Quick Search: in
glic-2.2.5-r2 vs glibc-2.2.5-r3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: glic-2.2.5-r2 vs glibc-2.2.5-r3 Reply with quote

I am presently re-installing my Gentoo system (experimenting). I changed the packages profile so that it uses newer builds for glibc, binutils (for the combreloc support), gcc etc during the bootstrap (basically a more refined adaptation of the so-called KDE 3.0.1 optimisation tips in Tips'n'Tricks). I am sticking with gcc 2.9.5, but made sure it would use 2.9.5-r5. Picking the latest revisions for these builds was pretty clear cut except ... I noticed that there is a glibc-2.2.5-r3 build, however when I examined the Changelog the comments seemed to indicate that it is somehow forked. The r2 build was updated more recently than the r3 build which is a little confusing. r2 fixes an issue with localtime and r3 fixes a nasty sounding ld.so.preload bug.

In the end I went with r2, simply because I see that GCC 3.1 users are tending to pick that (at least, Neik's mini-guide says to use it in one of the postings in the relevant forum). Maybe I should have used r3 though ... any thoughts?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC 3.1 would use glibc-2.2.5-r4, it's got the divdi3 patch. Only difference between r2 and r3 which I could fine was a patch for sandbox (and a link to localtime was in r3) . Think you should go for r4 when using GCC 3.1, r4 is same as r2 and has glibc-divdi3 patch, think its the latest but probably still in testing.

Cya lX.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: I see ... Reply with quote

That's an interesting development concerning the r4 release, I was vaguely aware of the problem you refer to from reading the GCC 3.1 posts. Mind you, I'm not diving into GCC 3.1 just yet, at least not on the box I'm using. Probably I'll get involved with the GCC 3.1 effort when I get around to installing it on my home box (I have no Internet access at home, so I need to burn a heap of distfiles and a Portage snapshot!). Looks like I could have used r3 then ... oh well, better bootstrap it again.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: