View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Running multiple GNOME installations Reply with quote

Just for reference, I found this trivially easy to do. I emerged gnome (to the standard build in portage) normally during install. I keep that as my reference install.

Then I built gnome-2.1.5 using Garnome with an install dir of /usr/local/gnome-2.1.5.

After that just added a session to gdm that set my PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_INCLUDE_PATH, INFODIR, MANPATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH so I was pathing the new install before the "stable" reference build. For example:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/gnome-2.1.5/libL/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

Of course the directories would be different depending on your preference.

Also remember to set GDK_USE_XFT=1 in your session for AA fonts.

Based on having that later GNOME install, it was really afterwards to build Ximian Evolution 1.2.1 from source (just had to get a later version of curl I think it was, and Evolution has this brain-dead absolute dependacy on sleepycat db-3.1.17 instead of the latest; you only need it at compile). Oh, and if you happen to install Ximian you should set your OAF_INFO_PATH so the gnome-2.1.5/share/oaf takes precedence.

Now I'm rocking, I find gnome-2.1.5 no more or less stable than 2.0.3 - I'm not a huge fan of the gnome desktop, just use it to build dependent apps and get various lib features.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: