View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fdamstra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: My Boss Wants to Standardize... Reply with quote

My boss would like to get standardized on nix-like OS. Seeing as I'm the local Linux guy, and responsible for maintenance, new projects, and most anything that happens on our *nix servers, I'm strongly pushing for Gentoo.

My boss, however, knows FreeBSD. And the other person who has good 'nix skills is an OpenBSD fan.

So, since clearly this is a biased forums, I'm looking for help in the impending argument: Why should we choose Gentoo over the BSD's?

The servers are production quality, and uptime is very important. They run things like DNS, web hosting, and network monitoring. And there are many more projects coming down the pipeline that will have high availability concerns.

Further, we deal with financial data, so security is important. Obviously, this is one of the selling points of the BSD's, but I also think it's one of the selling points of Gentoo.

Can anybody with experience on both give me some good reasons why we should standardize on Gentoo? His concerns include the length of time and difficulty with installing Gentoo (important in a DR situation), and ... well, I'm not sure what else. Help me win this decision.
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like Gentoo I don't think it is for a production environment. Updates and installs from source take too long. Unless you are prepared to create your own Gentoo mirror, with binaries, I would try something else. Personally, I still like Debian for production. Debian, is easy and fast to update, has good security updates and still allows you to build from source, if you choose.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neilhwatson wrote:
As much as I like Gentoo I don't think it is for a production environment. Updates and installs from source take too long. Unless you are prepared to create your own Gentoo mirror, with binaries, I would try something else. Personally, I still like Debian for production. Debian, is easy and fast to update, has good security updates and still allows you to build from source, if you choose.

I totally agree with you.
I've said it over and over, imho gentoo is the ultimate desktop distro, for something more serious i would totally recomend Debian as a linux distro or FreeBSD. Both are great server OS's and easily upgradeable.
--> Linux ### 2.6.11-ck2 #1 Sat Mar 12 20:21:30 WET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux <--
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is great for servers, because you can hold it all just as you want.
However, Gentoo is a GNU/Linux, and GNU/Linux has one major problem : too many processes running.

We have here a NetBSD machine that runs with seven processes. Yes - SEVEN.
BSD is just.. better for servers :)
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevoke wrote:
Yes - SEVEN.
8O
fdamstra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, not the responses I was hoping for. :(

I like Gentoo as a server OS. Rationale:
- It's easy to keep up to date. With Gentoo, I am always running an up to date release. Even using CVSup on FreeBSD, I still have to deal with upgrading to new releases every so often, which requires a longer period of downtime. I have moved servers from 1.4->2004.1->2004.3 without any hardship whatsoever. I inherited a mission-critical FreeBSD box running 4.9 that I've now got to come up with a plan to update to 4.10 or above.
- Great support from the community. The helpfulness of these forums is incredible. I've found the FreeBSD mailing lists to be only slightly more helpful than the Redhat ones, and much more difficult to use.
- Software support. I'm more likely to find that that the obscure open source app or library works on Gentoo. Seeing as I'm often asked to solve problems that our Windows and (ack) iSeries programmers can't handle, I like having the vast open source support that Linux has to offer, and I just don't see that the BSD's have the breadth that Linux does.

I don't find that updating my servers takes that long in Gentoo. I can 'emerge sync', generate the list of packages I want to update, and --fetchonly those packages in advance, so that patch day morning comes I just run a simple command and get everything up to date in our 2-hour monthly maintenance window with near-zero downtime.
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

up to date in a server means what?
The important processes will need to be restarted to be updated. Lose, lose.
If you want Gentoo, go right ahead. It's customizable as all hell, but what are you gonna end up? A glorified BSD! :lol:
No X, probably no regular user, maybe even no monitor, only ssh login, cron, whatever needs to be run (iptables, sendmail, spamassassin, MySQL, ... )
OpenBSD is paranoid about security, so it's good for that.
Now, if you need easy multi-user.. Well... Linux is there for you.
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your favouratism of BSD over Gentoo seems to lack quantitative observations. Less retoric and more substance please.

Last edited by neilhwatson on Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose neither Gentoo nor BSD, but rather Debian. Debian is good for servers because it's paranoid regarding security and stability. Maintenance is easy with apt-get as well.

Reasons for not choosing
1) Gentoo: Too much compiling. Plus, having a development environment installed is considered a security vulnerability by some people (hackers could compile a C program, or assembly, that would compromise security).
2) *BSD: *BSD would be a better choice than Gentoo, but still, more people use the Linux kernel, and as such there is better support and applications have been tested more thoroughly on the Linux platform. Also, Linux is more POSIX-compliant (at least with NPTL). And Linux is more scalable, or rather, tested more on both very small and very large systems.

- Simon
amiatrome
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you would like to base your decision on statistics? Do read the FAQ regarding OS detection limitations.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amiatrome wrote:
Perhaps you would like to base your decision on statistics? Do read the FAQ regarding OS detection limitations.

Well it's not a limitation so much as the fact that 2/3 of those are the same machine.
Admittedly the other 1/3 are also all allegedly running BSD, so that doesn't really invalidate the point...

The "having a development environment is bad" thing is a bit dated; it's a hangover of a time when the server would be running some weird architecture. Now they could just upload something they'd already compiled, since the server is the same arch anyway.
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm absolutely no expert in licenses, but I heard that GNU/GPL has much more potential than a BSD license.

I would choose Debian as a server instead of Gentoo. Gentoo is too much bleeding edge to run in a production environment and compiling stuff increases your load, while Debian Stable is rock-solid for servers.

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amiatrome wrote:

sorry netcraft can be fooled. microsoft does it all the time with hotmail.
amiatrome
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truekaiser wrote:
amiatrome wrote:

sorry netcraft can be fooled. microsoft does it all the time with hotmail.

Yes. But Windows Server 2003 is nowhere on the leaderboard. I think the statistics should be fairly dependable. I do not think there is a whole bunch of *BSD zealots out to pull a fast one on Netcraft.
zeek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Boss Wants to Standardize... Reply with quote

fdamstra wrote:
So, since clearly this is a biased forums, I'm looking for help in the impending argument: Why should we choose Gentoo over the BSD's?

A few reasons:

Gentoo is installed on 20+ servers here, moving millions of emails a day with spam and virus scanning. It is also running 2 100+ GB mysql databases and apache/zope websites that use them.

Compile times have never been an issue.

Removing a dev environment does not make a machine more secure.

The Gentoo community + forums are the best way to get problems solved, and there is no anti-noob attitude here. Try asking some simple questions in a Debian forum and see what kind of response you get. :)

Gentoo is the best server OS by far ... under the control of a competent admin. But you need to be competent to run the other OS too.

And I'll take Larry the Cow over that bea... actually no. That cute lil demon is way cooler.
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time gentoo is ever too bleeding edge is when you add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to your make.conf file
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question on why you should choose Gentoo over BSD really bores down to how much risk you're willing to take. There's really no advantage of using source-based distribution on production servers, especially if downtime or security problems of the servers can make your company lose money.

If BSD is better known among your peers, you'll make them feel safer with the systems if they're familiar with it. Choosing Gentoo will alienate them from the system and faults in it will look much worse than they are, because they may not trust the system.

So my advice is: Choose BSD. If you can't choose Solaris 10, that is :)
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
I'm absolutely no expert in licenses, but I heard that GNU/GPL has much more potential than a BSD license.

I would choose Debian as a server instead of Gentoo. Gentoo is too much bleeding edge to run in a production environment and compiling stuff increases your load, while Debian Stable is rock-solid for servers.

License: I know nothing about.
Gentoo is too bleeding edge: Say *WHAT* ? the stable arch exists for a reason, you know.
compiling increases load: that's why we have distcc!
shash
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a very watered down install on some, at least, of the systems, I say go in for Gentoo. If you set USE flags properly (-kde, -gnome and so on) you can make a very small system, which might be good for a fileserver or something where you don't want to waste space on what amounts to a framework. Like a house with walls 2 metres thick, though metaphors go only so far.

What's the configuration of your servers? Do you have a machine that can be modified to serve as a binary packages repository? Are you willing to take the time to get the entire thing running with gentoo? If you can answer those, you'll see the best of it.

I've got no experience of *BSD and therefore no opinion. But over just about all other distros of Linux, Gentoo wins out in size, speed and configurability.

Of course, it goes without saying, stable only, and be very safe with CFLAGS. :)
Taladar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo without ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is okay for Server use if you are willing to compile and test on another machine. Compile load is too much for a serious production environment and you will find the few problems left before you put the binaries on the production system if you keep your compile-system an exact copy of the server. This has the added advantage that you can use your test-server as drop-in should anything ever happen to your server (hardware).
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevoke wrote:
seppe wrote:

License: I know nothing about.
Gentoo is too bleeding edge: Say *WHAT* ? the stable arch exists for a reason, you know.
compiling increases load: that's why we have distcc!

Gentoo is very bleeding-edge, including the stable arch setting. Distcc can only distribute load, not decrease it.

If one distribution could fit the needs of everyone, why would others exists? Fact is that Gentoo is great if you want source code-level feature control, want experimental packages, and want to play with your system. It's also fine if you want a hardened system that isn't going to be upgraded much anyway. Otherwise the most sensible choice would be Debian (or maybe Slackware, at least a binary distro that lets you retain control). If you have infinite computing power at hand, go on, use Gentoo on your corporate production servers, the rest of us will use what's most practical in each situation.
You have to drop the arrogant Gentoo-pwns-j00-attitude. Out there is a real world.

[/rant]

- Simon
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My Boss Wants to Standardize... Reply with quote

zeek wrote:
Try asking some simple questions in a Debian forum and see what kind of response you get. :)

It doesn't help to say these things over and over again. I always got help from very nice people at #debian or on debian-user (Of course I don't waste my time there screaming how cool this or that distribution is and how much all other distros suck).

Take a look at the "Off the Wall Forum". Saying Gentoo's community has only nice and helpful members and Debian's is full of newbie hating people is just bad propaganda IMO.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo on my server and it runs very smoothly. There is no problem with Gentoo on a server IMO, and you have to remember that just because there are more processes does not mean that they all hog a bunch of RAM or CPU cycles.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
I use Gentoo on my server and it runs very smoothly. There is no problem with Gentoo on a server IMO, and you have to remember that just because there are more processes does not mean that they all hog a bunch of RAM or CPU cycles.

Your last point is valid, however, "works for me" isn't...

Gentoo in general works smoothly (by design), that doesn't change from desktop to server, but it still has the "disadvantage" of needing compiling. This is only a disadvantage in a production environment where processing power is actually being put to use.

- Simon
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossins wrote:
Your last point is valid, however, "works for me" isn't...

Do not take my word for it. Ask other people who do the same thing that I do, but my point is not invalid just because it works for me. Saying that is just arrogant and useless seeing that I never said Gentoo was the best and l33test or something. Look here....

myself wrote:
There is no problem with Gentoo on a server IMO

Have any idea what IMO means?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: