you want to publish your work, I wouldn't recommend forcing end-users to use /dev/sda1..
It might already be used for NTFS partition full of data and there's nowhere space enough for saving all that stuff :)

Sorry guys, 2 long and boring messages.. Must be because I'm so tired..
bxwen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Slug? Linksys NSLU2 Reply with quote

Hi jake, glad to see that you are back.

My whole system now is compiled with gcc 4.1.1-r3, with distcc running on my desktop also. The only problem is that I am still using the kernel from squawker, which can be found in the first page of this thread. The kernel is 2.6.14.7, and compiled with gcc 3.4.5.

Although the system is working so far, with rTorrent, apache, php, mysql, samba, I am still afraid that something bad would happen if I don't have an updated kernel. Squawker made the kernel following chilla's guide. But the guide has become so outdated that many of the files are not accessable anymore.

Can you show me how to compile Openslug kernel with gcc 4?

BTW, my slug, de-underclocked, has never crashed my hard drive. I don't remember it has crashed at all.

bxwen
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Slug? Linksys NSLU2 Reply with quote

bxwen wrote:
Hi jake, glad to see that you are back.

My whole system now is compiled with gcc 4.1.1-r3, with distcc running on my desktop also. The only problem is that I am still using the kernel from squawker, which can be found in the first page of this thread. The kernel is 2.6.14.7, and compiled with gcc 3.4.5.

Although the system is working so far, with rTorrent, apache, php, mysql, samba, I am still afraid that something bad would happen if I don't have an updated kernel. Squawker made the kernel following chilla's guide. But the guide has become so outdated that many of the files are not accessable anymore.

Can you show me how to compile Openslug kernel with gcc 4?

BTW, my slug, de-underclocked, has never crashed my hard drive. I don't remember it has crashed at all.

bxwen

To compile kernel for openslug with gcc4.. You would need to compile openslug. Go to nslu2-linux, read information about MasterMakefile, join their yahoo group, there's a lot of information about next version of openslug that will make many things better than now.. Get to their irc channel ( irc.freenode.net #nslu2-linux and #openslug or #slugos ) people there might be able to help you.. Current (3.10 beta) openslug kernel is compiled with 3.x.x version, but is better than squawker's kernel. Squawker's image won't work "out of the box" with openslug, you need to do what my image does for openslug ( was it in /etc/init.d/nslu2-init if I remember correctly? )

This should get you a nice start.. And you DON'T want to compile MasterMakefile on your slug.. It takes ages even on PC :) Good luck.
bxwen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Slug? Linksys NSLU2 Reply with quote

jake1981 wrote:

To compile kernel for openslug with gcc4.. You would need to compile openslug. Go to nslu2-linux, read information about MasterMakefile, join their yahoo group, there's a lot of information about next version of openslug that will make many things better than now.. Get to their irc channel ( irc.freenode.net #nslu2-linux and #openslug or #slugos ) people there might be able to help you.. Current (3.10 beta) openslug kernel is compiled with 3.x.x version, but is better than squawker's kernel. Squawker's image won't work "out of the box" with openslug, you need to do what my image does for openslug ( was it in /etc/init.d/nslu2-init if I remember correctly? )

This should get you a nice start.. And you DON'T want to compile MasterMakefile on your slug.. It takes ages even on PC :) Good luck.

Jake:

I tried your tar ball and encountered two problems:

1. hwclock freezes. I have to copy hwclock from the openslug image, but the syntax doesn't really match. I'll try to edit /etc/init.d/clock to correct the syntax.

2. in the nslu2init, there is a line copy IxNpeMicrocode.dat to /dev/ixNpe. It complains that /dev/ixNpe doesn't exist, although there is a node under /dev/ called ixNpe. So I didn't get network connection. Any idea how to correct this problem?

I got the information from serial port. I have to edit /etc/inittab to enable s0.
bxwen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-XoF- wrote:
Hi everyone,

since chilla's howto helped me a lot with installing gentoo on my slug, I took some efforts and continued the english version, which now includes the milestones. My small kernel-howto is now also integrated into the wiki:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_on_NSLU2

HTH,

-XoF-

Hi XoF:

Would you please update your kernel how to? I cannot follow it. Some links are not accessable. Thanks.

bxwen
bxwen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Slug? Linksys NSLU2 Reply with quote

bxwen wrote:

Jake:

I tried your tar ball and encountered two problems:

1. hwclock freezes. I have to copy hwclock from the openslug image, but the syntax doesn't really match. I'll try to edit /etc/init.d/clock to correct the syntax.

2. in the nslu2init, there is a line copy IxNpeMicrocode.dat to /dev/ixNpe. It complains that /dev/ixNpe doesn't exist, although there is a node under /dev/ called ixNpe. So I didn't get network connection. Any idea how to correct this problem?

I got the information from serial port. I have to edit /etc/inittab to enable s0.

Now everything runs perfect:
1. a simbolic link rtc->rtc0 solved the hwclock problem
2. as you suggested I just switched to the openslug kernel, and copied over the ixp400 and ixp400_eth modules. No microcode needed.
Thanks a lot.
bxwen
nglrossi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Slug? Linksys NSLU2 Reply with quote

jake1981 wrote:
bxwen wrote:
I downloaded squawker's tar ball and update to gcc 4.1.1, and now I am doing emerge -e system.

I would like to compile the kernel with the new gcc also. But squawkeer didn't include the src in the tar ball. I was trying to follow the instruction http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_on_NSLU2#Compiling_a_kernel, but the information is a little outdated. The makefile patch http://www.devroot.de/projects/nslu2/makefile.patch is not accessable. Now I get a kernel, but the intel ixp drivers are not compiled.

question: How can I compile the intel ixp drivers.

Thanks.

bxwen

My image should already contain gcc-4.1.1-r1 as far as I remember.. Might wanna try that out..

Okay, I have no idea what squawkeer's image is like, is it dependant on openslug or what..
But you can't hold kernel in initrd or hd and expect nslu2 to load it from there..
Kernel must be uploaded with upslug2 tool.. Check it's command line options..

[...]

D'oh!!!

Thanks..
superjoesmoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a bunch of people had problems with their slug where after applying jake's image, eth2 was showing instead of eth0. i've had the same problem and i've fixed it by unmerging udev 103 and removing all the udev files from /etc. Re-emerging udev 103, rebooted and eth0 now shows. hope this helps someone.
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjoesmoe wrote:
i know a bunch of people had problems with their slug where after applying jake's image, eth2 was showing instead of eth0. i've had the same problem and i've fixed it by unmerging udev 103 and removing all the udev files from /etc. Re-emerging udev 103, rebooted and eth0 now shows. hope this helps someone.

Yeah, I would had also tried to fix this but as I wasn't able to replicate this problem with my slug.. It was kind of impossible..
How about someone would fix this into a clean installation of my gentooSlug and put it somewhere so I could update my slug so it would work on slugs from both generations..?
bxwen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jake1981 wrote:

Yeah, I would had also tried to fix this but as I wasn't able to replicate this problem with my slug.. It was kind of impossible..
How about someone would fix this into a clean installation of my gentooSlug and put it somewhere so I could update my slug so it would work on slugs from both generations..?

I never had this problem either. As suggested by you I am now using the original openslug so it is eth0 always.
RedLeg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjoesmoe wrote:

I have been able to duplicate the issue on my two slugs. Interestingly, at one point, one of them was showing eth3....

In any case, your fix worked for me in both cases..... MANY THANKS!
Registered Linux User #16422,
Oldest Registered machine #5166
RedLeg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Trouble compiling (upgrading) iproute2 Reply with quote

Anyone else having this problem?
Code:

(emerge -u iproute2)

armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu-gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -Os -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -I../include -DRESOLVE_HOSTNAMES -DCONFIG_GACT -DCONFIG_GACT_PROB   -c -o m_pedit.o m_pedit.c
In file included from m_ipt.c:21:
../include/iptables.h:56: warning: 'struct xt_entry_match' declared inside parameter list
../include/iptables.h:56: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
../include/iptables.h:63: warning: 'struct xt_entry_match' declared inside parameter list
../include/iptables.h:70: warning: 'struct xt_entry_match' declared inside parameter list
../include/iptables.h:74: warning: 'struct xt_entry_match' declared inside parameter list
m_ipt.c: In function 'build_st':
m_ipt.c:356: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to incomplete type 'struct xt_entry_target'
m_ipt.c:360: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
m_ipt.c:364: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
m_ipt.c:368: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
m_ipt.c: In function 'parse_ipt':
m_ipt.c:499: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
m_ipt.c: In function 'print_ipt':
m_ipt.c:547: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
m_ipt.c:559: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
distcc[18337] ERROR: compile m_ipt.c on stank failed
make[1]: *** [m_ipt.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
rm emp_ematch.lex.c emp_ematch.yacc.c
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/iproute2-2.6.19.20061214/work/iproute2-2.6.19-061214/tc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/iproute2-2.6.19.20061214 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1610:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 970:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  environment, line 2982:   Called src_compile
  iproute2-2.6.19.20061214.ebuild, line 69:   Called die

This is from an otherwise current OpenJakeGentooSlug....

TIA
Registered Linux User #16422,
Oldest Registered machine #5166
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Stage 4 or stage 3 available ? Reply with quote

So ... anyone with a updated stage 4 available or a updated stage3 ?
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, never mind, i got it up already but im having problems getting iptables installed, it is asking me for the kernel sources or the kernel module however there is no sources in /usr/src does some one know a way to do this without installing gentoo-sources ? if not, do i use gentoo-sources or some other sources for the kernel, do i have to patch it afterwards ?

thanks in advanced
shrimp123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: nslu2 and hdparm Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for all the effort that makes me job a lot easier. Here is a question:

usb-2.0 enclosurewith sata drive.

connect to a PC, hdparm -tT /dev/sdb --> about 20MB/s
connect to nslu2, hdparm -tT /dev/sda --> only 7.89 MB/s
<yes i rmmod u/ohci-hcd to be sure i uses ehci)

i am waiting for : "Let there be light"

thanks,
Shrimp
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: nslu2 and hdparm Reply with quote

shrimp123 wrote:
Hi,

thanks for all the effort that makes me job a lot easier. Here is a question:

usb-2.0 enclosurewith sata drive.

connect to a PC, hdparm -tT /dev/sdb --> about 20MB/s
connect to nslu2, hdparm -tT /dev/sda --> only 7.89 MB/s
<yes i rmmod u/ohci-hcd to be sure i uses ehci)

i am waiting for : "Let there be light"

thanks,
Shrimp
humm i will do some tests as soon as i get home. i can do one now in the NSLU2 since it is online. i will run one in a few minutes and post results latter at night
shrimp123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he gets the same on nslu2 also. now we need a confirmation from a normal pc!

Overclocking the NSLU2

S

*edit* shortened the link so it fits on screens <3560x1200 -- think4urs11
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is mine in my nslu2

Code:
MiniMe supahfastah # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:    92 MB in  2.03 seconds =  45.39 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   40 MB in  3.05 seconds =  13.10 MB/sec

it is currently hosting http://www.orvtech.com so i think it could be faster if i turn down the apache, bind, torrents, etc...
shrimp123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm!

so i have a kernel setting issue.?

how do i check if its using true-usb-2.0 (does it mean anything saying it his way?)

even then, <if possible> can u try connecting the usb-drive to a normal pc and checking hdparm. i am sure u will get a lot higher. i want to understand why. i dont need a fast disk access, but, would be nice to know the limitation :)

S
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. i will do it tonight. in the mean time take a look at my modules:
Code:
 # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
af_packet              18376  0
iptable_filter          1440  1
ip_tables              11528  1 iptable_filter
x_tables                8068  1 ip_tables
ixp400_eth             24156  0
ixp400                949188  1 ixp400_eth
ext3                  109864  1
jbd                    45940  1 ext3
mbcache                 5540  1 ext3

but i do think this has more to do with the kenrel that boots the nslu2 up than the actual modules that reside in the gentoo installation
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: change baud rate default setting on bootup Reply with quote

Does anyboy know how to change the default 115000 baud setting on bootup.
I attached a lcd display onto the serial port, but it can not handle 115000 it can only handle up to 57000 and the default is 9600.

I there a way to change the bootup command to reflect a slower baudrate?

Or do I have to do some changes to the area explained here
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/RedBootSequence

thanks

Guenter
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas about this error?

Code:

armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc-strip -x -R .note -R .comment syscall.o
armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing  -mbig-endian -mtune=xscale -march=armv4 -Wa,-mcpu=xscale -msoft-float  -fstack-protector -fno-builtin -nostdinc -D_LIBC -I../../../../include -I.  -fstrict-aliasing -Os -funit-at-a-time   -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/4.1.2/include -DNDEBUG -fPIC -D_DL_FINI_CRT_COMPAT -c ioperm.c -o ioperm.o
ioperm.c:47:22: error: asm/page.h: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [ioperm.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc/sysdeps/linux/arm'
make[3]: *** [arm] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc/sysdeps/linux'
make[2]: *** [_dir_linux] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc/sysdeps'
make[1]: *** [_dir_sysdeps] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc'
make: *** [_dir_libc] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1615:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 972:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
  uclibc-0.9.28.1.ebuild, line 386:   Called die

!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/temp/build.log'.

MiniMe etc # emerge -eDNp uclibc

jamesb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orvtech wrote:

Code:

armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing  -mbig-endian -mtune=xscale -march=armv4 -Wa,-mcpu=xscale -msoft-float  -fstack-protector -fno-builtin -nostdinc -D_LIBC -I../../../../include -I.  -fstrict-aliasing -Os -funit-at-a-time   -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/4.1.2/include -DNDEBUG -fPIC -D_DL_FINI_CRT_COMPAT -c ioperm.c -o ioperm.o
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc/sysdeps/linux/arm'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc/sysdeps/linux'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc/sysdeps'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/work/uClibc-0.9.28.1/libc'

Call stack:

!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.28.1/temp/build.log'.

According to this bug report on glibc:

http://sourceware.org/ml/glibc-bugs/2007-04/msg00107.html

asm/page.h has been removed from the latest linux headers, commenting out the offending #include line in ioperm.c allows the build to complete.

I cant find a bug report on bugs.gentoo.org or bugs.uclibc.org for this, maybe try going back to an earlier linux-headers ?
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesb wrote:
orvtech wrote:

Code:

Call stack:

!!! make failed

According to this bug report on glibc:

http://sourceware.org/ml/glibc-bugs/2007-04/msg00107.html

asm/page.h has been removed from the latest linux headers, commenting out the offending #include line in ioperm.c allows the build to complete.

I cant find a bug report on bugs.gentoo.org or bugs.uclibc.org for this, maybe try going back to an earlier linux-headers ?
kk, i did a stage4 backup and decided to start from scratch. if i can duplicate this error this time i will try this, if not i will try to narrow down what caused this problem so that it can be documented.
eglinz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Jake's nslu2 gentoo image eth2 vs eth0 Reply with quote

superjoesmoe wrote:

It looks like /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules contains several rules like:

Quote:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:18:39:36:39:e1", NAME="eth0"

The copy of the file found in jake's image already had eth0 and eth1 defined, so when I started gentoo on my NSLU2, it added a new line for it's MAC address and assigned it eth2. To fix this, you can either reorganize the eth assignments, or just delete the file, and udev 103 will use /etc/udev/rules.d/persistent-net-generator.rules to generate a new 70-persistent-net.rules on the next reboot. I don't know if this will work on older udev builds.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: