List Files And Decription for An ebuild
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeHappySmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: List Files And Decription for An ebuild Reply with quote

I am a Free/OpenBSD user experimenting with gentoo. In the BSD world, a "port" is analogous to an ebuild. Each "port" has a file that describes it briefly and a file that lists all files that it will install. It provides a simple way to browse the ports (portage) tree.

I have not found a way to get similar information from the portage system.

Put simply,
1. How do I get list of files an ebuild will install?
2. How do I get a description of a specific ebuild (without doing emerge search)?
chadh

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: List Files And Decription for An ebuild Reply with quote

MikeHappySmith wrote:
1. How do I get list of files an ebuild will install?

Well, the first issue is that, due to the flexibility provided by USE flags and different architectures, it is not possible to exactly know the list of files that will be installed. Once you have merged a package, you can look at /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package>-<version>/CONTENTS to see what it did install. You can also just install the package inside the sandbox (before actually merging into the live filesystem) and see what will be installed.

MikeHappySmith wrote:
2. How do I get a description of a specific ebuild (without doing emerge search)?

I think qpkg (part of the gentoolkit ebuild) will list that, or you can open up the ebuild file. But what is wrong with emerge search?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: