Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
"C compiler cannot create executables" !??!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged from here.
tel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc-config -l says:

[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

help yourself, give up with ccache
tel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misunderstand. I just tried to compile ccache as a test because it's so quick to do.

The compiler fails with the bus error on EVERY package.
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: just a try Reply with quote

Just to try something.

gcc-4.4.4 seems to be the latest version. Yours is saying gcc-4.4.3. try this

Quote:
emerge -vp gcc

What version does it bring in. Is it wanting to update version or stay at 4.4.3 with a yellow R.

If it wants to update it then go ahead and try

Quote:
emerge -v gcc

If you recently changed your arch settings in make.conf after install it could be you have library's compiled with different arch's

Try

Quote:
revdep-rebuild

See what errors that finds

If that still fails with this bus error we shall have to look deeper. Here is the gcc definition of a Bus Error.

Bus error
These runtime messages indicate a memory access error. Common causes include:

* dereferencing a null pointer or uninitialized pointer
* out-of-bounds array access
* incorrect use of malloc, free and related functions
* use of scanf with invalid arguments

There is a subtle difference between segmentation faults and bus errors. A segmentation fault occurs when a process tries to access memory protected by the operating system. A bus error occurs when valid memory is accessed in an incorrect way (for example, trying to read an unaligned value on architectures where values must be aligned with 4-byte offsets).

You have ~amd64 set and then march=native with x86_64. march=native could be pulling something in your arch that might not work with the x86-64. Worth a look.

Have you ever had successful compiles with these arch variables set. If so it may not be that but google round and make sure you have these set correct. I remember reading somewhere there is a arch in the kernel now for x86_64 and a separate one for amd64
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also here is a great wiki for setting the corect settings for your processor.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/AMD

or even here which is the home area check down the list on your CPU and make sure you set it corretly. I am almost certain most the amd64 and x86_64 have been sort of split but hey worth a look.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags

Hope this helps a bit
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea just thought!

You may want to check in your kernel config and make sure you have your CPU arch and memory set correctly for your system that the kernel is running on.

If its intel or AMD check the section in menuconfig that correctly lists your CPU arch then compile and install the kernel. Retry emerge things and see if it works.
tazhate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: sandbox doesnt emerging Reply with quote

hi all :)

>>> Emerging (1 of 3) sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1
* sandbox-2.3.tar.xz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* Package: sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1
* Repository: gentoo
* Maintainer: sandbox@gentoo.org
* USE: amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux multilib userland_GNU
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking sandbox-2.3.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/work
unpack sandbox-2.3.tar.xz: file format not recognized. Ignoring.
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/work
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/work/sandbox-2.3 ...
* Configuring sandbox for ABI=x86...
* econf: updating sandbox-2.3/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
* econf: updating sandbox-2.3/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
../sandbox-2.3//configure --prefix=/usr --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib32
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking environment state... ok
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -m32
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/work/build-x86':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/work/build-x86/config.log
* ERROR: sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1 failed:
* econf failed
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 56: Called src_compile
* environment, line 2688: Called econf
* ebuild.sh, line 558: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* die "econf failed"
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1'.
* If configure failed with a 'cannot run C compiled programs' error, try this:
* FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/temp/environment'.
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-2.3-r1/work/sandbox-2.3'

it is trying to make 686, but i have x86_64 and -sanbox in FEATURES.
i tried various things, including revdep rebuild, emerge --oneshot sandbox, etc. nothing helps
what i have to do? =( plz help

make.conf http://pastebin.com/hpUibYd7
config.log http://pastebin.com/e0FDtjXQ
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to emerge like this

Quote:
emerge --update --newuse --deep -av world

dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Compiler is messed up Reply with quote

can anyone help please...i did a system update and then did a emerge depclean and now my system can not compile anything:

desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the output of gcc-config -l and emerge --info.

Can you compile anything manually?

Merged the preceding post.
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiler is messed up Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
can anyone help please...i did a system update and then did a emerge depclean and now my system can not compile anything:

I found that apparently it had updated the C++ libraries and my paths (specifically in /etc/ld.so.conf), were now wrong. In order to fix it I had to:

1) edit /etc/ld.so.conf to fix the gcc-lib path (in my case it went from 3.2.3 to 3.3.3)

2) run "ldconfig" to set the proper library path

3) edit /etc/env.d/05gcc and change all the paths to the new version.

4) run env-update

If you don't do steps 1 and 2 you won't be able to run emerge again. If you don't do step 3, it will undo your changes from step 1 when you run emerge again.

You will find my post on exactly this error on page 9 of the thread.

This fixed it for me because depclean removes old versions of the GCC and leaves on the latest installed version.

Check the paths in the conf files remove older versions etc.see my full post on page 9 of the thread.
dante.paz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiler is messed up Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the C compiler, but I have just fix it. In my case I wasn't even able to compile a simple hello world code,
every time I was trying to compile I get:
Quote:

gcc hello.c -o h.x
cc1: error: /usr/local/include: Not a directory

Once I removed this strange file "/usr/local/include" everything runs smoothly again.

The same problem was reported here: http://old.nabble.com/C-compiler-cannot-create-executables-td19684365.html

I don't know why this happened, I was messing up whit some "non-portage" packages (cliser, utilio, DV, rnpl) perhaps some of them had broke my system.
Any way I let this here in case some one gets into the same problem.
scaramanga
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: C compiler cannot create executables Reply with quote

Hmmm........suddenly got this error today, when trying to run;
Code:
emerge --sync && emerge -uDav world

I get;
Code:

gcc-config -l
 * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4

and
Code:
 fix_libtool_files.sh 4.4
 * Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library paths...
cat: ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
gcc-config: error: could not run/locate 'gcc'
:0: assertion failed: (gcc -dumpversion) | getline NEWVER)

I get CFLAGS="" when configuring gcc when attepmting to reemmerge, and it fails with the erorr in subj. I have not made any changes to my system for months, and now I can't emerge anything.

I have tried
Code:
env-update && source /etc/profile

Any tips?

Edit; Here's my emerge --info;
Quote:
emerge --info
!!! No gcc found. You probably need to 'source /etc/profile'
!!! to update the environment of this terminal and possibly
!!! other terminals also.
Portage 2.1.9.25 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/kde, [unavailable], glibc-2.11.2-r3, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.32-gentoo-r7-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_4_CPU_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.1_p7
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.6.6-r1, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.14-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.4
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.4.4-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.10
sys-devel/make: 3.81-r2
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="dk da"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt css cups cxx dbus debug dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif extras fam ffmpeg firefox flac fortran gdbm gdu gif gimp gnutls gphoto2 gpm hal iconv inotify ipv6 java javascript jpeg kde kontact lastfm lcms ldap libextractor libnotify lm_sensors mad mikmod mng modules mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer msn mtp mudflap ncurses nls nntp nptl nptlonly nsplugin ogg openal opengl openmp oss pam pango pcre pdf perl png policykit ppds pppd python qt3support qt4 raw readline scanner sdl session smp spell sse sse2 ssl startup-notification static-libs svg svga sysfs szip taglib tcpd thumbnail tiff truetype udev unicode usb v4l v4l2 vorbis wavpack win32codecs wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xine xml xorg xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="dk da" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

tux stig # source /etc/profile
tux stig # emerge --info
!!! No gcc found. You probably need to 'source /etc/profile'
!!! to update the environment of this terminal and possibly
!!! other terminals also.
Portage 2.1.9.25 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/kde, [unavailable], glibc-2.11.2-r3, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.32-gentoo-r7-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_4_CPU_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.1_p7
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.6.6-r1, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.14-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.4
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.4.4-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.10
sys-devel/make: 3.81-r2
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="dk da"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt css cups cxx dbus debug dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif extras fam ffmpeg firefox flac fortran gdbm gdu gif gimp gnutls gphoto2 gpm hal iconv inotify ipv6 java javascript jpeg kde kontact lastfm lcms ldap libextractor libnotify lm_sensors mad mikmod mng modules mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer msn mtp mudflap ncurses nls nntp nptl nptlonly nsplugin ogg openal opengl openmp oss pam pango pcre pdf perl png policykit ppds pppd python qt3support qt4 raw readline scanner sdl session smp spell sse sse2 ssl startup-notification static-libs svg svga sysfs szip taglib tcpd thumbnail tiff truetype udev unicode usb v4l v4l2 vorbis wavpack win32codecs wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xine xml xorg xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="dk da" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Recompile gcc Reply with quote

Hey that look familiar

Re install GCC if it cant compile anything because the compiler is broke you could do two things.

Boot from a lveCD or minimal install mount everything and chroot in. Use the Gentoo handbook for this if you need reminding its the same chroot you used when you installed.

Then recompile re-emerge the gcc compiler, run revdup-rebuild etc and reboot see if that works to fix it. The idea here is to use the liveCD compiler to repair the systems compiler.

The profile points to the wrong thing or is corrupt somehow I dont think its your use flags or your make.conf settings.

I hit probs like this when i had old compilers on my system. Looks like you dont have that.

I would also check the library paths look back in the thread there is the correct library paths etc for gcc version

It really looks like something has been deleted particularly a previous version of gcc that it was linked to. Try find the broken directory link or file manually, this might be a pain so try the lvecd option. You could try while in the chroot to emerge -C gcc and then emerge -av gcc it might replace the missing files/links.
If it has gone like that i would also check your file-system and start looking into why, test your hard disks and backup data. that seems odd as things dont or should not automatically delete themselves
scaramanga
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for tips. I flipped out and wiped my / partition, in order to make a fresh Gentoo install.

When unpacking the kernel tarball on a freshly formatted partition, it dies with IO errors.......ie, time for a new harddrive.
lypsik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today mpfr-3.0.0_p3 was stabilized on amd64 and after running revdep-rebuild I deleted libmpfr.so.1. Of course when I tried upgrading bind-tools I got the "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables".
MPFR should really come with a big fat warning telling to recompile GCC before removing old .so or something.
Caligatio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lypsik wrote:
So today mpfr-3.0.0_p3 was stabilized on amd64 and after running revdep-rebuild I deleted libmpfr.so.1. Of course when I tried upgrading bind-tools I got the "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables".
MPFR should really come with a big fat warning telling to recompile GCC before removing old .so or something.

If you're looking to get your system back, try out my solution at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-868517.html
lypsik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then I can recompile GCC and after that remove the symlink?
BadSquishy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to C compiler cannot create executables Reply with quote

F1r31c3r wrote:
Thought i would pull this thread up to date this is a important addition as i broke my system doing a emerge --depclean

I had 3 compilers on my system version 3.x a 4.3x and current 4.4.x

So i am sure you can imagine -depclean removed 3.x and 4.3.x but left the directory listings in the 05gcc files.

BTW 05gcc file has on my system located as: "/etc/env.d/05gcc-i686-pc-linux-gnu" so anyone need assistance in finding the file cd into /etc/env.d and find which file ending there is by doing a "ls" in that directory. I would also advise on opening a second terminal(I was in X windows so multiple terminals were open) cd each gcc directory listed in the 05gcc file to double check they exist and contain files this is a good way of checking that gcc is installed and the version it points to exists.

Most important find i have found to fix this problem something not mentioned in Roberts post was after modifying all the directories in the files make sure you run:

Quote:
env-update

If you dont it wont take effect unless you reboot which i dont advise on a broken system rofl. so to conclude the perfect fix Thank You Robert:

Quote:

I found that apparently it had updated the C++ libraries and my paths (specifically in /etc/ld.so.conf), were now wrong. In order to fix it I had to:

1) edit /etc/ld.so.conf to fix the gcc-lib path (in my case it went from 3.2.3 to 3.3.3.

4) run env-update

If you don't do steps 1 and 2 you won't be able to run emerge again. If you don't do step 3, it will undo your changes from step 1 when you run emerge again.

Thanks again all and hope this helps someone. :P

Thanks for the detailed solution, this fixed my system after I broke it with emerge --depclean as well. Moral of the story is:
1: Pay more attention to the packages being removed by --depclean, especially where GCC is concerned
2: See rule #1

One possible way to prevent this (an untested suggestion I am making) is to use gcc-config to change your system to the latest profile before running emerge --depclean. Unfortunately I don't know if I will be able to test this easily, even though my system now works (meaning I can compile packages) I am still getting the following output from gcc-config
Code:
meerkat ~ # gcc-config -l
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5

If anyone else finds this thread before they bork their system, give it a try and let us know if it works, hey?
orange_juice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Compiler is messed up Reply with quote

F1r31c3r wrote:

1) edit /etc/ld.so.conf to fix the gcc-lib path (in my case it went from 3.2.3 to 3.3.3)

4) run env-update

If you don't do steps 1 and 2 you won't be able to run emerge again. If you don't do step 3, it will undo your

Thanx! In my case it was actually the "ldconfig" that fixed the problem.

Kind regards,
orange_juice
hairyDonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neiras wrote:
This is usually caused by doing an emerge world that includes a gcc upgrade. What happens is, the new gcc is compiled, but the ebuild fails to switch your system to the new compiler. Before trying any of the solutions above, try doing:

Code:
# gcc-config

You should be presented with a list of GCC versions that are available on your machine. Each version has a number next to it. Find the latest version of gcc's number, (for example, 1), and type:

Code:
# gcc-config 1

...to switch to the new compiler. Then,

Code:

# source /etc/profile

... and continue emerging or whatever you were doing.

had the same problem, gcc explicitly instructed what to do, even for the GCC_SPECS bug... the active gcc profile was invalid, don't know how that happened though...

Code:
localhost # gcc-config -l

[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2
localhost # gcc-config 1
 * Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2 ...

* Your gcc has a bug with GCC_SPECS.
 * Please re-emerge gcc.
 * http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...                                      [ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
 * running shell, please remember to do:

*   # source /etc/profile

localhost #
onevision
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: *flare* Reply with quote

I'll admit I haven't read this whole thread, but a good chunk of it. I've had my Gentoo installation working fine for months, since my last major wipe and reinstall almost a year ago. During one of the world updates, something must have happened to my gcc, but I can't find any problems. I also haven't changed any settings.

# gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.5 *

vi /etc/ld.so.conf
-- relevant lines --
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/32

# binutils-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.20.1 *

vi /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

I tried running the following, while guessing the previous GCC version (I'm currently on 4.4.5, which should be the recommended stable version), but it had no effect
fix_libtool_files.sh 4.4.4

I tried exporting the value for CFLAGS (as defined in the make.conf), but that had no effect. Also there was no value set for GCC_SPEC. I did make sure to run: env-update && source /etc/profile as well as have tried revdep-rebuild. The revdep-rebuild fails because it finds packages that need to be upgraded or installed and fails to compile them.

Can't compile or install anything. Here the output when just trying to emerge gcc

# emerge -Dv gcc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5 USE="fortran gcj gtk mudflap (multilib) nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -graphite (-hardened) (-libffi) -multislot -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla (-n32%) (-n64%)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
* gcc-4.4.5.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* gcc-4.4.5-uclibc-patches-1.0.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* gcc-4.4.5-patches-1.3.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* gcc-4.4.5-piepatches-v0.4.5.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* gcc-4.4.3-specs-0.2.0.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* ecj-4.3.jar RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* Package: sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
* Repository: gentoo
* Maintainer: toolchain@gentoo.org
* USE: amd64 elibc_glibc fortran gcj gtk kernel_linux mudflap multilib nls nptl openmp userland_GNU
* FEATURES: ccache sandbox
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.4.5.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.4.5-patches-1.3.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.4.5-uclibc-patches-1.0.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.4.5-piepatches-v0.4.5.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work
>>> Unpacking gcc-4.4.3-specs-0.2.0.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work
* Applying Gentoo patches ...
* 00_all_gcc-4.1-alpha-mieee-default.patch ... [ ok ]
* 00_all_gcc-trampolinewarn.patch ... [ ok ]
* 01_all_gcc-4.1-alpha-asm-mcpu.patch ... [ ok ]
* 02_all_gcc-4.4-libgcj-as-needed-PR38298.patch ... [ ok ]
* 03_all_gcc43-java-nomulti.patch ... [ ok ]
* 05_all_gcc44-pr46173-all-tree.patch ... [ ok ]
* 08_all_gcc-4.1-cross-compile.patch ... [ ok ]
* 10_all_gcc-default-format-security.patch ... [ ok ]
* 10_all_gcc-default-fortify-source.patch ... [ ok ]
* 11_all_gcc-netbsd-symbolic.patch ... [ ok ]
* 14_all_gcc-sparc64-bsd.patch ... [ ok ]
* 15_all_gcc-libgomp-no-werror.patch ... [ ok ]
* 16_all_gcc-sparc-fbsd-c++-exceptions.patch ... [ ok ]
* 18_all_904-flatten-switch-stmt-00.patch ... [ ok ]
* 20_all_mudflap-setuid-env.patch ... [ ok ]
* 30_all_gcc-4.4-ppc-msingle-pic-base.patch ... [ ok ]
* 31_all_gcc-4.4-ppc-fpic-mrelocatable.patch ... [ ok ]
* 40_all_gcc-4.4-libiberty.h-asprintf.patch ... [ ok ]
* 41_all_4.4.5-msabi.patch ... [ ok ]
* 47_all_arm-unbreak-armv4t.patch ... [ ok ]
* 51_all_gcc-3.4-libiberty-pic.patch ... [ ok ]
* 53_all_gcc4-superh-default-multilib.patch ... [ ok ]
* 60_all_4.4.5_hppa-wrong-code.patch ... [ ok ]
* 61_all_gcc4-ia64-noteGNUstack.patch ... [ ok ]
* 62_all_gcc-4.4-ia64-pr43603.patch ... [ ok ]
* 73_all_sh-libgcc-stacks.patch ... [ ok ]
* 74_all_sh-pr24836.patch ... [ ok ]
* 90_all_gcc-freebsd.patch ... [ ok ]
* 91_all_gcc-freebsd.patch ... [ ok ]
* 93_all_gcc-4.4-cloog-dl.patch ... [ ok ]
* 96_all_arm-pr43440.patch ... [ ok ]
* Done with patching
* Applying uClibc patches ...
* 90_all_100-uclibc-conf.patch ... [ ok ]
* 90_all_301-missing-execinfo_h.patch ... [ ok ]
* 90_all_302-c99-snprintf.patch ... [ ok ]
* 90_all_305-libmudflap-susv3-legacy.patch ... [ ok ]
* Done with patching
* Applying pie patches ...
* 10_all_gcc444_configure.patch ... [ ok ]
* 11_all_gcc44_config.in.patch ... [ ok ]
* 12_all_gcc44_Makefile.in.patch ... [ ok ]
* 20_all_gcc44_gcc.c.patch ... [ ok ]
* 21_all_gcc44_decl-tls-model.patch ... [ ok ]
* 30_all_gcc44_esp.h.patch ... [ ok ]
* 33_all_gcc44_config_rs6000_linux64.h.patch ... [ ok ]
* 35_all_gcc44_config_crtbegints.patch ... [ ok ]
* 40_all_gcc44_cp_lang-specs.h.patch ... [ ok ]
* 41_all_gcc44_objc_lang-specs.h.patch ... [ ok ]
* 42_all_gcc44_objcp_lang-specs.h.patch ... [ ok ]
* 60_all_gcc44_invoke.texi.patch ... [ ok ]
* Done with patching
* updating multilib directories to be: ../lib64 ../lib32
* Copying ecj-4.3.jar
* Running elibtoolize in: gcc-4.4.5/
* Applying install-sh-1.5.4.patch ...
* Applying portage-2.2.patch ...
* Applying sed-1.5.6.patch ...
* Applying as-needed-2.2.6.patch ...
* Using GNU config files from /usr/share/gnuconfig
* Updating libjava/classpath/config.sub [ ok ]
* Updating libjava/libltdl/config.sub [ ok ]
* Updating config.sub [ ok ]
* Updating libjava/classpath/config.guess [ ok ]
* Updating libjava/libltdl/config.guess [ ok ]
* Updating config.guess [ ok ]
* Fixing misc issues in configure files
* Applying gcc-configure-texinfo.patch ... [ ok ]
* Touching generated files
* Touching gcc/cstamp-h.in
* Touching gcc/config.in
* Touching libjava/aclocal.m4
* Touching libjava/Makefile.in
* Touching libjava/configure
* Applying gcc-spec-env.patch ... [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/gcc-4.4.5 ...
* CFLAGS=""
* CXXFLAGS=""
* Configuring gcc ...
* running gcc-compiler-configure
* configuring for GCC_LANG: c,c++,java,fortran

* PREFIX: /usr
* BINPATH: /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5
* LIBPATH: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5
* DATAPATH: /usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5
* STDCXX_INCDIR: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include/g++-v4

* Configuring GCC with:
* --prefix=/usr
* --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5
* --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include
* --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5
* --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/man
* --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/info
* --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include/g++-v4
* --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
* --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
* --disable-altivec
* --disable-fixed-point
* --without-ppl
* --without-cloog
* --enable-nls
* --without-included-gettext
* --with-system-zlib
* --disable-werror
* --enable-secureplt
* --enable-multilib
* --enable-libmudflap
* --disable-libssp
* --enable-libgomp
* --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/python
* --enable-checking=release
* --enable-java-awt=gtk
* --enable-languages=c,c++,java,fortran
* --enable-shared
* --enable-threads=posix
* --enable-__cxa_atexit
* --enable-clocale=gnu
* --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/
* --with-pkgversion=Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.3, pie-0.4.5

/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/gcc-4.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include/g++-v4 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --without-ppl --without-cloog --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-werror --enable-secureplt --enable-multilib --enable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-libgomp --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/python --enable-checking=release --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-languages=c,c++,java,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion=Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.3, pie-0.4.5
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/build':
See `config.log' for more details.
* ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5 failed (compile phase):
* failed to run configure
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 56: Called src_compile
* environment, line 4893: Called toolchain_src_compile
* environment, line 5490: Called gcc_src_compile
* environment, line 3099: Called gcc_do_configure
* environment, line 2831: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* "${S}"/configure "$@" || die "failed to run configure";
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5'.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/temp/environment'.
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/gcc-4.4.5'

And here is the config.log output:

$ /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/gcc-4.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include/g++-v4 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --without-ppl --without-cloog --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-werror --enable-secureplt --enable-multilib --enable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-libgomp --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/python --enable-checking=release --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-languages=c,c++,java,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion=Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.3, pie-0.4.5

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = davinci
uname -m = x86_64
uname -r = 2.6.39-gentoo-r3
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #2 SMP Thu Jul 21 19:10:15 MDT 2011

/usr/bin/uname -p = AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
/bin/uname -X = unknown

/bin/arch = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
hostinfo = unknown
/bin/machine = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel = unknown
/bin/universe = unknown

PATH: /usr/lib64/ccache/bin
PATH: /usr/lib64/portage/bin/ebuild-helpers
PATH: /usr/local/sbin
PATH: /usr/local/bin
PATH: /usr/sbin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /sbin
PATH: /bin
PATH: /opt/bin
PATH: /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:1568: checking build system type
configure:1586: result: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
configure:1621: checking host system type
configure:1635: result: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
configure:1643: checking target system type
configure:1657: result: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
configure:1701: checking for a BSD-compatible install
configure:1767: result: /usr/bin/install -c
configure:1778: checking whether ln works
configure:1800: result: yes
configure:1804: checking whether ln -s works
configure:1808: result: yes
configure:2988: checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
configure:3004: found /usr/lib64/ccache/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
configure:3014: result: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
configure:3298: checking for C compiler version
configure:3301: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --version </dev/null >&5
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.2, pie-0.4.5) 4.4.5
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

configure:3304: $? = 0
configure:3306: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/gcc-4.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include/g++-v4 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --without-ppl --without-cloog --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-werror --enable-secureplt --enable-multilib --enable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-libgomp --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/python --enable-checking=release --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-languages=c,c++,java,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion='Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.2, pie-0.4.5'
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.5 (Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.2, pie-0.4.5)
configure:3309: $? = 0
configure:3311: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -V </dev/null >&5
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:3314: $? = 1
configure:3337: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:3340: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed conftest.c >&5
/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
configure:3343: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h. */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| ;
| return 0;
| }
configure:3381: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/build':
configure:3384: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_env_AR_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_AR_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_AR_set=
ac_cv_env_AR_value=
ac_cv_env_AS_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_AS_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_AS_set=
ac_cv_env_AS_value=
ac_cv_env_CC_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_CC_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_CC_set=
ac_cv_env_CC_value=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CXXFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_CXXFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CXX_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_CXX_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_CXX_set=
ac_cv_env_CXX_value=
ac_cv_env_DLLTOOL_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_DLLTOOL_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_DLLTOOL_set=
ac_cv_env_DLLTOOL_value=
ac_cv_env_GCC_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_GCC_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_GCJ_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_GCJ_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_GFORTRAN_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_GFORTRAN_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value='-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed'
ac_cv_env_LD_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_LD_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_LD_set=
ac_cv_env_LD_value=
ac_cv_env_LIPO_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_LIPO_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_LIPO_set=
ac_cv_env_LIPO_value=
ac_cv_env_NM_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_NM_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_NM_set=
ac_cv_env_NM_value=
ac_cv_env_OBJCOPY_set=
ac_cv_env_OBJCOPY_value=
ac_cv_env_OBJDUMP_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_OBJDUMP_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_OBJDUMP_set=
ac_cv_env_OBJDUMP_value=
ac_cv_env_RANLIB_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_RANLIB_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_RANLIB_set=
ac_cv_env_RANLIB_value=
ac_cv_env_STRIP_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_STRIP_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_STRIP_set=
ac_cv_env_STRIP_value=
ac_cv_env_WINDMC_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_WINDMC_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_WINDMC_set=
ac_cv_env_WINDMC_value=
ac_cv_env_WINDRES_FOR_TARGET_set=
ac_cv_env_WINDRES_FOR_TARGET_value=
ac_cv_env_WINDRES_set=
ac_cv_env_WINDRES_value=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_set=set
ac_cv_env_build_alias_value=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_env_host_alias_set=set
ac_cv_env_host_alias_value=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_env_target_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_value=
ac_cv_host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_path_install='/usr/bin/install -c'
ac_cv_prog_CC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
ac_cv_target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
ac_cv_target_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
acx_cv_prog_LN=ln
gcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp=yes
## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##

AR=''
AR_FOR_BUILD='$(AR)'
AR_FOR_TARGET=''
AS=''
AS_FOR_BUILD='$(AS)'
AS_FOR_TARGET=''
BISON=''
CC='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc'
CC_FOR_BUILD='$(CC)'
CC_FOR_TARGET=''
CFLAGS=''
CFLAGS_FOR_BUILD=''
CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=''
COMPILER_AS_FOR_TARGET=''
COMPILER_LD_FOR_TARGET=''
COMPILER_NM_FOR_TARGET=''
CONFIGURE_GDB_TK=''
CPPFLAGS=''
CXX=''
CXXFLAGS=''
CXXFLAGS_FOR_BUILD=''
CXXFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=''
CXX_FOR_BUILD='$(CXX)'
CXX_FOR_TARGET=''
DEBUG_PREFIX_CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=''
DEFS=''
DLLTOOL=''
DLLTOOL_FOR_BUILD='$(DLLTOOL)'
DLLTOOL_FOR_TARGET=''
ECHO_C=''
ECHO_N='-n'
ECHO_T=''
EXEEXT=''
EXPECT=''
FLAGS_FOR_TARGET=''
FLEX=''
GCC_FOR_TARGET=''
GCC_SHLIB_SUBDIR=''
GCJ_FOR_BUILD='$(GCJ)'
GCJ_FOR_TARGET=''
GDB_TK=''
GFORTRAN_FOR_BUILD='$(GFORTRAN)'
GFORTRAN_FOR_TARGET=''
GNATBIND=''
GNATMAKE=''
INSTALL_DATA='${INSTALL} -m 644'
INSTALL_GDB_TK=''
INSTALL_PROGRAM='${INSTALL}'
INSTALL_SCRIPT='${INSTALL}'
LD=''
LDFLAGS='-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed'
LDFLAGS_FOR_BUILD=''
LD_FOR_BUILD='$(LD)'
LD_FOR_TARGET=''
LEX=''
LIBOBJS=''
LIBS=''
LIPO=''
LIPO_FOR_TARGET=''
LN='ln'
LN_S='ln -s'
LTLIBOBJS=''
M4=''
MAINT=''
MAINTAINER_MODE_FALSE=''
MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE=''
MAKEINFO=''
NM=''
NM_FOR_BUILD='$(NM)'
NM_FOR_TARGET=''
OBJCOPY=''
OBJDUMP=''
OBJDUMP_FOR_TARGET=''
OBJEXT=''
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT=''
PACKAGE_NAME=''
PACKAGE_STRING=''
PACKAGE_TARNAME=''
PACKAGE_VERSION=''
PATH_SEPARATOR=':'
RANLIB=''
RANLIB_FOR_BUILD='$(RANLIB)'
RANLIB_FOR_TARGET=''
RAW_CXX_FOR_TARGET=''
RPATH_ENVVAR=''
RUNTEST=''
SHELL='/bin/sh'
STRIP=''
STRIP_FOR_TARGET=''
SYSROOT_CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=''
TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS='/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/gcc-4.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include/g++-v4 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --without-ppl --without-cloog --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-werror --enable-secureplt --enable-multilib --enable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-libgomp --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/python --enable-checking=release --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-languages=c,c++,java,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --with-bugurl=https://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion='Gentoo 4.4.5 p1.3, pie-0.4.5''
WINDMC=''
WINDMC_FOR_BUILD='$(WINDMC)'
WINDMC_FOR_TARGET=''
WINDRES=''
WINDRES_FOR_BUILD='$(WINDRES)'
WINDRES_FOR_TARGET=''
YACC=''
ac_ct_CC=''
ac_ct_CXX=''
ac_ct_GNATBIND=''
ac_ct_GNATMAKE=''
bindir='/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.4.5'
build='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
build_alias='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
build_configargs=''
build_configdirs='build-libiberty build-texinfo build-byacc build-flex build-bison build-m4 build-fixincludes'
build_cpu='x86_64'
build_libsubdir='build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
build_noncanonical='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
build_os='linux-gnu'
build_subdir='build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
build_tooldir=''
build_vendor='pc'
clooginc=''
clooglibs=''
config_shell='/bin/sh'
configdirs='intl mmalloc libiberty opcodes bfd readline tcl tk itcl libgui zlib libcpp libdecnumber gmp mpfr ppl cloog libiconv texinfo byacc flex bison binutils gas ld fixincludes gcc sid sim gdb make patch prms send-pr gprof etc expect dejagnu ash bash bzip2 m4 autoconf automake libtool diff rcs fileutils shellutils time textutils wdiff find uudecode hello tar gzip indent recode release sed utils guile perl gawk findutils gettext zip fastjar gnattools'
datadir='/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5'
datarootdir=''
do_compare=''
docdir=''
enable_esp=''
exec_prefix='NONE'
extra_mpfr_configure_flags=''
gmpinc=''
gmplibs=''
host='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
host_alias='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
host_configargs=''
host_cpu='x86_64'
host_noncanonical='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
host_os='linux-gnu'
host_subdir='.'
host_vendor='pc'
htmldir=''
includedir='/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/include'
infodir='/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/info'
libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec'
localstatedir='${prefix}/var'
mandir='/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/man'
oldincludedir='/usr/include'
pdfdir=''
pplinc=''
ppllibs=''
prefix='/usr'
program_transform_name='s,y,y,'
sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin'
sharedstatedir='${prefix}/com'
stage1_cflags=''
stage1_checking=''
stage1_languages=''
stage2_werror_flag=''
sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc'
target='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
target_alias=''
target_configargs=''
target_cpu='x86_64'
target_noncanonical='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
target_os='linux-gnu'
target_subdir='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
target_vendor='pc'
tooldir=''

## ------------- ##
## Output files. ##
## ------------- ##

alphaieee_frag=''
host_makefile_frag='/dev/null'
ospace_frag=''
serialization_dependencies=''
target_makefile_frag=''

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""

configure: exit 77

Someone care to chuck a dog a bone and give me any ideas? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

-Davey
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing you can really do there as your gcc is dead
you must grab and install the <gmp> package from tinderbox to make your gcc functional again

It's something easy to repair with revdep-rebuild, except that revdep-rebuild need gcc :)

if you want the dirty manual manner, look for /usr/lib/engines/libgmp.so as it have a version too when you have openssl install (as nearly everyone have it)
for me it's /usr/lib/engines/libgmp.so for openssl version
and the good one should be in /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/lib/engines/libgmp.so /usr/lib/libgmp.so
watch out for pathname as x86 & amd64 could have different pathname
ps: if your gcc work, emerge -1 gmp at first to restore the real good gmp verison

as usual, toolchain is critical, and its depencies too so, --buildpkg is a good option if you wish get out of these kind of problems
onevision
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Rats! Reply with quote

Yeah, I was afraid that you were going to say something like that, although I do appreciate the information. Not quite sure how things got to this state, but if I tried to restore it, I'd need the exact same updated gcc, so even doing a tricky slight of hand trick pulling files and whatnot from a stage probably wouldn't work. Oh well, what do you do but reinstall it. It's just that backup is going to be tricky, with that install having a 1.3 TB 4 disk raid. *sigh* 8-) Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: