emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emer Reply with quote

i just read about the whole
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
emerge -e world

thing here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=248245&start=53
and here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=282474

after using gentoo for quite a while now, this was the first time i heard of doing such a thing, yet people are talking about it like it's the only way to have a stable system.

i've never done this before and i have what i think are a very stable systems. what are your thoughts on it? what kind of changes will i see to my system?
oberyno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your system is stable now, don't do it. Your system will either stay the same, or become unstable.

I think it's important to remember that robmoss likes to live on the edge with gcc-4.0. As such, compiler bugs and the like are more common for him. If you're using a stable gcc, i.e, 3.3 or 3.4, I don't really see the benefit of recompiling everything a bunch of times.

If your toolchain is actually messed up, it might be a good idea to actually run those 4 commands.

Just my 2 cents.
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my 2 cents:
That procedure should be indeed beneficial. It ensures that everything is consisntent, compiled with the same compiler, linked to correct versions of libraries and takes advantage of all new features. So, it should lead to some improvements in performance, although I do not think that those improvements should be noticable.

So, I do not think it is worth doing if your system works fine and you upgrade regularly. The thing about regular upgrades is that everything on your system was compiled recently with recent version of toolchain, in other words it is unlikely to have package compiled with really old version of gcc. since there should not be whole lot of incompatibilities between recent versions of gcc or glibc (unless there is a major upgrade), the regularly upgraded system should work reasonable well without the need to recompile everything 4 time.

The situation is of course different if a major part of toolkit breaks backwords compatibilty. Then one has to use measures like that, but normally, there it should not be necessary. That said, doing occasional "emerge -e system" may still be a good idea.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not because Rob is living on the edge its because he's a gcc dev: he writes the compiler so he knows what can go wrong, why it goes wrong, and the extremely long route required to straighten things out.

Your basic advice , if it aint broke dont fix it , is of course 100% right.

The trouble is portage offers upgrades to majorly inportant stuff like gcc glibc and linux26-headers like, "would you like an After-Eight mint , sir". Oh why not, sounds like a nice idea. WRONG.

This is where your toolchain gets out of sync with your libs all the software on your system gets shakey.

That is why radical , very time consuming steps are needed to straighten out the mess. Maybe.

Having straighten out the toolchain , you'll have to deal with all the new version bugs and mis-matches brought about by emerge -e world.

HTH
8)
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.

i decided i would give it a try, so i did an "emerge -e system". the results were strange. i ended up recompiling gcc 3 times before i finally stopped it. i'll let you see for yourself:

http://68.90.236.193/emerge.log
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see one gcc - #55.
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all the same "emerge -e system", but the counting started over twice (i stopped it on the third round). gcc is #56, #56, and #55.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: