Sampling rate in ALSA rc6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Sampling rate in ALSA rc6 Reply with quote

I just updated to rc6. There is obviously improved support for my Terratec card - ice1712. However, alsa has now decided that 48kHz is best for me, and I can't change it. With alsamixer the value seems static, eventhough there are other options in /etc/asound.state. Changing the default value there doesn't help either, it doesn't even affect alsamixer. So the value must be read from somewhere else - but where?

Also, I often run into this kind of circular annoyance:
Code:

root@Asimov root # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * Shutting down ALSA modules....                                              [ ok ]
 * ALSA driver is already running.
root@Asimov root # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * ERROR:  "alsasound" has not yet been started.
root@Asimov root # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * ALSA driver is already running.
root@Asimov root # /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
 * ERROR:  "alsasound" has not yet been started.

... and so the only thing I can do is to reboot. Why is this? Is it because some modules are loaded? Often I can't unload modules because they are in use - how do I handle that?

How do I stop and restart artsd in kde3.1?
How do I get artsd to run in realtime mode as default?
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I managed to set Arts to use 48000 Hz, so that takes care of all programs sending audio through that. Still, all the other problems remain...
Chris W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the snd-* modules are not unloading cleanly on alsasound stop: possibly the snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss modules. Have a look at the results of:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/alsasound status
# lsmod
# /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
# /etc/init.d/alsasound status
# lsmod
immediately after a clean boot. The ALSA modules all start snd-* and should not be there after the stop is issued. You could try a manual
Code:
# rmmod module
on any that remain and see what complains.

Let us know what you find.
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I have a midiman audiophile card (same driver ice1712) and i had the same problem (i think). It was stuck at 48khz, and everything would speed up if it wasn't at 48khz. after a few days and lots of browsing alsa archives, i think that it is alsa .9.0rc6 (the one in portage). one of the alsa developers said that there were bugs in the ice driver for that release. he also said that they were fixed in rc7. I am trying to get that installed right now, but i'm not all that experienced with this stuff, so it might take a while =) i'll let you know if i get it working. gluck
--Andrew

ps. anyone know if rc7 is cmoing to partage soon?
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Got it working! Reply with quote

Just an update (i know it's kinda late in the thread, but it might help someone =). It is alsa rc6 (the one in portage as of now, feb. 5). You need to uninstall that version and get rc7 from the alsa web site (or wait for it in portage). After installing rc7, my card works and sounds great! best of luck!
--Andrew
Canuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: rc7 availability date? Reply with quote

As asked above, does anyone know when rc7 will be available in portage? I guess it would require an update of the alsa-driver ebuild and will that happen anytime soon (i.e. before or for the 1.4 release)?

Thanks
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an ebuild for rc8 (just came out) in portage, you just have to go to it manually (i imagine there is a more elegant way, just don't know how).
go to console, su up, then go to the /usr/portage/media-sound/alsa-drivers directory (or alsa-tools, alsa-utils). Then do 'env ALSA_CARDS='ice1712' emerge alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc8.ebuild'. that should take care of it, then go to the tools and utils directory and do the same thing. You need to run the ebuilds manually instead of just emerge alsa-whatever. Best of luck. Msg me if you have questions
--Andrew
Canuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks krinkle, I'm compiling it right now. Hopefully it works...
Canuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinkle wrote:

--snip--
Msg me if you have questions
--Andrew

How do I use the ICQ button? I'm running Mozilla and Licq but when I click on your ICQ button it just wants to download something. I thought it might give me your ICQ number but I guess not.
Canuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: emerge -u alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc8.ebuild Reply with quote

Well, it emerge "emerge -u alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc8.ebuild" worked, but that's as far as it got.
bart alsa-utils # emerge -u alsa-utils-0.9.0_rc8.ebuild
Calculating dependencies |
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=media-libs/alsa-lib-0.9_rc7" have been masked.
!!! (dependency required by "media-sound/alsa-utils-0.9.0_rc8" [ebuild])

!!! Error calculating dependancies. Please correct.

Oh well, I had installed all of the 0.9.0_rc8a packages from source on the ALSA website and I only did a "make uninstall" on the alsa-driver package so hopefully it's alright.
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i never use icq anymore... maybe i'll turn it back on, i just dind't have anyone who used it. Email would probably be best. And i've done a little more looking around. The reason that you are getting the error that portage couldn't satisfy the dependancy is becuase when emerging rc8 manually, you are not using the "stable" version. Portage needs an "unstable" (higher version number) package, so it tells portage to install it. Since you probably have portage set to use only stable, portage looks and sees that there are no stable packages to fulfil the request. So you can either manually emerge they alsa-lib ebuild (it's in /usr/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib), or i *think* you can add the line ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' in your make.conf. The problem with this is that it will want to upgrade all your software to unstable. I installed it just by running the ebuild manually
--Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: