Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bludger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions:

I have xfce4-extras installed and which includes xfce4-taskbar. So now I can include a taskbar in the xfce4 panel. I would like to get rid of the annoying (to me) panel on the top of the screen, because I don't use it anymore and it always pops up when I go to kill a window and move my mouse to the top of the screen. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

I am also used to using kde's konsole as an xterm app, mainly because of the tabbed session feature. Are there any other terminal applications that anyone can recommend using from xfce4 that have this feature?
log
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I did it was:

ps -A |grep xftask

(I think thats what I did) and there should be a process you can kill to kill it.

Once you have done that, it wont come back next time you log in :)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two questions:

I have xfce4-extras installed and which includes xfce4-taskbar. So now I can include a taskbar in the xfce4 panel. I would like to get rid of the annoying (to me) panel on the top of the screen, because I don't use it anymore and it always pops up when I go to kill a window and move my mouse to the top of the screen. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

I am also used to using kde's konsole as an xterm app, mainly because of the tabbed session feature. Are there any other terminal applications that anyone can recommend using from xfce4 that have this feature?

To remove xftaskbar4 (which introduces the taskbar that is not integrated with your panel)
Code:
killall xftaskbar4

A replacement for konsole:
Code:
 emerge  -pv xfce-extra/terminal

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/vte-0.11.11-r2  -debug -doc +python 867 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-python/pyrex-0.9.3-r1  171 kB
[ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/dbus-0.23-r3  +X -debug +gtk +python +qt +xml2 1,250 kB
[ebuild  N    ] xfce-extra/exo-0.2.0-r1  -debug -doc 349 kB
[ebuild  N    ] xfce-extra/terminal-0.2.2-r1  -debug -doc 730 kB

Total size of downloads: 3,370 kB

HTH
bludger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I just killed the taskbar and installed xfce-extras/terminal. After immediately changing the font to bitstream-vera-sans-mono, it looks pretty good. It lacks the "new session" button that I am used to with konsole, but I can quickly get used to typing Ctrl-Shift-t. I also prefer the look of the small tabs in konsole compared to these big tabs that stretch across the screen, but that is no big deal.
bludger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question in regard to xfce-extras/terminal. How do I get it to display text encoded with iso-8859-15 (eg. umlauts and the euro)? Xterm displays them ok, but terminal does not.
bludger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bludger wrote:
Another question in regard to xfce-extras/terminal. How do I get it to display text encoded with iso-8859-15 (eg. umlauts and the euro)? Xterm displays them ok, but terminal does not.

Surely someone has an answer to this question?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the umlauts, etc so I don't even know how to display them. But, I suggest the following:

1. In a terminal, write:
Code:
xfontsel

2. Then go to rgstry and select iso-8859-15 ( I have only iso-8859 in my system, i wonder what the "-15" at the end signifies ).
3. Select your favourite font family from fmly
4. Change the other values to whatever you want, till you are satisfied with the font that is displayed
5. Copy the font name into clipboard by pressing select
6. Look out for some argument to terminal ( i don't have terminal installed ) by which you can specify the font. For example in aterm, I have to specify using "aterm -fn <font name obtained from xfontsel> " which opens that particular font. Then you can always start terminal using that argument.

I guess, that should enable those fonts in your terminal.

HTH
bludger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, but I think it might be a bit misguided. I have already selected the font "bitstream vera sans mono roman" in the menu of "Terminal". This font is capable of displaying iso-8859-1 and iso8859-15 encoding (the "15" refers new euro capable reworking of the western encoding. I already use this font in eg. konsole and it can display all fonts. The problem is that "Terminal" does not seem to be using the locale parameters and so does not know how to interpret these characters. It displays all of these (8 bit) characters as rectangles, not because the font cannot display them, but because it does not know how to interpret the encoding.

Strangely, when I go into the terminal preferences to change the font and then type in a few umlaut characters, I see them, whereas I cannot see them in the terminal itself.
Devard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfce 4.2.1.1 has been released. The change log is available here. The .1.1 bit is due to having to fix a bad bug as stated on the official site.
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may as well give it a shot....
wheelspin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: xfce4 STILL tries to downgrade Reply with quote

I've read through most of this entire thread. I've been running xfce4-4.2 for quite some time. I decided to run emerge -u --deep world and get this
Code:
[blocks B     ] >=xfce-base/xfce4-4.1.99.2 (is blocking xfce-base/xfce4-base-4.0.6)

I unmerged xfce4-base quite some time ago. I can't find where xfce4-4.1.99.2 is even referenced. All xfce components installed that I can see are 4.2.
Anybody have any ideas?
Devard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is xfce4-menuedtior installed? Have you tried unmerging that?
wheelspin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think menueditor is installed, but I'll double check. Thanks
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd seen the post about 4.2.1.1 sooner. I just wasted some time pulling down the 4.2.1 tars from 03-13-05, which are what the Gentoo mirror still has. The bug at the xfce site says:

2005/03/17 - Xfce 4.2.1.1 released
Xfce 4.2.1.1 has been released quickly after 4.2.1. It includes a fix for a bad bug where panel loses its configuration when saving the session in 4.2.1. The Sourceforge server has been updated, and other mirrors will follow soon.

2005/03/16 - Xfce 4.2.1 released
Xfce 4.2.1 is available. This is a maintenance release. Download locations can be found on this page, and a changelog is available here.

Looks like I'll need to redo the whole emerge again. Losing your panel config is a major bug, so don't waste time upgrading quite yet, until the ebuilds/mirrors are updated.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.9.1 USE=experimental python3_11
wheelspin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelspin wrote:
I don't think menueditor is installed, but I'll double check. Thanks

Its not.

I think I'm at the point of unmerging XFCE and reemerging it. I cannot find the answer to why it keeps wanting to be downgraded. The message I get says XFCE4-4.1.99 is blocking XFCE4-4.0.6. But I can't even see where XFCE4-4.1.99 is even installed! When I look at all the version numbers, they all say 4.2. I don't want the block to go away as much as I want XFCE to stop trying to downgrade itself. I'll try and post the output of my emerge -uDpv world command when I get back to my machine. Maybe some wizard will see something I can't.
graphic23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Wish I'd seen the post about 4.2.1.1 sooner. I just wasted some time pulling down the 4.2.1 tars from 03-13-05, which are what the Gentoo mirror still has. The bug at the xfce site says:

2005/03/17 - Xfce 4.2.1.1 released
Xfce 4.2.1.1 has been released quickly after 4.2.1. It includes a fix for a bad bug where panel loses its configuration when saving the session in 4.2.1. The Sourceforge server has been updated, and other mirrors will follow soon.

2005/03/16 - Xfce 4.2.1 released
Xfce 4.2.1 is available. This is a maintenance release. Download locations can be found on this page, and a changelog is available here.

Looks like I'll need to redo the whole emerge again. Losing your panel config is a major bug, so don't waste time upgrading quite yet, until the ebuilds/mirrors are updated.

Actually, its been fixed. There's a patch on bugs.gentoo.org that will fix this bug.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85676

HTH..
Devard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems version 4.2.1.1 of both Xfce and Xfce panel has been moved into portage.
wheelspin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that xfce4-fsguard was causing xfce to try to downgrade itself. I wish I knew how that got installed...
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
checking for libxfcegui4-1.0 >= 4.2.0... 4.2.2
checking LIBXFCEGUI4_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/xfce4 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 
checking LIBXFCEGUI4_LIBS... -lxfcegui4 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lxfce4util -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 
checking for xfce-mcs-manager >= 4.2.0... 4.2.2
checking XFCE_MCS_MANAGER_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/xfce4 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 
checking XFCE_MCS_MANAGER_LIBS... -lxfcegui4 -lxfce4mcs-manager -lxfce4mcs-client -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lxfce4util -lglib-2.0 
checking where to install MCS plugins... ${exec_prefix}/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins
checking for libstartup-notification-1.0 >= 0.5... 0.8
checking LIBSTARTUP_NOTIFICATION_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 
checking LIBSTARTUP_NOTIFICATION_LIBS... -lstartup-notification-1 
checking for XRRUpdateConfiguration in -lXrandr... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xrandr.h... yes
checking for xcomposite >= 1.0 xfixes xdamage xrender... Requested ''xcomposite >= 1.0'' but version of Xcomposite is 0.2.1
configure: error: Library requirements (xcomposite >= 1.0 xfixes xdamage xrender) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
  ...done!

im running xorg 7.0 theirs not version 1.0 of xcomposite in the xorg modular tree what do i do?
Tane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unmask xfwm4-4.2.2-r1 if I remember it correctly
gravedigga_23
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I just looked through the new source code to xfwm4. One of the bugs I reported didn't make it in. To make a long story short, there's a feature in xfwm4 that lets you configure how far from each edge of the window that the shadow is drawn. Only problem is, they apply an absolute value function to some of the setttings when they are parsed. All four of them need to be able to be negative for it to actually work correctly. So, here's my patch:

Open settings.c and change lines 663-670 from this:
Code:

screen_info->params->shadow_delta_x =
abs (TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_x", rc)));
screen_info->params->shadow_delta_y =
abs (TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_y", rc)));
screen_info->params->shadow_delta_width =
abs (TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_width", rc)));
screen_info->params->shadow_delta_height =
abs (TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_height", rc)));

to this:
Code:

screen_info->params->shadow_delta_x =
TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_x", rc));
screen_info->params->shadow_delta_y =
TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_y", rc));
screen_info->params->shadow_delta_width =
-1 * TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_width", rc));
screen_info->params->shadow_delta_height =
-1 * TOINT (getValue ("shadow_delta_height", rc));

Compile and install

the source code of compositor changed!
i cant find this lines, has anyone a solution for the version 4.2.2 of xfwm?
gravedigga_23
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and these patches doesnt work too for me!
Quote:

I'm the proud reporter of Satan's bug.
http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=666

I just took this on because I've heard so many people want this feature.
http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=602

can anyone help me?

solved: the syntax changed a littllebit, now i was able to configure shadows (in the first lines of compositor.c), and the fade-in/out work too (looked in the patch and copied manual in the specific files)
the only thing i dont know is how to change the opacity of focused and unfocused windows
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: