Can't get network card to work!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zulithe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Can't get network card to work! Reply with quote

Hi all. I saw Gentoo 1.4_rc2 released and wanted to give it a go! I have very little experience with Linux, i've tried installing Gentoo before but I could never get it to work (kept having problems with GRUB). However, I could ALWAYS get past this part of the install guide, but for some reason I can't in 1.4_rc2... please help.

Firstly I'm using the gentoo-basic-x86-1.4_rc2.iso LiveCD (My PC is running an AMD Athlon, but I opted to do a netinstall instead of download and burn a larger ISO, and so that I could possibly do the same on other PCs around the house that don't use an Athlon).

I boot the CD and see the pretty new blue Gentoo screen (nice, btw!). I get to the root prompt and change the password using passwd first.

Now I try to setup my network card. The ethernet card my PC is using is (according to Windows XP device manager, as the card has no distinguishing information on it) a SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series). I use this card in Windows XP every single day and it works perfectly, so I know it is not a direct problem coming from the card itself.

I know that it previously used the Tulip driver in Gentoo 1.4_rc1 but when I type:

modprobe tulip

it outputs an error saying:

init_module: No such device

I ran out of ideas, came back to the forum and did a serach on my card, some suggestions said to do:

modprobe pcnet32

or

modprobe ne2k-pci

I tried both and I get the same error.

When I type /sbin/ifconfig -a I see three listings. Here are those three listings and the first line of each

dummy0 Link encap: Ethernet
lo
sit0 Link-encap: IPv6-in-Ipv4

Is dummy0 my ethernet card? I think sit0 might be my 56k modem (but not sure, not that i would use it though) And lo...? It says it's Local Loopback. If I type ifconfig then lo is the only one listed (it says UP and RUNNING in the output under lo, could THAT be my ethernet card???) I am completely stumped here.

I try dhcpcd dummy0 and Gentoo freezes for about 2 mins, then goes back to the root prompt. I try this with lo also, I've tried many combinations of commands but anytime I try to ping a site, or launch lynx it always says it can't connect to anything (or in the case of ping, can't find host or something)

I am running behind a D-Link router DI-604, but if I use DHCP this shouldn't be a problem, right? It was not a problem in 1.4_rc1 I know that for a fact.

Sorry for the long post... but I do need help! Please respond. I will provide more information if needed.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the result of this command?

Code:
cat /proc/pci

This should tell us two things. First it should tell us whether the card is being "seen" at all. Second it should tell us what the card is identifying itself as. Once we have those a little more concrete then we should be able to determine for sure what module you need to be using. As for lo you are right it is local loopback. Niether dummy0 or lo are your network card. I didn't know what sit0 was so I googled for "linux sit0 network" and first result listed took me here. Just to quote (in case the link ever dies)

Linux Online: Linux IPv6 HOWTO wrote:
5.1.2.1. IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel interfaces
This interfaces are normally named sitx. The name sit is a shortcut for Simple Internet Transition. This device has the capability to encapsulate IPv6 packets into IPv4 ones and tunnel them to a foreign endpoint.

sit0 has a special meaning and cannot be used for dedicated tunnels.

So this also is not your network card.

Another idea is to use the older Gentoo CD which you didn't have trouble using to boot the machine and then lsmod to find out what module is being used.

Keep us posted!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tulip modules usually have to be forced. But I think that the newer 1.4 CDs have networking built into the kernel without modules. I can never successfully load tulip through modprobe tulip... I always have to do insmod tulip.o
Zulithe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!

The results of that command are rather lengthly, but I'm sure this is the bit you wanted me to see:

Code:
Bus 0, device 6, function 0
Ethernet Controller: Accton Technology Corporation SMC-1211TX (rev 16).
IRQ3
Master Cable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=32. Max Lat=64.
IO at 0x1000 [0x10ff]
Non-prefechable 32 bit memory at 0xe8004800 [0xe80048ff]

I hope this can help you (or someone) come to a solution for me, I'm still researching the forums and google to find a possible solution. Thanks!
Zulithe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another idea is to use the older Gentoo CD which you didn't have trouble using to boot the machine and then lsmod to find out what module is being used.

Okay. just now tried it.

booted Gentoo 1.4_rc1 cd, used command pci-setup and then lsmod

two modules are loaded:

osst
cpqarray

then used net-setup eth0 and dhcpcd eth0
Network was a go! Could ping sites and launch sites in lynx. Can not do this on 1.4_rc2. Hmmm. reran lsmod after network setup was complete, the same two modules were there, no more no less.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your card uses the Realtek 8139 driver, which I thought was included directly in the kernel in all 1.4 livecds, so no modules should be listed. What is the output of:
Code:
$ dmesg | grep eth0

Zulithe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the output of dmesg | grep eth0 (from gentoo 1.4_rc1 livecd)

Code:

eth0: incorrect signature 0xfff
eth0: D-Link DE-600 pocket adaptor: not at I/O 0x378.
eth0: SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (RealTek RTL8139) at 0x98811800, 00:10:b5:5b:10:19, IRC3
eth0: Identified 8139 chiptype 'RTL-8139B'
eth0: settting 100mbps full duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1

Not sure why it gave so many incorrect signature 'errors' but at least you were right, it does indeed seem to use the driver you mentioned!

How do I load this driver/module on 1.4_rc2? If it should auto load on it, why does it not...?
Zulithe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booted from gentoo 1.4_rc2 livecd again, used modprobe 8139too

it works! Thanks so much everyone :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: