View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simkin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tilda-0.07 -- ebuild included Reply with quote

Code:
DESCRIPTION="A drop down terminal, similar to the consoles found in first person shooters"
HOMEPAGE="http://tilda.sourceforge.net"
SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/tilda/${P}.tar.gz"

LICENSE="GPL"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~x86"

IUSE=""
DEPEND="x11-libs/vte"
S=${WORKDIR}/${P}

src_compile() {
   ./configure --prefix="/usr" || die "Configure failed"
   make || die "Make failed"
}

src_install() {
   make DESTDIR=${D} install
}

Yeah! tilda-0.7 works fine here, It've been imporved a lot! Thank you! ;)
You can add ~amd64 to the keyowords, it compiles with no problems.
When will we see this into portage? The ebuild in the tree is really out of date... :cry:
Keep up the good work, tilda rocks!!
Edit: a happy screenshot
LightEater
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the hotkey? it doesn't do anything when pressed. I even tried leaving it at default "None+F1" and nothing. Running kde 3.4.1 here.

[edit] Ok, my mistake, it sets itself up to default widthxheigh = 1x1 :) But anyway, i cant seem to bind it to Ctrl+` like im used to, any hints?

Also, there's this problem with the focus, tilda doesnt become active after pressing the hotkey, i have to click somewhere in the term to be able to type there. Another good improvement would be an option to select the text color, pure white is a little too much on the eyes during the night :)

Otherwise im very satisfied, works much faster and smoother than kuake.
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out the problem with '. I tried "Control+'" on mine and it didn't work, could have sworn this worked in the past. Hopefully I can have this fixed by the next release, which was supposed to be a week ago but I haven't had time to work with tilda in 2 weeks. I should have the time this week and get the new release out with tabs and bug fixes (the biggest one being the crash during startup due to my stupidity using gthreads). I have also come to a lose with the focus problem. It works some of the time in Gnome 1.2 and always in xfce and fluxbox, havn't tried KDE yet. I have gtk_present_window () in the code which is supposed to grab focus from the window manager but for some reason can't always. I posted on the gtk_app_devel list and got no replies. Hopefully I or someone else can find out whats causing this odd problem soon.

So be on the look out this week for a new release.

Tristan
Sudrien
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out Tilda 0.07 yesterday - installed, not emerge, because of the ebuild issue.

Comments:

1. It seems like adding the scrollbar is not considered properly when determining window width. There are functions to determing scrollbar dimentions, if I remember correctly.

2. Lock files aren't clearing out when I log off without closing tilda. a rm ~/.tilda/locks/* is all I need, but...

3. it would be nice if there was an option to hide when focus left the terminal.

4. More sane default values for dimentions. Even a 100x100 box would be better.

-Sud.
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I similar functionality in but caused problems since tilda is usually usually used to cover the whole screen width, and I havn't had time to make the two work together. I'm sure it won't be to much trouble, hopefully will work for .09.

2) Thats in the cvs and will be in .08

3) Good idea, that'll be in .09 -- hopefully I'll remember

4) Good idea as well, i just added in the cvs for the defaults to be 200x100 -- so in .08.

Tristan
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you fixed the problem with screen in cvs? In case you missed it, if I start a screen session in tilda, backspace stops working (del works fine)
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Screen Reply with quote

Sorry but no, screen does not work yet. I forgot about this problem but I am working on it right now. I will be putting out a new version of tilda today -- which may still have the problem with None+` and backspace in screen but I'd really like to get this release out.

^H works for backspace in gnu screen in tilda so it seems the backspace key for some reason isn't being mapped right when screen is run. I found a post online that it used to not work in gnome-terminal (it works in mine though). So my guess is it might be a VTE problem that gnome-terminal created a work around for. Hopefully I can solve the problem before tonight so it can be in the release.

Tristan
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Screen works!! Reply with quote

Well that didn't take as long as I expected. Screen's backspace now works. Now its just down to the ` character being able to be used in the keybindings.

Tristan
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: ~ Works Reply with quote

Well I guess I can't be too mad that you didn't read the README because I wrote it and still didn't read it apparently.

For None+` or Control+` you have to do None+grave to get that effect. None+grave wiill move tilda up and down with `. I spent an hour today busting my head over why this didn't work and then it hit me and I opened up the README. haha, boy do I feel like a fool.

Tristan
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: .08 is out Reply with quote

.08 is on the sf servers now. http://sf.net/projects/tilda

Its got lots of bug fixes, tabs, and maybe fixed that focus problem. Well just try it out and let me know if there are any problems or suggested features. It's not as good as i'd hope for this release. I plan to have the current working directory be the title for the tabs in .09 and a few other config options will be added for .09.

Tristan
rel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Works Reply with quote

kungfooguru wrote:
Well I guess I can't be too mad that you didn't read the README because I wrote it and still didn't read it apparently.

For None+` or Control+` you have to do None+grave to get that effect. None+grave wiill move tilda up and down with `. I spent an hour today busting my head over why this didn't work and then it hit me and I opened up the README. haha, boy do I feel like a fool.

Tristan

I don't get it. Whatever I enter as a keybind, nothing works. The suggestion here "None+grave" would roll-up/down
tilda with the key ` doesn't work.

am I doing somthing wrong?

rel
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

Can you give me more info. What version are you using? What window manager? Do you have any other key grabbing programs, like xbindkeys, running? Any thing else different/special about your X setup or keyboard?

Tristan
rel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: more info Reply with quote

kungfooguru wrote:
Can you give me more info. What version are you using? What window manager? Do you have any other key grabbing programs, like xbindkeys, running? Any thing else different/special about your X setup or keyboard?

Tristan

Hi, xbindkeys was not running :D am running 0.8 and I like it :)
Really somthing like this was missing, awesomely handy for tailing logfiles and press them away.

a request/feature

- possiblity to run mulitple terminals and they have own keybinds
for having multiple logfiles open with 'tail -f'. ( xosd printing a nice title ;) )

- a (wired) frame around the terminal?

thanks for tilda

-rel
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it OK to post about bugs here ?
- If tilda is setup to start hidden it wastes all cpu power until it is opened for the first time. ( Tilda 0.8, ebuild from gentoo bugzilla )
- If tilda is opened while another app has the focus, the console's cursor is not being focussed - thus one needs to click into it once to focus it before typing anything.
- I only get a scrollbar in the first ( or only ) tab
- I would appreciate it if the frame that is drawn around tilda when several tabs are open would also be drawn if only a single tab is shown.
- The tab names are "Tilda 0.8". They should react to the respective shell variable like gnome-terminal and other terms do
( e.g. in a normaler terminal emerge shows its status in the window / tab title of the terminal - in tilda it doesn't )

However, tilda is really awesome. If added to the autostart apps in GNOME's session configuration its not even necessary to run it once. And its so cool to run time consuming tasks like emerge sync or emerge -uavD world in tilda and then hide the console until its finished. And it integrates into GNOME so well.
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I was aware of most of those problems and will begin work on them soon, but the CPU usage when tilda is started hidden and the scrollbar only showing in the first tab I was unaware of those, thanks for bringing that up.

What do people think of how when you have multiple tabs open and make a settings change to one it only affect that single tab? Is that good or bad? I guess I'll make it an option for the next release. I like it that way but understand it should be configurable, and no that doesn't explain what is happening with the scrollbar that is different situtation since it happens when scrollbar is set to TRUE in the config file.

I have yet to figure out how to find the working directory for the terminal yet and that is why Tilda .08 is the title of each tab. I havn't had time to research it yet either, I'm sure I can dig out how they do it in gnome-terminal once I don't have to spend sleepless nights for work.

Also, anyone interested in talking about features for tilda, how to implement them or just wanting help with tilda please come to #tilda on irc.oftc.net. Stupid school blocked IRC, but I am finally off campus :), oh how I missed it.

Tristan
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

kungfooguru wrote:
What do people think of how when you have multiple tabs open and make a settings change to one it only affect that single tab? Is that good or bad? I guess I'll make it an option for the next release. I like it that way but understand it should be configurable, and no that doesn't explain what is happening with the scrollbar that is different situtation since it happens when scrollbar is set to TRUE in the config file.

Personally I think this would not be a too good idea. gnome-terminal doesn't behave so and I think tilda will fit better into GNOME if it is a different kind of a gnome-terminal. Furthermore I think it would be very hard to implement. Tilda probably should start with a single tab and even after some tabs have been opened its possible that they will be closed again. Now if a new tab is opened, which configuration should it use if there were several configs for several tabs.

kungfooguru wrote:
I have yet to figure out how to find the working directory for the terminal yet and that is why Tilda .08 is the title of each tab. I havn't had time to research it yet either, I'm sure I can dig out how they do it in gnome-terminal once I don't have to spend sleepless nights for work.

I think its not a matter of displaying a work directory. Its rather a matter of displaying the value of the shell variable "PS1" which in turn consists of complex commands to parse ( e.g. mine is PS1="[33]0;u w - Terminal07]u w # " ). But surely gnome-terminal contains some nice code to get the correct thing to show.
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

PS just tells the shell how to display the prompt. Though \w does mean current working directory. And I guess I could put the username@hostname at the top of the tab as well as the current directory.

I can just get the value of $PWD for each VTE widget but then how do I know when to update it, when the dir has changed? Thats the tough part.

Tristan
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things you need:

Amd64 version
Transparent background
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avieth wrote:
Two things you need:

Amd64 version
Transparent background

I am running it on AMD64...
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked in portage, it says tilda is only for x86. Of course, I could do a portage overlay hack, but I don't think thats a good idea.
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version of tilda in portage is from ancient times. You need to setup an overlay or wait a few months until a new version gets into portage :

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77857

Last edited by Devport on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Don't use version in portage Reply with quote

DON'T USE THE VERSION IN PORTAGE!!!

haha, they won't take it out and they won't update it. So anytime I talk about tilda people go and get that piece of crap and it makes me look bad. I wish they would just take it out of portage.

Transparent backgrounds do work in tilda, though they need some tweaking. Gotta add configurable tinting.

Tristan
kungfooguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: 0.08.1 Reply with quote

This release fixes some of the problems we have been discussing regarding the scrollbar and the preferences.

1) Fixed the problem of the scrollbar not showing up on the new tabs.
2) Fixed the problem of all open tabs no taking the new preferences set while Tilda is running.
3) Fixed compile warnings given when compiling with gcc4

Plus other minor code cleanups and bug fixes.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tilda/tilda-0.08.1.tar.gz?download

I guess I am going to submit an ebuild for it as well.

Tristan
Lucractius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Tilda 8.1 Reply with quote

Well it again happily runs on sparc :) Glad to see it again.
but i seem to have found a few glitches :(

transparency settings only take effect if you create a new tab.

and If you make a new tab then remove all the extra tabs, it seems to stop responding to its keybinding.
~~edit~~ this thing seems to have gone away now, must have been a glitch due to the large number of tabs involved in the incident

Ill be poking round more over the next few hours and if i resolve either of these or find more ill let you know :)
steevdave
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small feature request - turn off bold in terminals - im not sure how it is done - but I know that Gnome-terminal offers the option, so perhaps you could look in there to see how they do it - Its not that I don't enjoy bold text, its that a lot of fonts look like crap when the text is bold.

Great job - I installed this a few hours ago, and love it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: