Own boot partition?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rumo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Own boot partition? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm quite new to gentoo - actually I'm in the middle of compiling my first system.

My first question is, why there should be an own /boot partition? There are already two
running OS on my harddisk and I don't really like the idea of repartioning the whole disk.

I have 3 primary partions, and the extended partion (with it's subpartitions) is at the end - so there is AFAIK no way to create a boot partition in the first disk sectors as suggested by the Gentoo Handbook.

Also I know that you don't need a boot partition in the first 1024 cylinders of your harddisk anymore. I tried it with SuSE and Debian/Knoppix and both worked well.

So what exactly is the disadvantage of /boot in / ?

In the past I always booted with the help of initrd. Is this the downside? Or was it only required because i presumably compiled something as a module when I should have compiled it in the kernel instead?

Thanks,

Philipp
Akhouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Own boot partition? Reply with quote

Rumo wrote:

So what exactly is the disadvantage of /boot in / ?

It is not strictly necessary to have /boot on a separate partition and I have created gentoo machines with /boot on the / parition and everything works as expected. So go ahead and do it...:)

The main advantage of having a seperate parition is just to keep it out of the way. On servers I leave it unmounted so it can't be damaged. So machines can't have /boot over a certain size but I am not an expert on which types of machines. I have had the problem in the past but it was sometime ago now.

Rumo wrote:

In the past I always booted with the help of initrd. Is this the downside? Or was it only required because i presumably compiled something as a module when I should have compiled it in the kernel instead?

Yes, initrd is used when vital components of the kernel are modules and they need to be loaded first before the machine can fully boot. It is also used for auto-detecting certain configurations. For example, a scsi module would be needed for a scsi card to load the / partition. If you want to make your life easy you might want to use genkernel that creates a initrd anyway. It can be easir to manage upgrades than manually building the kernel (and you can still do a menuconfig anyway).
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Own boot partition? Reply with quote

Rumo wrote:
I have 3 primary partions, and the extended partion (with it's subpartitions) is at the end - so there is AFAIK no way to create a boot partition in the first disk sectors as suggested by the Gentoo Handbook.

Having /boot on a separate partition is optional.

Booting Linux from a primary partition is also optional (DOS/Windows requires a primary partition to boot from).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: