Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sound card drivers in wrong place -- used to work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: sound card drivers in wrong place -- used to work Reply with quote

My (alsa) sound was working for awhile. Then I started installing things and some things broke. I'm not sure all my config files are correct (I see it chattering about snd-card-1 at boot when I swear the aliases that map snd-card-1 to snd-card-intel8x0 exist...)

It's probably related to it not being able to find my card's driver when it attempts to load it. When I try manually, I get this:

lucky a # modprobe snd-card-intel8x0
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-intel8x0
lucky a # locate intel8x
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-card-intel8x0.o
lucky a #

So, see the snd-card-intel8x0 library module in the 2.4.19-r1 tree, but not in the 2.4.19-gentoo-r1 tree? That seems like a big piece of the problem. I'd gladly recompile it into 2.4.19-gentoo-r1 if I could figure out how. I had tried to just copy the .o's from -r1 to -gentoo-r1, but I ended up with some unresolved dependencis (shown by depmod -a).

My modules.autoload has both snd-card-intel8x0 and snd-pcm-oss (snd-pcm-oss works manually).

Suggestions? I've searched all sort of things and can't figure it out.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: sound card drivers in wrong place -- used to work Reply with quote

billy wrote:
Suggestions? I've searched all sort of things and can't figure it out.

Do you happen to have your kernel config file for you old kernel where alsa was working? (maybe /usr/src/linux/.config.old ?)

If so, diff that with your new kernel config file (/usr/src/linux/.config) and see if there's any sound-related differences. My guess is you don't have the right settings in your current kernel config.

--kurt
billy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great suggestion -- and now I know that I haven't been good at saving the configs. Since I've recompiled twice since it broke, I'm thinking that I've lost the good config. And I've just been using the same config everytime -- not doing a "save to alternate file".

Maybe I shouldn't be using menuconfig. There's probably something cooler, right?

So, I'll look thru my "notes" from when I got it working the first time, and check the kernel config to see what I could have done. (I must have REMOVED something, right? Or could I have added something that has now created a conflict?)

What's the difference between the -r1 and the -gentoo-r1 trees? In my previously-working kernel (for which I've lost the kernel config), I must have been working off the -r1 tree. But now I'm in the -gentoo-r1 tree, I guess. I wonder if I can delete the -r1 tree...
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: re-emerge alsa-driver Reply with quote

If you did compile a new kernel, you have to re-emerge the alsa-driver package, to get the alsa sound drivers updated, too. They will install in the correct directory, too ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: