Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spb wrote:
As for gentoo vs freebsd, the way I see it is this: FreeBSD's kernel and base system is nicer than GNU/Linux, but Gentoo's package management is far nicer. As for which I'd choose, go for the best of both worlds: Gentoo/FreeBSD. :)

What makes FreeBSD's kernel better then Gentoo's kernel? What things should I watch out for if I decide to use Gentoo instead of FreeBSD?

Steven
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j79zlr wrote:
I would never run Gentoo on a server, portage is too unstable. If you want the security fixes, you have to unmask ~x86, and these can be about as broken as anything. FreeBSD's ports are actually tested before they make it into the ports tree, and security fixes are in there right away.
You seem to be a well balanced user, unlike me :wink:
The upcoming glsa features (maybe they are already in portage? I haven't checked) should cover security fixes better than before.
The latest exploited PHP vulnerability (and it is a really nasty one, they say...) is fixed by upgrading from 4.3.9 to 4.3.10. I noticed this and upgraded all gentoo systems I run during last week. But at that time, no newer version than 4.3.9,1 were available for FreeBSD 5.3 (which I happen to run on the newest server of ours). Maybe it is an unusual coincidence, but gentoo was faster providing a security upgrade this time.

I don't think portage is unstable. I have used it slightly longer than a year and I have never been struck by anything like portage being unstable during this time. I manage my laptop and six servers all running gentoo and I am so thankful to the power of portage and the verbosity of emerge, although I prefer to use esearch as an add-on. Your experience of portage being unstable, is it before last quarter 2003 or what?
I have never heard of it myself.

The only things that have been seen broken in my experience are some rare ebuilds of applications with version numbers below 0.4.0 and such.

Please tell!
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really isn't a good example, but you used it. php4.3.10 was released on December 15th, it was in the freebsd ports tree on the 16th, http://www.freshports.org/lang/php4 It wasn't marked as stable on x86 until the 17th http://www.gentoo-portage.com/dev-php/php/ChangeLog :)

As far as being unstable, well, a month ago or so I unmasked glibc to use the nptlonly and the userlocale features and it completely hosed my install, I had to reinstall, without unmasking glibc, to fix it. I've never had anything in the freebsd ports tree break my box so bad I had to reinstall it. There is a lengthy thread on this board about it here. I am just saying that ebuilds fail a lot more frequently than FreeBSD's ports.

Like I said before, I use Gentoo, and I really like it; I just don't like the pointless and often wrong arguments that FreeBSD sucks because of _fillintheblank_.
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but you are talking about unmasked ebuilds now.
You said above that portage has been buggy.

I understand fully that tricking with masked ebuild might give some trouble. But then one should be prepared for crazy behaviour, correct?

As gentoo is a do-whatever-if-you-like-but-don't-blame-us distro (I am thinking of freedom of choice, "optimize 'til you die") this is possible. But I never do those things on the gentoo servers. Running gentoo a little laid back as far as "optimizations" goes is wuite stable I think. I mean. I've had no trouble yet on my six boxes, over the year that has passed.
jonaswidarsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j79zlr wrote:
This really isn't a good example, but you used it. php4.3.10 was released on December 15th, it was in the freebsd ports tree on the 16th, http://www.freshports.org/lang/php4 It wasn't marked as stable on x86 until the 17th http://www.gentoo-portage.com/dev-php/php/ChangeLog :)
Well. Why wasn't it reachable by the network install I did on the freebsd server dec 20 then? Yeah, I know I am a FreeBSD newbie... Using it feels like walking around in the dark with my hands reached out to sense for obstacles. But I actually tried to fetch php exactly as your freshports link says "pkg_add -r php4" but I only got 4.3.9,1. I guess I was on a laggy package mirror.
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats my point though, you have to unmask ebuilds to get the latest version, but they break, and often. I learned my lesson, I don't unmask barely anything anymore except for a small amount of apps that I want the latest version of, e.g. Gaim, Firefox, but the only way that the glibc build, that completely killed my box along with quite a few others, could have gotten into portage to begin with was by not being tested _at all_. It wasn't hard masked, and it should have been.
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonaswidarsson wrote:
j79zlr wrote:
Well. Why wasn't it reachable by the network install I did on the freebsd server dec 20 then? Yeah, I know I am a FreeBSD newbie... Using it feels like walking around in the dark with my hands reached out to sense for obstacles. But I actually tried to fetch php exactly as your freshports link says "pkg_add -r php4" but I only got 4.3.9,1. I guess I was on a laggy package mirror.

FreeBSD's packages are not built very often, maybe once a month since it revovles around the ports tree. You should install from the ports tree and use that as your package management. Take a look at the FreeBSD handbook on cvsup.
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned of this site http://www.securityfocus.com/bid . And it show security flaws of different systems. FreeBSD has hardly any, Gentoo has more, and it looks like microsoft has less then Gentoo.

Steven
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when you look at security reports. #1 alot of sites include ALL linux software when they make comparisions. Vulnerabilities in say apache are included, but add-on software is not included with Windows. #2 There may be more security holes found in Linux/Unix, but they are also patched. Microsoft has known holes, years old, that go unpatched. #3 look at the time to patch, Microsoft's FUD department likes to claim that they fix their holes more quickly than its open source counterparts, but this is purely a lie. Ususally a patch is really within hours of a hole being discover in OSS, Microsoft can take weeks or months, if they even bother to patch it at all. IE6 has 20 known and unpatched security advisories, some are over a year old.
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that explains the difference between Windows and Gentoo. But even with that I think FreeBSD is better off then Gentoo. But maybe I am reading things wronge. If you could help me out with this it would be greatly apreated.

Steven
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo's list dose include other OSS on its list. Why is that? Why is it not included on FreeBSD when it uses some of the same software?

Steven
shagrat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried installing FreeBSD 5.3 on my server last week. It lasted 3 days before i dd'ed back my gentoo setup :). But somethings were awesome. I liked it's more relaxed update cycle (looking forward to GLEP 19), it was VERY fast and it's implementation of pf rocked (haven't tried it on OpenBSD yet).
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what's the best *BSD is to start with. FreeBSD has good documentation, but OpenBSD's POV on security really appeals me.
shagrat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krolden wrote:
I wonder what's the best *BSD is to start with. FreeBSD has good documentation, but OpenBSD's POV on security really appeals me.

I would say FreeBSD. I did not have any problems with it atleast.
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJR3t2 wrote:
What makes FreeBSD's kernel better then Gentoo's kernel? What things should I watch out for if I decide to use Gentoo instead of FreeBSD?
Nice features of FreeBSD's kernel include things like PF, jails, and the securelevels. Things to watch out for in Gentoo: nothing in particular that I can think of at the moment.

j79zlr wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could argue that Gentoo's portage is a better package management system than FreeBSD's. Aside from the fact that portage is based off of FreeBSD's ports tree, FreeBSD has better dependency checking, and the package tools are far superior. Where is pkgdb -F? portsclean -CDD? Portupgrade will not completely fail if one thing fails, only the dependent ports, nothing is worse than doing a large emerge update, leaving and something fails early. Atleast with BSD it will continue.
I happen to like Portage better than Ports. Simple as that. Last i looked. it had some things that Ports still lacked, and the stuff that it's missing is under development.
shashir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is server you want... go with FreeBSD... all you need is server tools and database... FreeBSD has plenty of apps for that... It is pretty fast for servers... but Gentoo is best for desktop because as someone already said, all the applications for desktop are first made for Linux... If you want try Slackware... it is good for Server and Desktop... so stable that even Debian backs off... and if you use it right... you will not hit a single crash from the actual system.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this thread started, I was intrigued by what I heard about FreeBSD, so I decided to install it on a spare machine. It took me a day or so to figure my way around, but in that time I figured out how to get X and sound working. Install new binary and compiled packages. How to compile a kernel and to integrate it into my home network. It's been a few years since I have used a BSD system and I must say things have come a long way. If there was no Gentoo, I would certainly be using FreeBSD.

However, that said, I like Gentoo's approach to packages better. All packages (system and others) are in portage. You don't have to figure out if what you want updated is part of ports or the system. Most of the things I did not like about FreeBSD were more of a matter of taste rather than something that was wrong. Not that anything about FreeBSD is bad, but I did not see any compelling reason to like it over Gentoo.
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If stability and security are of highest priority, I suggest OpenBSD or Hardened Gentoo. Trust me, you will sleep better at night.

URL: < http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/primer.xml >

URL: < http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/ >

"My logic is undeniable."
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedDawn wrote:
Gotta remember that *BSD usually are more stable than linux..

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

You wont see linux in there at all...

Right from netcraft:

Quote:
Operating systems we can usually work out uptimes for are:
* FreeBSD

Operating systems that do not provide uptime information include;
* Linux before kernel version 2.1
* Linux on Alpha and IA64 processors
* Linux on Intel x86 processor from kernel version 2.5.25

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#uptime
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uptime doesn't necessarily mean stability, besides updating the FreeBSD world requires a reboot, and there are some security patches that require a rebuilding of the world. Same thing goes for the Linux kernel, it needs to be updated when there are security fixes released. Having a 1000 day uptime on a production server usually just means it is unpatched, regardless of OS.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD definately seems better managed than Gentoo.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j79zlr wrote:
Having a 1000 day uptime on a production server usually just means it is unpatched, regardless of OS.

With Gentoo, I only have had to reboot when updating the kernel. However, what I have read about those uptimes and that Linux uptime wraps after some number of days so the longer uptimes of BSD has more to do with accurate reporting than actual uptimes.
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linux kernel (gentoo != linux ffs!) does scale slightly better than FreeBSD, has better hardware support (alsa kicks OSS arse all the way to...some place very far! :)) - but if there is something that makes the security, stability and usage hard for a Linux administrator is these freaking distros! :P
But, somehow, iptables feels a lot "snappier" when it comes to routing trafic etc, than OpenBSDs PF.
I think it's placebo, but who knows? :)

FreeBSD is a nice thing - one taste, tested, stable (have there ever been a vuln in the FreeBSD kernel?), good documentation (it's a lot better than the average linux distro, including gentoo), great performance with IDE drives (or is that a myth? I'm not sure), a superior tcp/ip stack, and if I would host a critical production server, FreeBSD would be my choice of OS.

and oh - using OpenBSD on a production server is not very smart, due to it's bad scaling (OpenBSD isn't developed with speed nor scalability in mind, security is their main focus) - even NetBSD would perform better :D

Conclusion:
Linux is great, but it's main problems are the distros, but does do well as a server and is great for the desktop.
FreeBSD seems a lot more stable and mature, though.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I have been impressed by FreeBSD's man pages. Each command has one and they are well written. The only thing they lack is examples of command use. The man pages that are worth while in Gentoo have those.

I'm not sure their handbook is any better than ours. Both are very good.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffi wrote:
I'm not sure their handbook is any better than ours. Both are very good.

Gentoo's covers 58 A4 pages; FreeBSD's is 956 pages long. I think it's safe to say that theirs is just a teensy-weensy bit more comprehensive. :-D In addition, if one should want a hard copy of their handbook, it's possible to purchase it in book form.

EDIT: Corrected a typo... that should have read 956 pages, not 958.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: