'Request ebuild' forum?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: 'Request ebuild' forum? Reply with quote

A recurring topic, and one that people are reluctant to use bugs.gentoo.org to do (as they should do).

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Request ebuild' forum? Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
A recurring topic, and one that people are reluctant to use bugs.gentoo.org to do (as they should do).

The developers do not necessarily frequent these forums. They do frequent bugs.gentoo.org. If we created a "request ebuild" forum, it would give people the false impression that someone in the Gentoo Linux project was actually reading their requests.

--kurt
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a "user ebuilds" forum would be a more appropriate name. I know some ebuilds won't make it into the official portage tree, for random reasons, but I know many intermediate users would like to make an ebuild of a new version of software, especially if its a small update, that would otherwise be sluggish in getting into the portage tree. Some things users would probably like to work together on outside of the portage tree, like those alternate gnome 2.1.5 ebuilds that have been circulating, etc.

If the focus was more user oriented, then the developer-non-frequentation issue wouldn't have much bearing on this forum in particular.

I think it's a good idea.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reformist wrote:
Maybe a "user ebuilds" forum would be a more appropriate name.

That's one of the purposes of Portage & Programming. Right now, I don't see the need for a dedicated ebuilds forum. Ebuild requests do not belong here, as we've already discussed and while I do see some unofficial ebuilds floating around, they don't appear to me to comprise enough traffic to warrant their own forum.

I'm not saying an ebuilds-only forum isn't a good idea. I'm simply saying that there isn't enough traffic to justify it at this point and time.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: