Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HELP! Laptop always freezing up! I don't know why!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyICON
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: HELP! Laptop always freezing up! I don't know why! Reply with quote

Hi, this is a problem that I have had since I installed Gentoo onto my notebook. I don't know why my laptop freezes up, so this is why I am here. Maybe you guys can tell me some common things that might cause my system freeze.

I have already eliminated the possibility of bad RAM, I did a memcheck as someone suggested in the IRC channel, but he didn't have any other solutions or possible reasons.

I have just re-installed Gentoo to use NPTL, and the freezing is still taking place. So maybe it's a possible configuration problem? I don't know?

Currently, I am using gentoo 2.6.10-r6 I think it is. The specs on my notebook are provided by the link in my signature.

Any other information you need to know to help assess and possibley correct this problem just ask.

Hopefully we can get this fixed because honestly this is why I hardly use Gentoo on my notebook anymore. :cry: And we don't want me using Windows now do we? :D
psychomunky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything your are doing when it freezes?? Or is it a seemingly random occurance?? Also, are you running X when things freeze up?? If so, what video drivers are you using for your Radeon card??
johnnyICON
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm running X, I have a Radeon 9100 IGP, which works on shared memory which was an isusue that iwas going to bring up.

I am able to set how much ram the video card is able to use, I currently have it set to 128MB, and that's what I have it set as in xorg.conf as well. Will this work fine?

As for drivers, I haven't installed anything special, just used the stuff provided in the kernel.

On some occassions when it freezes it happens right when I connect to the internet, but on other instances its when I click on a button, or just doing something simple. So this makes it really hard to pin point the exact cause.
psychomunky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm...you aparently have a card that can use either the xorg provided drivers or the ATI ones. I am just wondering if this is a display driver issue...

Perhaps using the ATI provided drivers will fix your problems. They are not that hard to install and don't give too many problems unless you start trying to do things with X that are closer than a decent step back from the bleeding edge.

Try the instructions here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: