Compiling Alsa support directly into kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonasforssell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Compiling Alsa support directly into kernel Reply with quote

Hello,

I grew tired of the struggle with alsa modules and decided to try compiling support directly into the kernel since I found the driver there.
I also enabled oss support.

To my surprise KDE worked well and so far no problems. The only thing is that alsa complains during startup about the modules and no module is apparently loaded (it still works though)

My questions are now:

1. Can I de-emerge the alsa-driver and alsa-oss packages now, and things will still work?

2. The alsasound scrips is given boot status. Do I need this or can I remove that one as well? How do I do that with rc-updae?

Thanks!
/Jonas
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with compiling ALSA into the kernel is, the USE flag forces an alsa-driver (more specifically and alsa-lib dependancy, which depends on alsa-driver) to be merged with the program that is to add support into it.

Even the alsa-lib ebuild won't recognise support in the kernel and will fail to build without the alsa-driver package being installed, which won't work at all if you have alsa build into the kernel.

Portage hasn't learnt to cope with alsa in non-module form yet, but as it's in the 2.6 kernel, and that kernel being released quite soon, I imagine support will be popping up soon.

In answer to your questions... Yes, you can chuck the alsa* ebuilds, except that alsa programs won't build without alsa-lib installed, so you have to remove the alsa USE flag, and yes, you can get rid of the alsasound boot script, you no longer need it.

Do this by:
Code:
# rc-update del alsasound
and everything should be hunky dory!

Hope I've helped,
Chris
encrypted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: What I did was.. Reply with quote

I also compiled alsa into my kernel, I prefer it in there so I dont have to recompile alsa support seperatly when I change kernels. I kept the alsa USE flag so apps would be compiled with alsa support, first emerge I done started to install alsa-drivers, so I wipped out my text editor and edited the alsa-lib ebuild file to not depend on alsa-drivers and now everything works great.

Changing it is very simple, backup the ebuild:
/usr/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib/alsa-lib-0.9.0_rc6.ebuild in my case.

Edit the file in your favourite text editor and find the lines that look like this:
Code:

DEPEND="virtual/glibc
   ~media-sound/alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc6"

and change them to look like this:
Code:

DEPEND="virtual/glibc"

And voila, done, now alsa-libs wont depend on alsa-driver.

Also remember that when the package is updated (or possibly after an emerge sync??) the dependencies will be back and you will need to zap alsa-driver again.
ebike
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What I did was.. Reply with quote

encrypted wrote:
I also compiled alsa into my kernel, I prefer it in there so I dont have to recompile alsa support seperatly when I change kernels. I kept the alsa USE flag so apps would be compiled with alsa support, first emerge I done started to install alsa-drivers, so I wipped out my text editor and edited the alsa-lib ebuild file to not depend on alsa-drivers and now everything works great.

Changing it is very simple, backup the ebuild:
/usr/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib/alsa-lib-0.9.0_rc6.ebuild in my case.

Edit the file in your favourite text editor and find the lines that look like this:
Code:

DEPEND="virtual/glibc
   ~media-sound/alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc6"

and change them to look like this:
Code:

DEPEND="virtual/glibc"

And voila, done, now alsa-libs wont depend on alsa-driver.

Also remember that when the package is updated (or possibly after an emerge sync??) the dependencies will be back and you will need to zap alsa-driver again.

Hi,

Can you tell me how to compile Alsa into the kernel, I did not see it as a driver in 2.4.19, is it in 2.4.20??

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: