The (un)official what games dont work with winex-cvs thread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: The (un)official what games dont work with winex-cvs thread Reply with quote

Hola

I'm very curious about this. I have subscribed to transgaming before (although my subscription ran out and I have to resubscribe when I can gather the $$), but I'm curious about the gentoo ebuild(s) for winex. Is there a list of games anywhere that will/won't/will partially work with the free version of winex? If anyone knows of a game that works the same with both versions, or only works with the the commercial version, post it here?
On another thought, a list like this might clear up the issue of whether its worth a subscription, or to entice people to sign up (not that I have anything against paying for quality software).
Thanks!

Last edited by Elsipkitch9809 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used the paid version just the cvs....

Here is a list of games that I have battled with WineX over ;D

Could not install at all:
Arcanum of Stemaworks and Magicka Obscura

Games that I cheated to get going (copied them over from a windows install)
Baldurs Gate 2 TOB
Dungeon Siege (games have a funny bluish hue to it, in gmae menu font goes screwy, crashes out for no reason sometimes)
Planescape Torment
Diablo 2

Games that WORKED with no issues:
Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast
GTA 3
Aliens vs Predator
Half-Life (and all it's mods CS, DOD etc)
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! The games you listed as working without issues are some of the games I'm really looking forward to purchasing, so I'm glad to hear for those at least that the free winex works.

I should add that I know that Nocturne and its derivatives(Blair witch games) work too. They aren't the newest games around, but they are certainly among my favs.

I'm going to be installing the newer gentoo release tonight, so I'm going to test out winex-cvs with the rest of my games and if I get any encouraging results, I will post them here.

Thanks!
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megatron2121 wrote:

HOW how how how howhow how!??! I haven't been able to get anything to run through wine(x) before, but I've been trying the last two/three days to get this one working, with no success. I've read the page on Frank's corner, but that was no help. The last two commands:
Code:
$ cd jk/resource
$ cp -r /mnt/cdrom/gamedata/resource/video

were of no use, becuase I had no "jk/resource" directory, and no "resource" directory anywhere on my disc.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff wrote:
Megatron2121 wrote:

HOW how how how howhow how!??! I haven't been able to get anything to run through wine(x) before, but I've been trying the last two/three days to get this one working, with no success. I've read the page on Frank's corner, but that was no help. The last two commands:
Code:
$ cd jk/resource
$ cp -r /mnt/cdrom/gamedata/resource/video

were of no use, becuase I had no "jk/resource" directory, and no "resource" directory anywhere on my disc.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Check your PM ;)
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you might want to check out the WINE application database; it's the database for Wine, not WineX, but I imagine the results with many games will probably be comparable; if the people using Wine don't report any problems with copy protection and the people at the TransGaming Forums don't report substantial difficulties, it should work.
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious Sam 2 doesn't work at all, I just get it to install but when I try to run it it gives me a crapload of shit :)
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add Sims to the list...
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to poop the party, but how are we to know where some of the games reported not to be working only fail to function under a (potentially small) subset of systems that includes the user who posts the game title?
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Soldier of Fortune 2 Reply with quote

I tried it today and Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix works great after a simple "emerge winex".

Just follow the instructions for this game. I did it this way:

- First, Insert CD1 and mount your cdrom.
- Now, you go to /tmp, copy some files there and start the installation from that same directory. You can choose any directory, of course, but I used /tmp

Like this:
Code:
$ cd /tmp
$ cp /mnt/cdrom/Setup/ossupport* .
$ winex /mnt/cdrom/Setup/Setup.exe

- Installation starts, asks some questions and then you can sit back for a little while.
- When the setup program asks for CD2, kill winex (and wine). Don't manually end setup, just kill it. Then, unmount your cdrom, replace CD1 with CD2 (mount it) and copy the files from CD2's base directory to wherever you're installing.

Like this:
Code:
$ killall winex wine
$ umount /mnt/cdrom; #Insert CD1 now
$ mount /mnt/cdrom
$ cd $HOME/.winex/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Soldier\ of\ Fortune\ II\ -\ Double\ Helix/base/
$ cp /mnt/cdrom/Setup/base/*.pk3 .

These files will take a little while...

Now it's time to make sure you get MultiPlayer going (assuming you want to). Just go to the base/mp directory of your installation and link the pk3 files like this:
Code:
$ cd mp
$ ln -s ../*pk3 .

That's it! Of course, I also installed the Gold Edition pathc (1.03) of SoF2. I did get the game working with patch 1.02 earlier, but it seems there's some problems with that. I suggest you install 1.03. Go get it somewhere (http://www.activision.com/games/soldieroffortune/downloads.asp). Make sure you get the full version if you haven't patched it to 1.02 yet, not the lite Gold patch.

Once you've got it, just use winex to run it. Afterwards, make sure you link the new pk3's again for MP usage. One of them (update101.PK3) had an extension written in caps. Check if you have that and lowercase it. For example:
Code:
$ winex /mnt/install/sof2goldfull.exe

and after that (assuming you're still in the base/mp dir):
Code:
$ mv ../update101.PK3 ../update101.pk3
$ ln -s ../update*pk3 .

Of course, you could just link to the capitalized PK3, but I like my files to look the same.

Now, this should do it. The game works. It includes PunkBuster v0.995 and if you wish to upgrade to v1.016 (latest at time of writing) you can use the pbweb.exe utility (http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbweb.exe to upgrade. Save the file to the ~/path/to/sof2/Pb directory and use winex to start it.

If you did that update to PunkBuster, there's one little bad thingy: linux users get to see a message in their console (when playing on a server). It also shows up at the top of the screen, where all console messages appear. The message is "PunkBuster Client: O/S Exception Notice" and it appears about 10 times/second. Very annoying. Just go to your console and type "\pb_msg" press tab and type "@". The message now only appears if you pull down the console. I hope they fix this soon, though, 'coz all the kills still disappear quite fast.

Oh, one more thing: if performance is no good, pull down the console and type "\pb_system 1" and that should fix it.

There, hope I covered everything and that you may all play this game. I know I'm enjoying it. :)
awm.uk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultima Online (T2A/2D clients only) works. Only game I play with Wine really. And it plays better in Gentoo with WineX cvs than it does in Windows. Patching works too. Only problem is you sometimes get a uo.cfg error on login. But most of the time you just have to restart UO and it goes away.

Now if only there was a way to get UO Assist running too, life would be grand.
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how to speed up framerates in Half Life with WineX? It's kind of ridiculous. 25 fps in heavy combat, 60 with not many people around.

I have a GF3, 1.4ghz and 384 mb of ram. latest nvidia drivers.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuber wrote:
Any idea how to speed up framerates in Half Life with WineX? It's kind of ridiculous. 25 fps in heavy combat, 60 with not many people around.

I have a GF3, 1.4ghz and 384 mb of ram. latest nvidia drivers.

In your video config in the game (Half-Life) make sure you select OpenGL, instead of Direct3D, and make sure your game is updated. Other than that, mine runs better than when I had Windows on the exact same hardware.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
dvNuLL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also start hl with the -gl option

This is what I use

Code:

hl.exe -game cstrike -console -32bpp -gl -noipx -nojoy +connect <ip address>

sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two games that also work with winex-cvs (and wine):
Warcraft 3 and Medal of Honor: AA
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: AVP2 and Undying Reply with quote

I tried installing both "Aliens Vs Predator 2" and "Undying" from CD and it was a no go (didn't even make it to a welcome screen). I also tried running them from a Windows partition and was greeted with the same nothingness :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: