View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that this link has the files that need worked on to fix the problem. I used it to fix my problem with the error (libraries:libstdc++.so.5 )
This was after doing (emerge [ebuild U ] sys-devel/gcc-3.3.5-r1 [3.3.4-r1] )

The answer that I used was from L1A
It worked like a charm for me.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=131129

Hope that this gives the answer to what files were messed up for you.
djwilf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you, if like me, are seeing i386 in the LIB path error, but is now using i686, then run the fix tool as follows :

fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.4 --oldarch i386-pc-linux-gnu

it has fixed the compile error for me.

Found the additional command from the script file in /sbin.
cmoad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

fix_libtool_files.sh still doesn't work me after upgrading to 3.3.5-r1. I tried everything in this and other forums. libstdc++.so.5 does exist however in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/. If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to this everything works fine. So......

Do others have a libstdc++.so.5 symlink in /usr/lib/?
What does your /etc/env.d/05gcc file look like? Here is mine:

Quote:
PATH="/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.3.5"
ROOTPATH="/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.3.5"
MANPATH="/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/man"
INFOPATH="/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/info"
LDPATH="/usr/lib/globus-2.4/lib"
GCC_SPECS=""

The globus mention seems wrong to me. I never edited this file. I upgraded from the last stable 3.3.4.

Thanks,
cmoad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I fixed it as I suspected. I have no clue how the globus reference got in there, but I edited /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 to make LDPATH="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5". Then I ran "gcc-config 1; env-update" and everything is working again.
BliZZZard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Sigh.... Reply with quote

:cry: Well, none of the items listed in this post have made one bit of difference on my system. But the still odd ball part of my problem is the fact that it's looking for gcc 3.3.5.4. I've double checked /etc/env.d/05gcc file and it's pointing to the right place. I've ran gcc-config 1, env-update, source /etc/profile and updated by libs via fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3

Currently going back to 3.3.4, just to see if re-emerging gcc will do any good :?

Any suggestions before I throw the towel in... Forunately I'm getting a new machine so I'm getting that one going, but until then I really do need an app that i cannot compile ... grrr

Anyways... thanks to anyone who can still give some help :)
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, just the right fix.
BliZZZard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: now it's even cooler of an error! Reply with quote

Now here's the real kick in the pants... after emerge gcc 3.3.4, I come up with the error:

Code:
grep: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4.5.4/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory

:x Now it's looking for 3.3.4.5.4? It's almost like every time I emerge gcc, it's appending the version minor after the 3.3. but not removing the previous minor... :evil:

Fortunately, as mentioned before I'm on my way to a new laptop, but I would like to not have to reload this machine...
memil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: now it's even cooler of an error! Reply with quote

Try:
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.4.5.4

I had the first problem you mentioned and that one I solved just like that...

/Fredrik
BliZZZard wrote:
Now here's the real kick in the pants... after emerge gcc 3.3.4, I come up with the error:

Code:
grep: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4.5.4/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory

:x Now it's looking for 3.3.4.5.4? It's almost like every time I emerge gcc, it's appending the version minor after the 3.3. but not removing the previous minor... :evil:

Fortunately, as mentioned before I'm on my way to a new laptop, but I would like to not have to reload this machine...
BliZZZard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: BliZZZard bows to all powerful memil! Reply with quote

That did it !!!

Quote:
Try:
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.4.5.4

I had the first problem you mentioned and that one I solved just like that...

/Fredrik

Thank you very very much!!
Massis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the hints and the solution; they did the trick!
Gerator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried all the tips in this thread but they doesn't work. I'm going to mask 3.3.5 and stuck with 3.3.4

Code:
grep: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[3]: *** [libk3bdevice.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/k3b-0.11.18/work/k3b-0.11.18/src/device'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/k3b-0.11.18/work/k3b-0.11.18/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/k3b-0.11.18/work/k3b-0.11.18'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is quite annoying :evil:

EDIT:

For BliZZZard:

Have you remerged 3.3.5 after getting 3.3.4 to work??

Thx.
psk31
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalek wrote:
Just in case, I found this fix in another thread, suprized it ain't in dups. Anyway, they posted this command:

Code:
gcc-config 1

Hope that helps.

:D :D :D :D

Can you provide more details on this fix? What exactly does it do and are there negative consequences running it with the other fix script?

psk31
Xaid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psk31, if you do
gcc-config -l
you will see a list of the gcc profiles available on your system, for example, when I run "gcc-config -l" I get:
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp

so by saying
gcc-config 1
you are telling it to use the first profile (you can use the full name of the profile if you want too), so it would be something like:
gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5

I hope that clears it up.

Edit: afaik, it has no negative effects, from what I've been reading, it should've been ran automatically, but sometimes for some reason, it doesnt run, so you have to run it manually.
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear jesus fscking christ!
could someone of the moderators please finally stop this? thank you!

why?

it has been discussed every fscking time a new gcc version has gone stable, and i am sick and tired to read this.

i agree the searchfunction of this boards is not one of its best, though, searching "gcc update" will fix everyone up.

thank you!
JuddRogers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
Just for curiosity, does anyone know which file
(not getting updated) caused this problem?

As I recall, the sundry .la files fixed by the fix... script have hardcoded paths in them. This is efficient but painful on an upgrade.

I've no idea why upgrading does not take care of this step. Could be a deficiency in the gentoo packaging.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be because some of us non-gurus need the re-assurrance. I try to read several threads before I do something. There is always more than one way to do most things.

I wish I had done more of that before I tried to remove a old KDE this morning. It removed some of my libs and put me on the edge of a re-install.

I vote, carry on. There is always the unsubscibe button. Gcc is too important to mess with without help.

Later

:D :D :D :D

edit: can't type worth crap. :cry: :oops:
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
Bushwack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this simple fix, it's probably a lot more stable then my inital solution:

ln -s 3.3.5 3.3.4
Oyst3h
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hds wrote:
dear jesus fscking christ!
could someone of the moderators please finally stop this? thank you!

why?

it has been discussed every fscking time a new gcc version has gone stable, and i am sick and tired to read this.

i agree the searchfunction of this boards is not one of its best, though, searching "gcc update" will fix everyone up.

thank you!

hint to mr. angry above. clicking the "back" button on your browser will let you not read threads. this may be an easier solution than swearing at those gentoo users struggling through their first gcc update.
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I'm thinking that it may be useful to have some sort of message shown when one pretends to update gcc, i.e. emerge -p. Much like the message when portage is to be updated in an emerge -up world. However, this message would say something like: "At this point the update process will stop and please manually run the fix_libtool.sh script."

Does this sound like a good idea? Should I submit a bug report?

Of course, if this script was run automatically then one wouldn't have to worry about this. No one here has addressed the question asked in this thread about why this script is not run automatically. So, I ask again, why isn't it?

dq
FiggyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for the fix :D
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hds wrote:

Then don't you think that it's amazing that portage STILL doesn't take care of this for people automatically when it's updating GCC? Surely, if it comes up every time, then something is broken with the way it currently works...
If you feel so strongly about it, don't complain here but post, support or help out with a bug about making this go away for good.

A bit more constructive then swearing and yelling :)
slougi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushwack wrote:
Thanks for this simple fix, it's probably a lot more stable then my inital solution:

ln -s 3.3.5 3.3.4

Ouch. That's really ugly, don't do that. What was your problem, I don't see a previous post by you in this thread?

Anyway, I believe the correct fix is to run
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh <old gcc version>
. This will fix up the various libtool (*.la) files with hardcoded library paths. If you see references to some obscure gcc version, like BliZZZard, run
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh <obscure gcc version>
which will update the .la files to point to the gcc version currently specified using gcc-config.

(Yes this has all been said in this thread, but not coherently enough for everybody to realise exactly what to do)
N715DP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slougi wrote:
Bushwack wrote:

ln -s 3.3.5 3.3.4

Ouch. That's really ugly, don't do that. What was your problem, I don't see a previous post by you in this thread?

Anyway, I believe the correct fix is to run
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh <old gcc version>
. This will fix up the various libtool (*.la) files with hardcoded library paths. If you see references to some obscure gcc version, like BliZZZard, run
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh <obscure gcc version>
which will update the .la files to point to the gcc version currently specified using gcc-config.

(Yes this has all been said in this thread, but not coherently enough for everybody to realise exactly what to do)

While it's not pretty, the symbolic link is what I ended up needing to do as well. Nothing else in this thread would work. As soon as I made the sym link, everything started working.
rustyboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add.

emerge liblist and then running the fix sorted it for me

Thanks Guys

Rustyboy
meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA wrote:
I ran the script and it fixed lots of stuff, but for example: emerge attr still gives a compile error searching for 3.3.4. Even the next day after a reboot, so it's not env stuff that's wrong. I even deleted the work directory and distfile. :/

Code:
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../crti.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/crtendS.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../crtn.o: No such file or directory
gmake[1]: *** [libattr.la] Error 1
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/attr-2.4.19 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 58, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Same here, although in my case with 'emerge jpeg':
Code:

g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../crti.o /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/crtbeginS.o  .l
ibs/jcapimin.o .libs/jcapistd.o .libs/jctrans.o .libs/jcparam.o .libs/jdatadst.o .libs/jcinit.o .libs/jcmaster.o .libs/jcmarker.o .libs
/jcmainct.o .libs/jcprepct.o .libs/jccoefct.o .libs/jccolor.o .libs/jcsample.o .libs/jchuff.o .libs/jcphuff.o .libs/jcdctmgr.o .libs/jf
dctfst.o .libs/jfdctflt.o .libs/jfdctint.o .libs/jdapimin.o .libs/jdapistd.o .libs/jdtrans.o .libs/jdatasrc.o .libs/jdmaster.o .libs/jd
input.o .libs/jdmarker.o .libs/jdhuff.o .libs/jdphuff.o .libs/jdmainct.o .libs/jdcoefct.o .libs/jdpostct.o .libs/jddctmgr.o .libs/jidct
fst.o .libs/jidctflt.o .libs/jidctint.o .libs/jidctred.o .libs/jdsample.o .libs/jdcolor.o .libs/jquant1.o .libs/jquant2.o .libs/jdmerge
.o .libs/jcomapi.o .libs/jutils.o .libs/jerror.o .libs/jmemmgr.o .libs/jmemnobs.o  -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4 -L/usr/li
b/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../.. -lstdc++ -lm -l
c -lgcc_s /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../crtn.o  -Wl,-soname -Wl,libjpeg.so.62 -o .libs/libjpeg.so.62.0.0
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../crti.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/crtendS.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../crtn.o: No such file or directory
distcc[30128] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed
make: *** [libjpeg.la] Error 1

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: