View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonic Lux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i set for example "min_fsb=133" with non module version (hard into kernel) ?

How

thx
odborg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see that the windows utility that you've developed supports vcore changes(testing) on asus a7n8x. Are you planing to support it on linux as well?
woZa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work hasw... 8)

Been using 8rdavcore for ages on my windows install and the fsb module on linux. Good to see you got the vcore adjustments working too.

Just for the record my 8rda+ (rev 1.1) will go down to at least 110Mhz fsb (not tested lower as cpu will run 12.5*112@1.1v) and up to 199*12.5@1.75v (chipset voltage only 1.56v and not adjustable).

Going to give cpudyn a go to see if I can get some sort of cpu usage dependant raising and lowering...
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinidog: Does the CPU core voltage changing also work?

Passing driver options via the kernel command line should work like with other driver options (haven't tested this yet). Try adding min_fsb=133.

Support for the A7N8X series is on the way. I'm writing a module which supports the nVidia SMI bios interface (as used by their system utility). This allows monitoring temperatures and changing voltages.
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I got hold of an AN35N mainboard and min_fsb=60 seems to work. Let's see if prime95 goes along with it ;)
But after loading i2c-nforce2 and atxp1 the cpu core voltage is 1,075V (I didn't change it yet):

cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/2-0037/cpu_vid

cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/2-0037/name
atxp1

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 663.100
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse pni syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 1308.25

Why is it 1,075V? It should be around 1,6V instead...
Changing it with "echo" doesn't seem to have any effect (it stays 1075).

mic
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torture Test ran 2 hours, 1 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings. So far so good.
But I think for atxp1 to work I need a real monitoring device which I seem not to be able to find. sensors-detect seems to fail. It suggests the it87 module but the ITE chip doesn't seem to deliver anything. Mmh, I gotta play around a bit ;)

Laters
mic
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hasw!

The only sensor chip that seems to work is it87. I get this:

cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/in{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8}_input

So it seems that /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/in0_input delivers th VCore which should be around 1,6V. Why doesn't the atxp1 modules recognize it as such? How can I tell it to use /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/in0_input?

Thanks!

mic
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ATXP1 does not use any sensors to get the CPU core voltage (it does not measure it!).

There are two things possible:
1. Have you set the CPU core voltage in the BIOS to "Default" or "Automatic"? If yes, try set it manually to 1.6V.

2. There's no ATXP1 and the module "misdetected" no/another device (ATXP2,3,5). There will be an update in the next time to avoid this. It would be nice if you can check if a ATXP1 chip is on your board (mostly between/near CPU and DIMM sockets).
kostian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the howto.
scaling fsb and cpudyn work fine here. can't change core volatge though. well its a cheap piece of crap biostar m7ncd after all :twisted:
P.S. if anyone finds out how to stop /sys permissions from resetting let me know :wink:
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasw wrote:
The ATXP1 does not use any sensors to get the CPU core voltage (it does not measure it!).

There are two things possible:
1. Have you set the CPU core voltage in the BIOS to "Default" or "Automatic"? If yes, try set it manually to 1.6V.

2. There's no ATXP1 and the module "misdetected" no/another device (ATXP2,3,5). There will be an update in the next time to avoid this. It would be nice if you can check if a ATXP1 chip is on your board (mostly between/near CPU and DIMM sockets).

Hello Hasw!

Regarding 1.: It was set to auto. So that may have been the problem.

Regarding 2.: I can take a look at the mainboard very easily because I already removed it from the box. ;) It has an ATXP1. My other mainboard, an A7N8X-X has an ATXP2 btw.
I removed the board because there were some hassles:

* Even though prime95 ran 2 hours without any errors the box hangs eventually with cpufreq-nforce2.
* The board doesn't operate fully without a graphic card (it's a TV box with a DVB card which has a TV out).

Laters

mic

Edit: I'll test atxp1 again when I get an answer from the Taiwan Shuttle Support. I will put the mainboard back in place if they figure out the graphic card problem.

Last edited by micmac on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micmac wrote:

Regarding 2.: I can take a look at the mainboard very easily because I already removed it from the box. ;) It has an ATXP1. My other mainboard, an A7N8X-X has an ATXP2 btw.

* Even though prime95 ran 2 hours without any errors the box hangs eventually with cpufreq-nforce2.

mic

So does it work now?

The ATXP2 is the same as the ATXP1 but without VID control (the Asus boards using another voltage control mechanism).

I know this "hang-after-a-while-problem". Add 5-10MHz FSB (lower limit) / 25-25mV CPU voltage (lower limit), this should help.
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasw wrote:
micmac wrote:

mic

So does it work now?

The ATXP2 is the same as the ATXP1 but without VID control (the Asus boards using another voltage control mechanism).

I know this "hang-after-a-while-problem". Add 5-10MHz FSB (lower limit) / 25-25mV CPU voltage (lower limit), this should help.

Hi Hasw!

Actually it works now. Loading the it87 and setting the VCore Voltage manually in the BIOS setup is necessary. The CPU fan often goes off :)

Thanks!

mic
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all!

It now runs very well here. I set min_fsb to 70, my lowest frequency is around 770MHz. At this speed the voltage can be 1.1V. After a few minutes from normal settings to these my cooler block under the fan feels colder than room temperature. It's awesome.

What would be a proper approach to doing the changes dynamically by any kind of daemon? I think there wouldn't have to be thousands of different policies because all this happens on a desktop system. So if we need power we should get it and if not than everything could be dropped to minimum power.

Would changing an existing cpufreq daemon be proper approach? Or would it be easier to write a rather small new one?

The speedfreq daemon checks /proc/uptime every now and then to see if a decrease/increase is necessary. Sounds charming to me. With cpufreq-nforce we don't get scaling_available_frequencies in /sys, so we would need our own table including voltages.

Best regards

micmac :D
Jinidog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not able to check wether the Elitegroup N2U400 supports changing the Vcore.
I'm not able to find the "Attansic ATXP1 VID controller " in my kernel-config.

Anyway, I've another problem.
When I try to increase the frequency above the FSB that is set in the BIOS, my system crashs.
Okay, I can avoid this ;)

But I tried speedfreqd and it's reducing the CPU-frequency correctly when idle, but when I run glxgears and speedfreqd tries to increase the CPU-frequency, my system crashs after a few seconds.
What can I do?
How can I tell speedfreqd, not to increase the frequency too much above the allowed speed?
CMDR_PAIN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kostian wrote:
Thanks for the howto.
scaling fsb and cpudyn work fine here. can't change core volatge though. well its a cheap piece of crap biostar m7ncd after all :twisted:
P.S. if anyone finds out how to stop /sys permissions from resetting let me know :wink:

I`ve just added a group "wentyle" (eng would be "fans") and wrote a line to my rc.local (Slackware has BSD style init):
chown -R root.wentyle /sys
chmod -R 770 /sys
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinidog wrote:

I'm not able to find the "Attansic ATXP1 VID controller " in my kernel-config.

Anyway, I've another problem.
When I try to increase the frequency above the FSB that is set in the BIOS, my system crashs.
Okay, I can avoid this ;)

But I tried speedfreqd and it's reducing the CPU-frequency correctly when idle, but when I run glxgears and speedfreqd tries to increase the CPU-frequency, my system crashs after a few seconds.
What can I do?
How can I tell speedfreqd, not to increase the frequency too much above the allowed speed?

You have to apply a patch to get the atxp1 kernel module (http://www.hasw.net/linux/atxp1-0.3.tar.bz2).

How do you increase the FSB above the FSB set in BIOS? Max. FSB is set to FSB at boot time. It seems something is going wrong here...
Is dmesg showing the correct FSB at loading? Something like
Code:

cpufreq: FSB currently at 200 MHz, FID 9.5

Which lower limit have you set and what's your max. FSB?
weingbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Howto: Dynamic CPU speed with Athlon XP and nForce2 boar Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread but I have 2 questions which haven't been asked.

Hasw wrote:
Dynamic CPU speed with Athlon XP and nForce2 boards

On this boards VCore changing is supported (more are possible):

Abit NF7
    Aopen AK79D-400VN
    Chaintech CT-7NJ(S,L1)
    DFI Infinity NFII Ultra
    DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra
    Epox 8RDA+
    Epox 8(R,G)DA(3,6,+,I,E)
    Leadtek K7NCR-18D
    Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1
    Shuttle SN45G (not V3)
    Soltek 75FRN2-L
    Soltek NV400-L64

Do you have a list of possible ranges with different motherboards? I'm thinking of buying a EPoX EP-8RDA3I Pro. Is that supported or only the non-pro version? Do you know if this works on an ABIT AN-7?

I'm a bit confused on the one hand you write:

Hasw wrote:
Frequency changing is done via FSB control. This works good because the PCI/AGP-clock is controlled independently. RAM/FSB are synchronized. Mostly the RAM is the limiting factor.

Some maybe think why not change the FID (multiplier) like the Athlon Mobile (there are L-bridge mods to change a XP to a Mobile [1]). With some chipsets this is possible and there
are patches for powernow-k7 to work on desktop boards. Unfortunately I've not heard yet that this works with the nForce2 chipset.

And then a few paragraphs later you show how to change the FID:

Hasw wrote:
The FID can be set with:
Code:

root@hasw cpufreq # modprobe cpufreq-nforce2 fid=95

for a 9.5 multiplier.

Which is it can you change the FID on the fly or not?

Thanks for your help
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know it works on all 8RDA/8RGA boards. The voltage range is usually 1.1V-1.85V (I'm working on > 1.85V for some boards).

The Abit AN-7 is not supported because it uses the Abit uGuru microcontroller and they don't want to help me with information about programming this thing.

The module option does not set the FID. You can use it if your FID is wrongly detected (it's calculated at module startup by current freq/FSB). If you have lowered the FSB, unloaded the module and reload it, it detects the wrong FID.
weingbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasw wrote:
As far as I know it works on all 8RDA/8RGA boards. The voltage range is usually 1.1V-1.85V (I'm working on > 1.85V for some boards).

And can you set the FSB dynamically from 100-200Mhz? Because in the thread I read that on some boards you can only use the boot FSB as max FSB and can only go 50Mhz lower.

Hasw wrote:

The Abit AN-7 is not supported because it uses the Abit uGuru microcontroller and they don't want to help me with information about programming this thing.

Well then they've lost one possible customer. Have you asked and they said no?

Hasw wrote:

The module option does not set the FID. You can use it if your FID is wrongly detected (it's calculated at module startup by current freq/FSB). If you have lowered the FSB, unloaded the module and reload it, it detects the wrong FID.

Ah so it's only for correction of the detection. Do you know on which boards/chipsets you can set the FID?

Thanks for your help
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The available FSB range depends on the used RAM modules/timings. Boot-FSB - 50 MHz should work on all boards, some can go lower (best results Shuttle AN35N 60-230).

Asked two times, told them why, but they've said clearly no.

It should work on the most Via, SiS and AMD chipsets for XP CPUs, see http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm for a list.
weingbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasw wrote:
It should work on the most Via, SiS and AMD chipsets for XP CPUs, see http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm for a list.

But only in windows :(
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there are patches for the cpufreq powernow-k7 module to support mobile CPUs in desktop boards. Check the cpufreq mailing list for more (search for "[PATCH] Another powernow-k7 patch for Desktop XP-M usage").
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I ran the cpufreq/atxp1 setup for quite some time now, but sometimes the computer would just hang after increasing voltage/frequency, even if I did it incrementally. Another downside was that I had to boot with a rescue disc to fix my filesystems after these hangs.
Would this be avoidable with a real mobile CPU? Or would this method not even work with a CPU like this?

Thanks

micmac
phranzee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible to change the multiplier?
Hasw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

micmac wrote:
Hello!

I ran the cpufreq/atxp1 setup for quite some time now, but sometimes the computer would just hang after increasing voltage/frequency, even if I did it incrementally. Another downside was that I had to boot with a rescue disc to fix my filesystems after these hangs.
Would this be avoidable with a real mobile CPU? Or would this method not even work with a CPU like this?

Thanks

micmac

Try to decrease your FSB range and increase your lowest core voltage a little bit, what are your current used values? If you are testing the available FSB/core voltage range, you should stop all uneeded programs and services to avoid data loss. Or compile/load the modules using a LiveCD like Knoppix. These two modules doesn't difference between a mobile or a normal CPU, but a mobile CPU will mostly run with a lower voltage.

phranzee wrote:

is it possible to change the multiplier?

I've not heard yet that it's possible on nForce2 boards, however for other chipset it works. Check my last message.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: