Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Database of user's configs (kernel and /etc..) needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Database of user's configs (kernel and /etc..) needed Reply with quote

I finally have my gentoo linux up and running. I can say that this is a great linux distribution, but also a very frustrating distribution.

I had many many problems getting everything setup and working correctly on my Thinkpad T20 laptop. I have a builtin 10/100 ethernet and it works. I have a linksys PCMCIA wireless card and it works. I have sound. I have XFS filesystem, gnome, evolution, gdm....

But it took 2 weeks and more than 30 kernel configs and compiles.

All of the problems I had were because of various kernel misconfigurations, and config file (/etc.....) misconfigurations.

Why not add a searchable place in the gentoo forums (or general website) for us to upload (share) our kernel configs, and various /etc configs with others?

Then, newcommers to gentoo could search this list for systems that are similarly configured.

It would have helped me a lot to know I needed "alias sndcard-0 snd-cs46xx" in my /etc/modules.d/alsa file. It would have helped me a lot to know that I needed "CONFIG_HERMES=m" "CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y" but "CONFIG_PCMCIA is not set" in my kernel configuration to get my specific wireless PCMCIA device to work with the pcmcia-cs system.

So why not put together a database of config and other informtion (modules.autoload, XF86Config...), on this forum that comes from the gentoo users who have made this system work on their various types of hardware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: