View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox: This is a different driver than the standard one; it's newer with extra features (currently being merged into main).

racoontje: nitro-sources is not meant to be better or worse than any other kernel. The point of it is to give users a (mostly) working patchset with patches that they want that do not necessarily exist together within the official gentoo kernels. If you like ikke's patches better than nitro's, than ikke is better. If you don't, then nitro is better. That's all there is to it.

That being said, ikke-sources is meant to be mm-based, whereas nitro-sources is strictly ck-based (possibly including some fixes from mm where applicable). If you like mm (love-sources was mm-based), you'll probably like ikke.

As a side note, ikke-sources are meant to be a stable alternative to those offered in portage. nitro-sources offers no guarantee of stability. For that reason, nitro may contain more recent and developmental patches than ikke.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by discomfitor on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's still having trouble getting the ebuild & patch from the initial link, & if you have a giFT client you can use, i've just added the ones i downloaded to my shared path (FastTrack & OpenFT only)...

If this is a bad thing, let me know & i'll take 'em out again. :D
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kowal wrote:
I'm unable to resolve your domain name. dnsstuff.com resolved it to 83.223.98.63 which stil doesn't work as below
Quote:
--17:54:38-- http://83.223.98.63/nitro/ebuilds/nitro-sources-2.6.10-r2.ebuild
=> `nitro-sources-2.6.10-r2.ebuild'
Connecting to 83.223.98.63:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
17:54:41 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I don't quite understand why people are having a problem clicking a url link.

No one is aksing anyone to resolve ip numbers or browse directories.

It's quite simple:

Click here for the ebuild and
click here for the patch.

If ayone is having problem with clicking the link, could they let me know (so far, 2091 people have managed ok).

edit: apologies if this seems slightly rude, but why someone needs to resolve a link with dnsstuff.com is beyond me :P
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post the ebuild here

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

UNIPATCH_LIST="${DISTDIR}/patch-${KV}.bz2"
K_PREPATCHED="yes"
UNIPATCH_STRICTORDER="yes"

K_NOSETEXTRAVERSION="yes"
K_NOUSENAME="yes"
ETYPE="sources"
inherit kernel-2
detect_version
IUSE=""

DESCRIPTION="Full sources for the Stock Linux kernel and some various patches to improve desktop performance and experience"
HOMEPAGE="http://sepi.be/nitro.php"
SRC_URI="${KERNEL_URI} http://pickledonion.net/nitro/patches/patch-${KV}.bz2"

KEYWORDS="~x86 ~amd64"

pkg_postinst() {
   postinst_sources

ewarn "IMPORTANT:"
   ewarn "This is a experimental kernel version, I'm not responsible for breaking your system"
   ewarn "ALWAYS keep a second stable and bootable kernel apart in your boot manager"
   echo
   ewarn "Now compile this beauty, reboot, and fasten your seatbelts to experience the fastest desktop you've ever seen!"
   echo
}

its not that long
kowal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PickledOnion wrote:
kowal wrote:
I'm unable to resolve your domain name. dnsstuff.com resolved it to 83.223.98.63 which stil doesn't work as below
Quote:
--17:54:38-- http://83.223.98.63/nitro/ebuilds/nitro-sources-2.6.10-r2.ebuild
=> `nitro-sources-2.6.10-r2.ebuild'
Connecting to 83.223.98.63:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
17:54:41 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I don't quite understand why people are having a problem clicking a url link.

No one is aksing anyone to resolve ip numbers or browse directories.

It's quite simple:

Click here for the ebuild and
click here for the patch.

If ayone is having problem with clicking the link, could they let me know (so far, 2091 people have managed ok).

edit: apologies if this seems slightly rude, but why someone needs to resolve a link with dnsstuff.com is beyond me :P

Something is not right with my ISP, it's unable to resolve your domain name. I managed to access your site thru an outside proxy. :-)
r@mbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my frame buffer messes up saying it has to be a multiple of 4 with mtrr or something - I can't really tell..
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kowal wrote:
Something is not right with my ISP, it's unable to resolve your domain name. I managed to access your site thru an outside proxy. :-)

At least you have it now.

I'll look into why you might not have been able to get to the site (I really would like to let everyone get the patch and ebuild!). Seems odd but it may be something my end. Slightly off topic and feel free to send me a pm to save hijacking the thread, but can you get the main site in my signature, or is it just the direct link you have problems with?
MrApples
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r@mbo wrote:
my frame buffer messes up saying it has to be a multiple of 4 with mtrr or something - I can't really tell..

paste your grub config for this kernel please
miknight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
what is with the sk98lin driver ?

I use the driver, and its included in the official tree. - right ?

Yeah, I am also curious about this. Is this a somehow-improved version of the driver?

Edit: Ah, perhaps it is this? http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/11/10/273
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
GentooBox: This is a different driver than the standard one.

racoontje: nitro-sources is not meant to be better or worse than any other kernel. The point of it is to give users a (mostly) working patchset with patches that they want that do not necessarily exist together within the official gentoo kernels. If you like ikke's patches better than nitro's, than ikke is better. If you don't, then nitro is better. That's all there is to it.

That being said, ikke-sources is meant to be mm-based, whereas nitro-sources is strictly ck-based (possibly including some fixes from mm where applicable). If you like mm (love-sources was mm-based), you'll probably like ikke.

As a side note, ikke-sources are meant to be a stable alternative to those offered in portage. nitro-sources offers no guarantee of stability. For that reason, nitro may contain more recent and developmental patches than ikke.

Hope that helps!

So nitro's more my cup of coffee. How about morph-sources?
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoontje: From what I've seen morph-sources is ck-based, but really it would be more accurate to say that it's closer to cko-based since it has so much extra crap like supermount (yeah, I'm one of those guys) in it. In the released of morph and nitro, one usually comes out with something immediately (or very soon after) the other, which makes it seem almost like a race sometimes. I say this since I noticed that he switched to ckdev at the exact same time I did (at the urging of bollucks). Maybe it is some sort of race that I was not alerted to?

Anyway, what I notice in morph-sources (recently, since I haven't really been keeping tabs on it for long) is that he's put in a lot of untested/experimental/bad patches that he later has had to revert in order to fix other stuff. I'm not saying you shouldn't try/use it by any means, but it seems almost as though he's trying to take on too many extra patches to make them all work right (sorry yardbird, I DO respect your work, but that's just the way it seems to me :wink:).

Off that topic, I'll probably have a new nitro out in a day or two (or three). Anyone have anything they want added? First person to say "supermount" wins a link referring them to the ivman howto...
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermount! Supermount! Supermount!!!!

Did I win? :D

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg: You win! Here's your prize!

Nice timing, by the way. I thought that I might actually have to wait a few minutes.
Robin79
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx i will take a look on ivman :P i used to mount manually :)
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
delerious010
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off .. gj on the kernel patch it's quite nice =)

Now, was wondering where you're split patches are ? In the first post you made mention of them being available ?

They'd be quite usefull because the current nitro2 seems to be crashing my computer at random intervals and I'd love to know why ! :x
Every so often it just locks up (completely .. sound, ssh, mouse, keyboard, etc... ) and this doesnt seem to happen on my yoper on a seperate partition 8O
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
racoontje: From what I've seen morph-sources is ck-based, but really it would be more accurate to say that it's closer to cko-based since it has so much extra crap like supermount (yeah, I'm one of those guys) in it. In the released of morph and nitro, one usually comes out with something immediately (or very soon after) the other, which makes it seem almost like a race sometimes. I say this since I noticed that he switched to ckdev at the exact same time I did (at the urging of bollucks). Maybe it is some sort of race that I was not alerted to?

Anyway, what I notice in morph-sources (recently, since I haven't really been keeping tabs on it for long) is that he's put in a lot of untested/experimental/bad patches that he later has had to revert in order to fix other stuff. I'm not saying you shouldn't try/use it by any means, but it seems almost as though he's trying to take on too many extra patches to make them all work right (sorry yardbird, I DO respect your work, but that's just the way it seems to me :wink:).

Off that topic, I'll probably have a new nitro out in a day or two (or three). Anyone have anything they want added? First person to say "supermount" wins a link referring them to the ivman howto...

He has a LOT of CK stuff in his that you have in yours too. Of course, cuz you're both basicly CK based. BUT with morph8 he took out some CK stuff including schedulers and a few other things and guess what -- his patch now causes no audio problems for me while yours make me audio useless still. :( I think you should both work together to find out what is causing the problems.....

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
He has a LOT of CK stuff in his that you have in yours too. Of course, cuz you're both basicly CK based. BUT with morph8 he took out some CK stuff including schedulers and a few other things and guess what -- his patch now causes no audio problems for me while yours make me audio useless still. :( I think you should both work together to find out what is causing the problems.....
-Feld

Given that these guys are just slapping together patches that other people are making, why not contact ck directly or on his mailing list and ask him? It doesn't help development if you don't tell the person who's making the patches.
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
racoontje: From what I've seen morph-sources is ck-based, but really it would be more accurate to say that it's closer to cko-based since it has so much extra crap like supermount (yeah, I'm one of those guys) in it.

Well, yes and no. -cko has loads of stuff I never use and thus won't be in -morph. My policy with -morph is that I put in only stuff that I use and test extensively and that is not likely to interfere with other parts of the kernel in case of a breakage.
Darckness wrote:
In the released of morph and nitro, one usually comes out with something immediately (or very soon after) the other, which makes it seem almost like a race sometimes. I say this since I noticed that he switched to ckdev at the exact same time I did (at the urging of bollucks). Maybe it is some sort of race that I was not alerted to?

Actually I did not switch to ckdev, I included only some minor updates plus the io-priority patch. And yes, I keep an eye on nitro to see if interesting stuff gets in :wink:
Darckness wrote:
Anyway, what I notice in morph-sources (recently, since I haven't really been keeping tabs on it for long) is that he's put in a lot of untested/experimental/bad patches that he later has had to revert in order to fix other stuff.

Not really. In the first place I marked the whole 2.6.10-morph series as experimental (as clearly stated in the changelog); secondly, I reverted some parts of the ck patch that, according to many reports, caused interactivity problems in all -ck based kernels. It is true that I try to be as up-to-date as possible, but, apart from the ck issues, I have never reverted back a patch because it caused problems.
Darckness wrote:
First person to say "supermount" wins a link referring them to the ivman howto...

I don't understand much all this dislike for supermount. It is pretty easy to setup and it does things that ivman does not (for example forcing the umount of a cdrom when a damn userspace app tries to lock it regardless). I know it won't ever make it into mainline, but I doubt that ivman is the right-way (tm) to do things either.
bollucks wrote:
Given that these guys are just slapping together patches that other people are making, why not contact ck directly or on his mailing list and ask him? It doesn't help development if you don't tell the person who's making the patches.

AFAIK Con Kolivas is aware of the problems and working to resolve them. There were some bugreports on the -ck mailing list too.

http://www.bluescarni.info
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbird wrote:
AFAIK Con Kolivas is aware of the problems and working to resolve them. There were some bugreports on the -ck mailing list too.

I follow the ck mailing list and as far as he knows the problem is limited to wine and cedega games or people renicing X to -ve values.
Rounan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

When compiling nitro2, I get the following error:
Code:
LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x9ca9f): In function `input_open_file':
: undefined reference to `.L617'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

This isn't limited to nitro sources, I get it when compiling any 2.6.10 kernel I've tried - gentoo-dev and ck in portage, namely.

Google turns up nothing (literally, I can't find this error anywhere on the 'net).

drivers/built-in.o isn't specific enough for me to pick out which section of my config is at fault.

Any ideas?
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
yardbird wrote:

I follow the ck mailing list and as far as he knows the problem is limited to wine and cedega games or people renicing X to -ve values.

well someone should clue him in. I dont run Wine or Cedega nor do I renice X. Every kernel I've used that has all his stuff in breaks my sound in OpenAL games.

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
thecrazyperson_ws
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this here is one of the best kernels i've seen to date. i just built one of these beauties on a p4-2.26 and it was literally "push enter in grub" and you see a login. the dude almost shit himself when he saw how fast it was.

great work darckness.

Gagazet: Pentium 2-266, 288M ram, 240G HD, currently installing gentoo

Besaid: p-150, 80M ram, win2k pro
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Udev doesn't create symlinks for cdrom, cdrw, dvd, dvdrw when i boot this kernel. The only diffs (compared to my dev-sources 2.6.9-r9 kernel-config) that seem pertinent are the addition of reiser4, & the omission of 4k-stacks. Any ideas..?

In previous posts, i've evidently not searched thoroughly enough & asked a duplicate question, so apologies in advance if i've done it again :wink: .
jzono1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sources, but, having to manually do that nonhd patch for s-ata devices is booring...
bMd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sorry for the stupid question, know i read it somewere but cannt find it]
Is cd-burning broken in 2.6.10 kernel? Was sure it worked in 2.6.9 but in 2.6.10 it would burn, looks like it makes it to 100%, then everytime would say there was 1 error on burn (I use xcdroaster to burn my cd's).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: