Gentoo-Doc - Itemized Documentation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Gentoo-Doc - Itemized Documentation Reply with quote

Hi,

Note: I tried to send this message to Gentoo-Doc a few days ago. I wasn't on since, so i didn't notice that it bouced. Anyways, here is what i wrote (since i cant post on gentoo-doc)

i think the discussion was about what style gentoos howtos/mini howtos should have.

This is probably a good time to throw in my idea about 'Itemized documentation'. It would be a very nice addition to the website (and i believe a unique one too).

Basically the Documentation would consist of many little mini-howtos, each one about the length of one section in our courent documentation and should be written in a step-by-step way. These sections might require some sort of dependency system (eg. the step 'setup and compile kernel' should only tell the user to activate the ide-scsi module, if he told the documentation that he's going to use a cd burner)

Ideally, some online-assistant should be designed to find out, how the user wants to set up his computer. After the assistant is done asking questions, it should assemble the sections and return a complete and individual gentoo set up tutorial to the user.

This could probably not replace the old documentation style, but it can definetaly help new users geting done with whatever they want to do, quicker and easyer. Another plus is that adding tutorials would become easier and less time consuming (you only have to write one section rather than a whole how-to)

please comment ...

Dennis Schaaf [/i]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: