installing gentoo on ssd - partitioning help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
printf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: installing gentoo on ssd - partitioning help Reply with quote

not too long ago i installed an ssd into my comp.
now i would like to install gentoo on it.
i have read tutorials both on this forum and the gentoo wiki about partitioning an ssd-based system, but most of them suggest tmpfs or do not specify the size for /var/tmp, /tmp and such
since i have 2 hdds next to the ssd, i can use have those directories on the hdds, but i cant find any numbers regarding the size of those partitions in general

current setup:
ssd: 128GB, 20gb will be used for / for gentoo
hdd1: 186GB, 156 used as NTFS data, rest 30gb unallocated - can be used for linux (can easily squeeze a few ten gb from the other partition)
hdd2: 150GB, used entirely as NTFS, but has 70gb free space, so if needed i can partition this too

also, i have 4gb ram, and cpu is core2duo e8400
the only resource intensive emerge will be firefox and the mandatory packages, like gcc and such, only planning to use the bin package of libreoffice

i would really appreciate some guidance with the partitioning, namely the size for /tmp, /var/tmp and other /var directories that need to be placed elsewhere, or the size of /var if i can place it altogether on a different disk, as i would like to use only one of the 2 hdds with linux, so it will be easier to replace it and backup data if something goes wrong and it also helps to keep the fstab a bit more organized

also another question is why guides suggest using only some of the /var subdirectories and not the whole directory itself
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used arch linux, I've followed:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#Mount_points
Since I have only an SSD in my laptop I have all partitions on it, but if I where you I'd put the /var on the HDD (although the life time of SSD's aren't as bad as they were
(https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-942742-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html)

You should also consider using LVM, then you can always resize your partitions...
my current partitioning (laptop, 160GB SSD):
10G /var
10G /tmp (which is probably too large)
50G /usr
1G / (usr is on a separate partition, so 1 G is enough)
40G /home
2G swap
5G /opt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: