pcmcia_core module not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziphnor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: pcmcia_core module not found Reply with quote

Hi,

A few days ago i downloaded the 1.4rc1 livecd, to install on my laptop computer. It has a PCMCIA network adapter. Following the install guide i tried the command "insmod pcmcia_core", but got the message "no such module".

After searching on these forums i found some posts regarding this, regarding how to use the 1.2 cd to circumvent the problem, and i also believe i saw a link to an alternate 1.4rc1 cd. Furthermore there was a bug registered regarding this, but it was closed even though i never really figured out what the solution was...

Now, however, i cant find any of the above, so i couldnt think of anything except asking for help here....
Any help would be appreciated, be it a link to a different 1.4 cd, or a guide to using the 1.2 cd (or just someone pointing out that im an idiot, perhaps :) ).
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No idiot :D
Indeed it was a bug in 1.4_rc1, and (silently) a link was posted to an experimental new iso on bugzilla.

However, I have without much hassle used a 1.2 CD for 2 laptops these days:

1) boot
    2) do modprobe with pcmcia_core, i82365, ds
    3) cardmgr -f

Now it should see your pcmcia stuff, so continue the normal way
(If you forgot the exact syntax of the ifconfig stuff, just open a new console and do cat /etc/issue)

(It's almost trivial to set up things like sshd, nfs, even distcc before you compiling a new kernel and rebooting)

Good luck :!:
May The Source be with you!
ziphnor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basicly i just use the 1.2 CD and get the 1.4 stage file instead of the 1.2 one?

Apart from the pcmcia stuff will there be any major differences/issues by just following the 1.4 install guide exactly?(This is my first source based linux install, so i prefer to play it safe :)
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to mention the stage-file: indeed you can just use 1.4 stage files (I only tried stage3 though for the laptops)

AFAIK there's no other catches, the only extra work with 1.2 compared to 1.4 is, that you have to set up networking manually, according to /etc/issue in a 1.2 install shell.
May The Source be with you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: