Repartitioning my drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Repartitioning my drive Reply with quote

Right now i have a 20gb hard drive split up as shown
Code:
hda1 - WinXP
hda2 - /boot
hda3 - swap
hda4 - /

I would like to cut hda4 down by about 5GB and make a new vfat partition to share between linux and XP. Is there a good/right way of doing this?
I was thinking of taking the journaling off of hda4(its ext3), then loading up partition magic to do the dirty work
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Repartitioning my drive Reply with quote

El_Presidente_Pufferfish wrote:
Right now i have a 20gb hard drive split up as shown
Code:
hda1 - WinXP
hda2 - /boot
hda3 - swap
hda4 - /

I would like to cut hda4 down by about 5GB and make a new vfat partition to share between linux and XP. Is there a good/right way of doing this?
I was thinking of taking the journaling off of hda4(its ext3), then loading up partition magic to do the dirty work
resize hda4 and then make a new ptable with cfdisk.
i dont know if its possible, you need to make hda4 first a logical then make the vfat part...
that can cause data coruption, i whould suggest taking a backup.

Get lost before you get shot.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoe is almost there...can I just add a bit to his msg:

BACKUP FILES IN /dev/hda4 (/)

then...

1) Resize /dev/hda4 using something like the 'parted' utility. If you dont have it, use 'emerge parted'.

2) You have already reached the max partitions (max=4) so create and EXTENDED partition using cfdisk, then inside this create a new LOGICAL drive. Save and exit.

3) Reboot. /dev/hda5 should now be present.

4) Use 'mkfs.vfat /dev/hda5 ' to create (format) the drive. If you dont have mkfs.vfat, then 'emerge dosfstools'.

Done.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ... and ...

5) Create a mount point for your new drive, say "windows" using "mkdir /mnt/windows".

6) Issue the command 'id' and note down your user and group id numbers.

7) To mount at boot, add the following to your /etc/fstab

Code:

/dev/hda5   /mnt/windows   vfat   uid=<<your user id>>,gid=<<your group id>>,umask=0700,rw 1 0

this will make linux assign you as the 'owner' of the partition and set the access modes accordingly. Also, the drive will be checked on each boot up.

Done.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i do the parted and cfdisk stuff if i can't log in(because that would use the /, and i suppose i would want it unmounted to resize)
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"El_Presidente_Pufferfish"...

How do i do the parted and cfdisk stuff if i can't log in(because that would use the /, and i suppose i would want it unmounted to resize)

Is it necessary in the latest version of parted and cfdisk - must admit, didn't try it in mine, don't like doing that sort of thing unless I just have to :!:

Anyway, good idea and well spotted - the solution is to boot from CD or floppy, may I recommend "tomsrtbt" to our readers (also recommended by Linux Planet), visit http://www.toms.net/rb. Download the tomsrtbt-X.XX.XX.tar.gz file and invoke the "install.s" script with "./install.s" (of course!)

I find it a useful piece of kit 8)
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is it necessary in the latest version of parted and cfdisk - must admit, didn't try it in mine, don't like doing that sort of thing unless I just have to :!:

Anyway, good idea and well spotted - the solution is to boot from CD or floppy, may I recommend "tomsrtbt" to our readers (also recommended by Linux Planet), visit http://www.toms.net/rb. Download the tomsrtbt-X.XX.XX.tar.gz file and invoke the "install.s" script with "./install.s" (of course!)

keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arggh - I didnt post THREE messages, whats going on, sorry - not my fault though. 8O
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: