Palm USB sync problmes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmuench
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Palm USB sync problmes Reply with quote

I am trying to hotsync my palm m505 with jpilot. I am totally lost Does anybody know how to do this? Do I need hotplug or udevfs
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too hard with udev.

a) You need to make sure a device is created/linked to with the correct permissions (such that you can access it, but no extraneous parties)

b) Tell your synching app where to look.

My udev description file "10-pilot.rules" in /etc/udev/rules.d/:

Code:
BUS="usb",SYSFS{serial}="PalmSN12345678",KERNEL="*0",NAME="%k",SYMLINK="pilot",GROUP="pilot",MODE="0660"

You'll have to put in the serial number for your own device, which is likely not the same as mine. You can find this with "lsusb -v".

Now tell jpilot to look at /dev/pilot
Flandry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Finally Reply with quote

After endless confusion, including thinking i'd have to install udev (which everyone seems to assume has been done, but nobody has explained why) because that's all that came up when i searched on here, i finally discovered today that the only thing i had to do to get my Palm Tungsten|T3 to sync (via USB) with KPilot was to go into the USB options in the kernel configuration, select (as a module) the serial converter option, and then pick the Visor module under that.

Then, make and install your modules, et voila! No installing this udev thing. No rebooting, even.

So for any normal Gentoo user that hasn't found that obscure option in the kernel config, now you know how to get your Palm to sync.

Man, that would have saved me a lot of time in migrating my Palm to Zaurus if i'd known that was all i had to do.

So i hope someone else finds this useful.
leftbas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur!!! Hallelujah, I can finally sync my Palm Zire 31 to Kontact! I'm surprised no one else ever bothered to mention enabling the serial to USB conversion support in the kernel. But when I read this post, I knew that had to be the answer...especially since it was about the only thing I hadn't considered.

Anyway, thank you Flandry! You're a genius.
bastain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftbas wrote:
I concur!!! Hallelujah, I can finally sync my Palm Zire 31 to Kontact! I'm surprised no one else ever bothered to mention enabling the serial to USB conversion support in the kernel. But when I read this post, I knew that had to be the answer...especially since it was about the only thing I hadn't considered.

Anyway, thank you Flandry! You're a genius.

It worked for me too....thanx, B U T....I got another strange problem.

When I add a new Date in Korganizer its not hotsynced with my Tungsten C. The other way is working fine. But when I enter a new event in Korganizer its deleted in Korganizer too, after I made a hotsync. Any idea?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: