matlab trouble [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: matlab trouble [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble running Matlab 7R14. When I run it from the command line, I only get this information:

Code:
sh-2.05b$ /usr/share/matlab/bin/matlab
head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed in the future
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/generic/dl-tls.c: 72: _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx' failed!
sh-2.05b$

I think this has something to do with the nvidia drivers because when I change my xorg.conf file to load the nv driver, it starts up fine.

here is my xorg.conf file:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "xorg Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
   InputDevice    "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
   ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
#   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
#   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "type1"
#   Load  "speedo"
   Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "ps/2"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/misc/psaux"
#   Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
   Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse1"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "imps/2"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "Dell"
   ModelName    "Digital Flat Panel 1600x1200@60Hz"
   HorizSync    30 - 100
   VertRefresh  60
   Modeline     "1600x1200@60Hz(VESA)" 162.0 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsync
#   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"

Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "NVidia"
#   BoardName   "0x0174"
#   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
   Option     "NoLogo" "1"
   Option     "NvAGP" "1"
#   Option       "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
#   Option     "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
#   Option     "TwinView"
#   Option     "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
#   Option     "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30 - 50"
#   Option     "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
#   Option     "MetaModes" "800x600, 800x600"
#   Option "HWCursor" "off"
   Identifier  "Card0"
#Option "RenderAccel" "on"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth 16
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     16
      Modes     "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     24
      Modes     "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

# Section "Extensions"
#     Option "XDamage" "Enable"

#     Option "RENDER" "Enable"
# EndSection

#Section "DRI"
#   Mode   0666
#EndSection

As you can see, anything that I thought might be adding some instability, I've commented out.

Here is the list of the current versions of software I'm running if that helps. This is on a p4 with an NVIDIA GeForce4, by the way.

nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r3
gcc-3.4.3.20050110
glibc-2.3.4.20041102
xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4

EDIT:

It seems this was due to a bug in glibc. After upgrading to sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, the problem went away. The changelog refers to the bugfix.

Last edited by stevyn on Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
seidren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... I am not sure if this will help or not. But I couldnt get matlab working properly the first time because of nptl and I had to do call matlab like this.
Code:
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 matlab
stevyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion, but that didn't work. Do you have an NVIDIA graphics card?
seidren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I dont have an Nvidia card. I have an Intel.
I googled around and found that this is because of the nvidia kernel module.... Apparently this occurs only in kernel 2.6. If you can give kernel 2.4 a shot.. it might work.
Also check if glibc is compiled with +nptl and -nptlonly. The -nptlonly option is important because then, gentoo installs botht the nptl enabled and disabled versions of glibc. Then you will be able to use 'LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 matlab' and make the program use the nptl disabled libraries. Its the 'tls' bit that makes me believe this is an nptl problem, but it may be not.
stevyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the "-nptlonly" use flag and I'm recompiling glibc now. Is this the sort of thing that requires me to rebuild other packages, like the kernel? As for kernel 2.4, I'd rather temporarily jump back to the nv driver than switch kernels. I'll update after glibc is finished compiling.
caslca
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here.... I get the splash screen, but desktop crashes (also matlab -nojvm won't run in cmd mode alone either)

I compiled glibc without nptlonly (as i had it before), but the LD_ASSUME.... thing still doesn't help - matlab crashes again.

My system is ~x86, with nptl glibc-2.3.4.20041102, gcc 3.4.3-20050110, and kernel 2.6.10-r6 gentoo-dev-sources.

I can confirm that matlab starts and some protions work if I use "nv" instead of "nvidia", but some portions still won't function (symbolic math for example throws errors related to glibc).

I can confirm that matlab works fine on a x86 system.

I can confirm that symbolic math(and seems everything else) works if i use "nv" and the LD_ASSUME thing.

my matlab build is 7.0.0.19901 (R14) May 06 2004

any help would be greatly appreciated!
stevyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm able to run Matlab now if I run "opengl-update xorg-x11", but then I can't run anything with opengl. Opengl in matlab still doesn't work and X crashed if I run glxgears or opengl screensavers. It's barely a work around, but It's better than using the nv driver because I have a setting in my xorg.conf file that enlarges the fonts to make them readable on my display. So as long as I'm taking classes that require matlab, I'll have to deal with this I guess. I'd prefer just to remove matlab's dependency on opengl since I don't think I'll be needing it anyway.
CarloJekko
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run symbolic?
It doesn't work to me...
I think is a problem with glibc-2.3.5 and kernel 2.6...
johntramp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am having the exact same problem with nvidia and the same build of matlab.

When I ran opengl-update xorg-x11 it starts, as stevyn said and then the first thing I am greeted with is this.
Quote:
Warning: Could not access OpenGL library

< M A T L A B >
Copyright 1984-2004 The MathWorks, Inc.
Version 7.0.0.19901 (R14)
May 06, 2004
So obviously it wants to use opengl for some parts of the programme.

Has anyone else found a better solution to this?

Thanks
raf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The tls error you are getting is actually due to the fact that one of the patches from glibc-2.3.4 has not been applied to glibc-2.3.5 and in fact there is also a glic-2.0 compatibility issue with glibc-2.3.5. I have submitted bug reports on these and the nice people from gentoo have fixed both of these issues in the latest (still masked) version of glibc called glibc-2.3.5-r1.

So here is what you do:
1) add "glibc-compat20 nptl -nptlonly" to your use flags
2) Emerge glibc-2.3.5-r1 (might have to unmask it)
3) Before running these non nptl binaries such as matlab or Cadence run export "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19"

Now I'm able to run matlab just fine without having to change to xorg-x11 driver. I still get an error in matlab complaining about opengl libraries but matlab runs fine. As far as I can tell all figures appear, all functions work, so even though I'd rather not see the error at all things seem to run ok.

Let us know if this works for you.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I found this post, since Cadence stopped working for me, right after upgrading to glibc-2.3.5. Moving to glibc-2.3.5-r1 has indeed fixed my problems.

Now for the question about LD_ASSUME_KERNEL...

I've used this in the past, but at the moment am not. Cadence appears to start and run just fine on kernel 2.6, for me. I have had one snag in the past, however. When trying to edit a "config" view, *sometimes* after electing to either read or edit the hierarchy view, X would die. (especially after electing to edit both schematic and hierarchy views) I never had this happen under kernel 2.4, and it didn't always happen under kernel 2.6. But using the new glibc, I haven't had it happen yet today. I never tried using LD_ASSUME_KERNEL, since I didn't have a good guess about which kernel to assume.

Do you find LD_ASSUME_KERNEL necessary for Cadence? Why? How/where did you come up with 2.4.19?

By the way, today I found it necessary to install elf-utils, in order to get /usr/lib/libelf.so.1 available. That wasn't necessary prior to the glibc upgrade.
raf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Quote:
Do you find LD_ASSUME_KERNEL necessary for Cadence? Why? How/where did you come up with 2.4.19?

I believe the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL kernel was to ensure a non nptl library is used when Cadence starts. When I was using glibc-2.3.4.XXX I always had to use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL no matter what otherwise Cadence would not start (since I had both the nptl and non nptl libraries installed). I haven't tried it with the new glibc, but I would expect that if you have nptl enabled you should NOT be able to start Cadence. Did you build your glibc with nptl support? If not, then cadence should work without the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL as you would be using the old threading anyways!

Quote:
When trying to edit a "config" view, *sometimes* after electing to either read or edit the hierarchy view, X would die. (especially after electing to edit both schematic and hierarchy views)

I do not have the mixed signal simulator package which contains the verilog.vmx executable so I cannot test this out on my linux box. I run it at work on sparc without any problems. I haven't been able to find a hacked version of verilog.vmx for linux anywhere on the web but if you can provide me with one I will test this out for you :)

Quote:
By the way, today I found it necessary to install elf-utils, in order to get /usr/lib/libelf.so.1 available. That wasn't necessary prior to the glibc upgrade.

Again I do not seem to have this problem, but I will keep this in mind if I do, thanks.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nptl in my USE flags, and Cadence has always run for me, without LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

I would expect it to, since Cadence is "certified" on RHEL Workstation 3.0. That is a 2.4 kernel, but RedHat kernels have traditionally been heavily patched, and in particular have included nptl since RH9, IIRC. I used the hierarchy editor a fair amount today, with no X crashes. If/when I do get an X crash, I'll switch to LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and see if that helps.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and Cadence Reply with quote

Shortly after my last post, I got another first crash of the Cadence hierarchy editor. So I added LD_ASSUME_KERNEL, and still get the crashes. If there's any sort of remoteness to X, it hasn't crashed, yet. So it appears I've got 4 more experiments to do. I need to export the display through at tcp socket instead of a Unix socket. So I need to try the box address and loopback, with and without LD_ASSUME_KERNEL. I still believe this is a timing issue, and I'm guessing the different path of a tcp socket will change things significantly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: