Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
WinXP, Gentoo & 2 hard drives, suggestions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: WinXP, Gentoo & 2 hard drives, suggestions? Reply with quote

I have just finished building a new PC. specs: Asus A7N8X deluxe, NVIDIA GeForce4 TI4200, DVD and CD-R/RW drive. 20GB harddrive and 80GB hard drive(which is the master). I have been thinking about how I want to do this for a while. I want to have one OS on one hard drive and One OS on the other. I want a FAT32 partition on one hard drive so that I can share data between the OS's. I have System Commander 2000, which will allow me to make a FAT32 partition. I think I want to put gentoo on the 80GB drive and have a 20GB FAT32 partition on the 80GB hard drive. I would like Windows XP Pro on the 20GB hard drive. So how should I go about doing this? I've done a dual boot system before, but I've never installed gentoo. Should I install WinXP on the 20GB HDD first?, then make a FAT32 partition on the 80GB HDD? Does it matter which HDD I install the bootloader on(Usually master, right?)
Mirage Indigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Just like mine! Reply with quote

I'm still in the middle of installing on a brand new A7n8x deluxe with a 2600+, and a seagate 80G. Also with a XP dual boot.

So far I've discovered the gentoo cd auto network card detect doesNOT like the 3COM chip, only the Nvidia onboard seems to work.

I had a reasoable install (I did a stage 1, so it tooka LONG time). Now I'm ironing the kinks out. Be sure you FDISK your disk BEFORE installing XP. And also, you may wish to use soemthing other than NTFS for the XP partition as Linux only does Read Only for NTFS.

Let me know how it goes.
-Matthew
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're going to install gentoo first? then put XP on? I had planned on installing XP using NTFS so it would perform well and having a FAT32 partition to share between gentoo and XP. I'm sure all of this can be done, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing, are you SURE linux can only read NTFS? I sure hope there's a hack/patch/workaround :(

I had WinXP installed on a 10 Gig then I imaged drive-to-drive with Norton Ghost and did a part. resize with Partition Magic. So on the new 60 gig I have 2 NTFS partitions both 30 gig big.....

The Linux 10 gig has 100MB boot part (ext3) then 500 MB swap partition (swap) and the balance is for Linux (RieserFS)

Here's the twist tho hehe listen carefully it's pretty cool :D

Okay, I have a T-Bird 1.2 with 256MB RAM.
At the ends of the 60 gig and the 10 gig there is 200MB of free space, when everything is up and running (right now the linux side is in shambles, read my post below and offer any kernel tips if you have them pls.) I'm going to format those two partitions as striped dynamic partitions....

:) WinXP can software stripe drives just like Linux so my swap file will be uber fast in XP... Maybe when I'm a full-fledged penguin head I'll bomb XP toss Gentoo on the 60 gig and look into stiping the swap on the 60 the 10 and another 60, then Stripe the two 60's (I'm into audio creation so my HD's are never fast enough :))
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Gentoo didn't detect my Realtek 10/100 card either... They need to take a look @ how RH does some of it's install stuff, I found RH to install smoother than Windows. :)
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always done my dual boots as XP first then linux, since installing grub (or lilo if you really want to) is part of the linux install process it makes it easier to have everything ready when you get to that step.

There is an experimental NTFS write option in the kernel config but it does very strange (read bad and unpredictable) things the last time I checked.
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Valen. Make the 20 Gig drive your master and install XP first on the master.

When you boot from CD to install Gentoo, the fdisk utility will let you partition the 80 GIg drive anyway you want to. Creating a FAT32 partition for passing files between OSes is a good idea. I would not trust writing to the NTFS partition from any Linux installation.

The dual boot utility GRUB will let you default to whichever OS you want. Having Gentoo on the slave drive is not a problem. You'll never know the difference. You'll never see the Linux partitions in XP. (I don't think Bill likes them. :D )

Make sure you can configure your network connection. I have a Asus P4PE motherboard with a Broadcom network chipset. The kernel does not support this, but fortunately Broadcom does. I had to use the alternate installation procedure. I installed Red Hat into a small partition, compiled and installed the network driver from the P4PE CD-ROM, and then used Red Hat to install Gentoo. I was then able to compile and install the network driver in Gentoo. You could install Red Hat in the future FAT32 20 Gig partition, use it to install Gentoo, and then blow Red Hat away.

If your motherboard is new hardware the Linux kernel may not support it. I was able to get my network connection working only because the manufacturer provided a Linux driver. I still haven't found a driver for the on-board SoundMAX audio chipset the P4PE has on it.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP, Gentoo & 2 hard drives, suggestions? Reply with quote

John2583 wrote:
Should I install WinXP on the 20GB HDD first?, then make a FAT32 partition on the 80GB HDD? Does it matter which HDD I install the bootloader on(Usually master, right?)

Windows need a primary partition on the master disk to write the boot sector. So if you want win on slave disk & boot them both w/ grub or lilo I suggest to disconnect the 80gb master temporarily, connect the 20 as master and install win normally. Then connect back the 80 as master and 20 as slave and config grub/lilo to switch (re-map) the drives so that windoze boot. If you man lilo there is the exact command to use (I'm not home currently to check it, but it works - triple boot w/2 disks on my brother's box) or search google for "map=0x80 lilo/grub". I can send u the exact configuration for lilo later if u want.

.:: zen ::.
Darth_Daver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Check out this howto Reply with quote

I hope this helps.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=18319&highlight=

I recommend FAT32 for WinXP, depending upon your requirements and whether you are more a Windows person or a Linux person. FAT32 lets you write to the partiton from Linux. Last I heard, NTFS support was still read only, although I have heard unconfirmed rumblings that write support exists.
John2583
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This is the info I needed. Now I'm going to download Red Hat 8.0 incase I need it, but there are 5 CDs!!!! I don't need them all right? And I looked on the NVIDIA CD that came with my motherboard(for the nForce2 chipset) and It has a linux driver for the 3com network.
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, NTFS support was still read only
no kidding?
I have a post where I was getting a zero table message and only given read priv when trying to run cfdisk on a ntfs partition......no one mentioned that gentoo didn't support ntfs.
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost_packet wrote:
Last I heard, NTFS support was still read only
no kidding?
I have a post where I was getting a zero table message and only given read priv when trying to run cfdisk on a ntfs partition......no one mentioned that gentoo didn't support ntfs.

I'm n00ber than u, but I thought everyone knew NTFS isn't supported!
Read from NTFS with Linux: safe.
Write to NTFS with Linux: NSA's method of choice for deleting data. 8)
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big deal with NTFS? I was under the impression that Linux supported all the FS' under the sun... everyone is putting Win2k and XP on NTFS it's not like NTFS is obscure or anything, FAT32's dead.
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to install them is with their own respective boot loaders on their own physical drives, then select your boot drive with <esc> or whatever at POST. This is for your two physical drives situation, I'd do something different otherwise... If you do it this way it doesn't matter if they like one another's boot loaders, they'll stay away from each other. Obviously I'd put a vfat(fat32) partition on my big drive, who cares what OS it's under...
BTW - Gentoo DOES support NTFS and any other filesystem the Linux kernel supports, but you have to include support when you build your kernel.
BTW2 - If file system performance is a concern (ie fat32 is obselete) why would you mention NTFS??? It sucks IMO, try xfs if you want something high performance... Windows is obsolete...
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: swap space on alt drive Reply with quote

the only suggestion I'd add to the previous posts is to set up the respective swap space for both os's on the alternate drive, i.e. have a small reiser/ext<whatever> partition on the 20G for gentoo's swap, and configure XP to put its swap file on the 80G, either on a data partition that you put there, or a small FAT32/NTFS partition just big enough for the swap. This allows faster synchronous r/w from swap while using the os, and will generally speed things up a bit. I've done this on every install of whichever os I was running at the time for the past 5 years or so.

gl, and happy gentooing ;)
Linux User #223670
Darth_Daver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I'm going to download Red Hat 8.0 incase I need it, but there are 5 CDs!!!! I don't need them all right?

Only the first three CDs contain the binaries for the installation. The last two CDs contain source code so you only need them if you intend to compile the applications from source after the installation. Of course, you can get more up-to-date source from the project web sites.
Darth_Daver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the big deal with NTFS?

The big deal with NTFS is that Microsoft will not release the source code or adequate documentation on NTFS for anyone to easily create support for NTFS under Linux. Microsoft uses this as a weapon to limit your choice. Clever people have still been able to engineer read support, but write support is currently unreliable.

Quote:
I was under the impression that Linux supported all the FS' under the sun...

Linux supports many, many filesystems. Certainly it supports many more than Microsoft does. How many does Microsoft currently support? Two? Why doesn't Microsoft support ext2, ext3, reiser, jfs, or xfs?

Quote:
everyone is putting Win2k and XP on NTFS

Well, not everyone. Dell was shipping notebooks with XP Home Edition on FAT32. I use FAT32 so I can copy files back and forth. I used to use NTFS because I thought it was "better", but before you decide you have to have it, ask yourself why? NTFS has ACLs that provide more security than FAT32, but are you really using XP as a mutli-user OS (which it actually is not)? Anyone can still boot from a floppy to read the data, and I wouldn't use Windows if I wanted to keep data secure and private anyway. Performance? I haven't seen any information that NTFS truly performs better than FAT32. I would expect the opposite since NTFS has additional overhead.

The one thing I do miss is that NTFS is a journaling filesystem (or close to it) while FAT32 is not. When Windows inevitably crashes, FAT32 has to go through that filesystem check when it reboots while NTFS does not. The fact that Windows XP still blue screens on me is one of the reasons why I mostly use Linux and rarely use Windows, though.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTFS. Defragments faster, does not fragment as fast. HPFS based... HP being High Performance. Too bad OS/2 died with it.

FAT32 is for hard disks less than 2TB, but it is overhead for hard disks less than 1.5GB and was not designed with partitioning in mind.

By the way, MSDOS does not know how to read NTFS. So the only OS capable of reading NTFS is NT.

Last I checked, Linux supported NTFS 4 as readonly, no news about NTFS 5. XP uses NTFS 5.

I wonder when I'll get around to dumping Windows... I hope that my Computer Studies teachers don't try to teach me VB and MFC, that's going to severely limit my ability to work on homework.
rajendra82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dual booting XP/Gentoo setup with NTFS 5 on the first primary partition. When compiling the Gentoo kernel, you can enable NTFS read support and NTFS write support. NTFS read support is described as follows:

Quote:

CONFIG_NTFS_FS:

NTFS is the file system of Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP. For more information see Documentation/filesystems/ntfs.txt. Saying Y here would allow you to read from NTFS partitions.

This file system is also available as a module ( = code which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).

The module will be called ntfs.o. If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.

If you are not using Windows NT/2000/XP in addition to Linux on your computer it is safe to say N.

NTFS write support is maked as dangerous with the following additional information:
Quote:

CONFIG_NTFS_RW:

This enables the experimental write support in the NTFS driver.

WARNING: Do not use this option unless you are actively developing NTFS as it is currently guaranteed to be broken and you may lose all your data!

It is strongly recommended and perfectly safe to say N here.

I have enabled NTFS read support, and Gentoo reads the files on the NTFS 5 partiion just fine. I am not crazy enough to try writing to that NTFS partition.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: