View previous topic :: View next topic  
d_klusenerx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello , between these two options what do you recommend

1. gentoo and freebsd on seperate partitions but on same system
2. gentoo/FBSD project

if I am not running a server and basically just using linux as a desktop and for programming, is there any value going into FreeBSD?
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_klusenerx wrote:
hello , between these two options what do you recommend

1. gentoo and freebsd on seperate partitions but on same system
2. gentoo/FBSD project

if I am not running a server and basically just using linux as a desktop and for programming, is there any value going into FreeBSD?

Personly, I don't want to learn two systems. Yes, it is possibly, but why do it, when there are so many other things to do with our lives. I am intrested in the Gentoo/FBSD project, I need to spend some time on this. The main reason I picked FreeBSD over Gentoo is that all places that lease servers have FreeBSD, not all have Genoo. On top of that, I beleive FreeBSD has a better kernel, better TCP/IP stack, etc.

Steven
eerok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this thread reminds me that I couldn't get freebsd to install on my newer box, which is why I ended up trying gentoo in the first place. I tried netbsd before gentoo -- the install went fine, but it just wasn't the same.

The problem I have is that freebsd won't accept the disk geometry of the hard drive. Versions before 5 won't even boot from the install cd (they freeze up probing the hard drives); 5.3 boots but refuses to write a partition table. This leads me to believe that freebsd just doesn't like my disk controller.

Anyway, it's interesting to see that so many gentooers seem to like freebsd. I used it for years, and rather liked it myself.
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Netcraft stats showing that BSD/OS is on top and not Linux doesn't mean that Linux is unstable, unless of course you don't know what you're talking about. Most of the Linux kernels that run on these high-availibility servers have uptime variables that overflow at around ~497 days. If you would have bothered to check the information your sources give you before you try to use it as an argument, you would have known this:
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html
Quote:

Additionally HP-UX, Linux, NetApp NetCache, Solaris and recent releases of FreeBSD cycle back to zero after 497 days, exactly as if the machine had been rebooted at that precise point. Thus it is not possible to see a HP-UX, Linux or Solaris system with an uptime measurement above 497 days.

Note the 'recent releases' in front of FreeBSD, obviously the ones that get high uptimes haven't had an update recently.
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or are running 4.10, the Super-Stable release.
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
Or are running 4.10, the Super-Stable release.

Which is what I meant, really ;-)
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonaswidarsson wrote:

My opinion is:
There is absolutely NO REASON to chose FreeBSD before Gentoo.

That's right. Because if you somehow used FreeBSD it will be toooo
difficult to accept all Gentoo problems which you never had on BSD...

jonaswidarsson wrote:

I had earlier experience from FreeBSD and I thought it would be alright, but I was so disappointed with it and I have spent two weeks configuring it.

It strongly depend on you. It's maybe crazy but I have never problems with BSD
and had configure it relative quickly.

jonaswidarsson wrote:

Gentoo and FreeBSD is very compareable as far as advertising goes...
But trust me. Gentoo is supreme.

You are not God to trust in. A human should have arguments...
I don't saw them.

First of all I should ask, what author has means?
The comparison is here Gentoo vs FreeBSD? Not Linux vs FreeBSD?
If it is the first one, then it means comparison between Ports
and Portage. And I would stay on FreeBSD side.
If we compare Linux vs FreeBSD, then it depend what for
your sytem done. For home comps and new technologies
such as reiser4 and so on of course Linux.
If sytem should be a server and reliable without problems with
setup and configure - FreeBSD.

So far.
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my opinion. I've used FreeBSD, Gentoo, and other Linux Distros, and I'll just say this:

Other Linux users will talk about how tough it is to Install and run a Gentoo system. Well IMHO FreeBSD makes Gentoo feel like Windows. FreeBSD is a rock solid OS for what it's designed for - running servers. I would never use it as a Desktop because it's just too restrictive and too much of a pain. If I was building a server, I'd use FreeBSD or Hardened Gentoo (I run servers on both). I'm not certain which is better; I give my preference to hardened Gentoo because it's easier to install, configure, secure, and maintain. But I've never had a security issue on any of my servers, so I can't say for sure which is more secure. For a Desktop? Gentoo, hands down. Absolutely no competition.
titan100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
Here's my opinion. I've used FreeBSD, Gentoo, and other Linux Distros, and I'll just say this:

Other Linux users will talk about how tough it is to Install and run a Gentoo system. Well IMHO FreeBSD makes Gentoo feel like Windows. FreeBSD is a rock solid OS for what it's designed for - running servers. I would never use it as a Desktop because it's just too restrictive and too much of a pain. If I was building a server, I'd use FreeBSD or Hardened Gentoo (I run servers on both). I'm not certain which is better; I give my preference to hardened Gentoo because it's easier to install, configure, secure, and maintain. But I've never had a security issue on any of my servers, so I can't say for sure which is more secure. For a Desktop? Gentoo, hands down. Absolutely no competition.

Writing this of a laptop running freebsd 5.3 ,

I find freebsd to be as good as a desktop as gentoo for my uses. I love the sysctl inerface and it's quite fast.
falcon_za
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a lot or answer in here saying things like "i like gentoo better" "bsd makes a better server" "portage ownz ports" "ports ownz portage" and so on.

So I am not going to ask again which one you think is better. What I'd like to people who hage used both long enough to know them, is what consider as strongs points and short commings in both. Not like "portage is a strong point" but more like "feature XXX in portage rocks, but then YYY is better under bsd's ports because it has ZZZ"

I am mainly intersted in the differences between portage / ports, init scprits, system configuration, kernel features (not stability, this has been widely covered).

Multiple languages support including asia languages chinese and japanese is also a requierement for me. for ports, i can check what's available, but how well does the base system handle this (utf8 filenames, ...)
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes, I've used FreeBSD for a few years, and Gentoo about a year. I'll start with Ports vs. Portage.

Ports:

* Things are tested before making it into the ports tree, sure things fail, but nearly as often as ebuilds.
* It doesn't take months for new versions to be stable, they are tested and updated, no silly ~x86 masks. e.g. Gnome 2.10 is in the FreeBSD ports tree and is fully stable, it will be 95 here in Chicago before it is on Gentoo.
* Working recursive dependency checking, this is nonexistant in Gentoo.
* Working program to remove old distfiles, I know there are scripts to do it in Gentoo, but none seem to work perfectly.
* /usr/ports/UPDATING explains any wierdness you might expect with changes in the ports tree, and how to fix it, with Gentoo you are on your own.

Portage:

* Use flags are convienent, but you can accomplish the same thing with /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf on FreeBSD.
* CFLAG filtering, right now on FreeBSD, you can safely set CPU_TYPE [effective to -march=] and -O2 -pipe, anything else is unsupported.

My main differences:

FreeBSD:

* Hierarchy is strictly followed, system items go into /usr, /etc/, X11 stuff into /usr/X11R6, local ports into /usr/local, /usr/local/etc. I am never trying to find anything in the FS, I know exactly where it will be.

Gentoo:

* Just plain better support for the desktop, e.g. Flash works flawlessly on Linux; on FreeBSD it is hacked in using linux emulation and is terribly slow.
* In general, better support for the latest hardware on Linux, simply because it is more popular.
labrador
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: software RAID Reply with quote

The killer for me is software RAID. I've got IDE disks, so I need
redundancy. Linux has it, and it is stable. BSD has dabbled
in something called vinum. The web page for the project scares me:

http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html

Quote:
This document refers to “old” Vinum, the version that I wrote in 1997. Since I wrote it, FreeBSD has changed its I/O structure, breaking many things in Vinum. At the time of writing, a new version, provisionally called gvinum, is being written.

The revision date on that web page is May of 2004. Is this a current project?

That line about BSD breaking things kinda bursts the bubble of BSD claiming
everything is 100% designed from the ground up and less chaotic than Linux.
Boinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: FreeBSD less "chaotic"? Reply with quote

Hello there,

I've read this often with regard to FreeBSD: GNU/LInux is supposed to be much more "chaotic" and the code looks less professional.

I don't see the underlying code as an end user and I don't notice anything of Gentoo being chaotic, on the contrary!

How would one notice something of the underlying code being not very good looking when using a system such as Gentoo? What does that mean anyway: FreebSD's code looks more professional? Does it mean that for example the code of the Linux kernel contains a lot of redundant or unused stuff or what? Or is it like HTML code being less tidy?

Can someone give me an example of Linux code being less professional or more chaotic than its FreeBSD counterpart?

Cheers,

Robert
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good request Boinky. I have also had many FreeBSD advicats state the same thing.

Anyother thing I have hurd from FreeBSD advicats say related to programming code is the following. Gentoo/Linux kernel programmers do not engineer it's code but only think about it as they write. Contrasted with FreeBSD, they engineer the code, then write it. Which is a much better practice. I do not beleive this statement is true. I would like to know Gentoo Community response to this.

Steven
defkewl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo vs FreeBSD Reply with quote

SJR3t2 wrote:
I am having a hard time with this decision. I am trying to decide wether to use Gentoo or FreeBSD. Most of the time I lean to Gentoo (I already have a little server going with Gentoo), but right now I am wondering about switching.

I am hoping to get peoples honest opions about why they choose one OS over the other.

It depends on your needs. FreeBSD is stable since that's their main focus. But I think overall FreeBSD has a few similarities from Gentoo since Gentoo philosophy were taken from FreeBSD.
SJR3t2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very important thing for me is to find a place that will lease a Gentoo or a FreeBSD box with lots of bandwidth for a very good price. The places I have found that will lease a Gentoo box do not give much bandwidth without high prices. I would like to be told I am wrong, and where it is true.

Steven
Boinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Talking about "stability" Reply with quote

Hello there again,

one more thing: I installed FreeBSD-5.3 a while ago and it takes quite some work in order to update the ports and sources. You have to use cvsup files to do that and it takes quite a while before everything is updated. It gave me the impression of a chaotic system, unlike Gentoo where everything concerning software is done through the central portage system.

On FreebSD if you want something installed, you need to go to the corresponding ports directory and do a

Code:

FreeBSD # make install clean

On Gentoo you sometimes get compile errors but on FreeBSD I almost always got them and they were not as easily solved as on Gentoo.

I did manage to compile Xorg though but the first thing that happened when I did # Xorg -configure
was that the system locked up completely. Talking about "stability" ... I have never experienced this before with Gentoo. When a xorg.conf file is not good, X just quits. Not on FreeBSD! Now some people will start telling me that this has nothing to do with FreeBSD but with the FreeBSD implementation of Xorg. Whatever. People claim that FreeBSD is suitable as a desktop system and I seriously doubt that also because:

- nVidia drivers are not updated as regularly as for GNU/Linux
- there is no native Flash player
- a lot of stuff works through a Linux emulation layer

What irritated me a lot was the way they implemented what is know as GPM on Gentoo (a console-based mouse driver). On Gentoo you simply select text with your left mouse button and paste by clicking the right button. On FreeBSD you have to click both buttons at the same time in order to paste text.

Another thing is that it took ages for my external USB drive to get mounted (160 Gb) on FreeBSD. Very strange. On Gentoo it is mounted right away.

One thing that illustrated a lot to me was the fact that a Swiss guy asked a question on bsdforums.org regarding setting up a console background image. No FreeBSD guy understood what he was talking about because this is simply impossible or not done on FreeBSD. They asked: do you mean a boot-time splash screen? And then they started talking about GRUB while this was not at all what our Swiss guy wanted. The last message was:

Quote:

If I'm right, this is a fancy graphical screen which shows cut-down versions of device probing and service starting messages. I think Mandrake does something similar. Well, someone may have done it, but most of us (FreeBSD users) would think it Much Effort Little Reward.`Looks Pretty' is a marketeer's target, not a programmer's.

j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmon, cvsup is not that difficult to set up. Copy the sample file and edit the default host line.

I don't buy the compile errors argument either, I use both FreeBSD and Gentoo daily, and ebuilds break atleast 5x's more often then freebsd ports. I find compiler errors very rare on FreeBSD, and if there is one, it is usually caused by someone not reading /usr/ports/UPDATING and following directions.

IMHO the reason for the stability of FreeBSD is that the base system is seperated from the software. GCC is not going to get updated without doing a buildworld, and it isn't put into the system source until tested and working against everything. Without having to worry about 5 different versions it helps alot with the overall stability. Lets take another example, you update perl on FreeBSD, so you have to reinstall all perl dependent ports, so you run portupgrade -f `(pkg_info -R perl\* | tail +4)` how would you do that on Gentoo? You can't, no recursive dependency checking.

I am not a FreeBSD zealot, I love and use Gentoo as my main desktop, simply because there are some things lacking in FreeBSD for that, I have never argued against that. But, when it comes to stability and servers, FreeBSD is the OS I would choose 10 times out of 10.

Remember, without FreeBSD there is no Gentoo.
Boinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Cmon, cvsup is not that difficult to set up.

---> I didn't say it was difficult.

Quote:

I don't buy the compile errors argument either, I use both FreeBSD and Gentoo daily, and ebuilds break atleast 5x's more often then freebsd ports.

---> whatever you may or may not buy, I just don't say this without reason. My experience is different from yours but I know what I see.

I installed a basic FreeBSD-5.3 system on two different machines. On one machine I tried to use the Ports system on the second machine I installed Portage.

Need some examples? No problem, I've got several different kinds of compile errors:

Quote:

===> Building for perl-5.8.5
AutoSplitting perl library
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.5 ./miniperl -Ilib -e 'use
AutoSplit; autosplit_lib_modules(@ARGV)' lib/*.pm
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.5 ./miniperl -Ilib -e 'use
AutoSplit; autosplit_lib_modules(@ARGV)' lib/*/*.pm
make lib/re.pm
`lib/re.pm' is up to date.

Making DynaLoader (static_pic)
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
*** Error code 132

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.5/ext/DynaLoader.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.5.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fastest_cvsup.

Quote:

new source -> compiling ../src/runtime/common/RTCollectorSRC.i3
Mar 26 09:45:54 FreeToo kernel: pid 3388 (m3build), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (c
ore dumped)
m3build: quake error: quake error: runtime error: m3build failed with error code
: 33792

--procedure-- -line- -file---
error -- <builtin>
BuildChunk 164 /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/work/ezm3-1.2/src/m3makefile
PkgInfo 240 /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/work/ezm3-1.2/src/m3makefile
38 /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/work/ezm3-1.2/src/PACKAGES

gmake: *** [packages] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/ezm3.
*** Error code 1

Quote:

>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/TeX/CTAN/tools/zip/info-zip/src
//.
fetch: ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/TeX/CTAN/tools/zip/info-zip/src//unzip551.tar.gz: Fi
le unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/unzip551.tar.gz: File u
navailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/archivers/unzip.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/clamav.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/clamav.

On another system I tried to use Portage for FreeBSD:

Quote:

Making all in intl
Making all in .
if gcc -DDEFPATH="\".:/usr/share/awk\"" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGAWK -DLOCALEDIR="\"/u
sr/share/locale\"" -I. -I. -I. -Iintl -march=pentium4 -O2 -mmmx -msse -pipe
-fno-strict-aliasing -ffast-math -malign-double -funroll-loops -MT array.o -MD -
MP -MF ".deps/array.Tpo" -c -o array.o array.c; then mv -f ".deps/array.Tpo" ".
deps/array.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/array.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
byacc -d awkgram.y && sed -f ./bisonfix.sed < y.tab.c > awkgram.c && y.tab.c
byacc: 31 shift/reduce conflicts
y.tab.c: Permission denied
*** Error code 126

Stop in /var/tmp/portage/gawk-3.1.4-r4/work/gawk-3.1.4.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/gawk-3.1.4-r4 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 53, Exitcode 1
!!! emake failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

FreeBSD is much more secure than Gentoo, so much so that even as root you can't do much ;-) ...

Quote:

I find compiler errors very rare on FreeBSD, and if there is one, it is usually caused by someone not reading /usr/ports/UPDATING and following directions.

---> you underestimate me ;-). I DID read it, but it wasn't very helpful and several commands just didn't work.

An example of /usr/ports/UPDATING that illustrates how "easy" it can be to upgrade ports on FreeBSD:

Quote:

20040830:
AFFECTS: users of x11/kde3, x11/kdelibs3, x11/kdebase3
AUTHOR: kde@freebsd.org

In KDE 3.3, a number of files were moved between ports and some ports
were removed. This means that you will have to take some precautions
to update your KDE installation. A simple portupgrade -a will not work.
portupgrade -R kde can fail as well, depending on what parts of KDE you
have currently installed. We therefore recommend sticking to the following
procedure. The procedure requires you to have sysutils/portupgrade installed
and you to be the superuser (or using sudo). We recommend not being logged in
to a KDE session on the machine you're performing the upgrade on. If you
choose to perform the update while being logged in to KDE, expect erratic
behaviour and crashes from applications launched during the update.

1.) First, make sure your ports index is up to date.

cd /usr/ports && make index

or, if you're using the sysutils/portindex port

portindex

2.) Delete installed packages which conflict with the updated KDE
ports.

pkg_deinstall -f kdeaddons-kontact-plugins-\* \
kdeaddons-kaddressbook-plugins-\* kdepim-\* kdeutils-\* \
kdeaddons-\[0-9\]\* kde-\[0-9\]\*

kdegraphics now conflicts with the kolourpaint package and kdeedu now
conflicts with the kwordquiz package. If you have kwordquiz and/or
kolourpaint installed on your system and you want to use the kdegraphics/
kdeedu ports, you should first deinstall the conflicting packages:

pkg_deinstall -f kolourpaint\* kwordquiz\*

3.) Now update the remaining KDE ports.

portupgrade arts\* kde\* quanta\*

or, if you want to update KDE along with other updated ports:

portupgrade -a

Note that the quanta port has been renamed to kdewebdev. The commands
above will automatically replace quanta with kdewebdev, if you have
quanta installed.

4.) Reinstall any KDE ports you deleted in step 2. Note that the kdeaddons-
kontact-plugins (net/kontact-plugins), kdepim-kpilot (palm/kpilot) and
quanta (www/quanta) ports/packages do not exist anymore and cannot be
reinstalled.

Known post-updating issues:

- If you're missing acoustic notifications (system sounds) after the update:

rm ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

Then log out of KDE and back in again.

- KMail has been heavily modified since KDE 3.2.x. Testing shows that KMail
can display erratic behaviour and crashes after the update. If you see any
such behaviour, it is recommended to simply close KMail and start it again
until it resumes normal operation.

The integration of GnuPG and KMail for signing, encrypting and verifying
PGP/MIME mail has also changed. A quick howto is available at
http://freebsd.kde.org/howtos/gnupg-kmail.php.

Quote:

I am not a FreeBSD zealot, I love and use Gentoo as my main desktop, simply because there are "some" things lacking in FreeBSD for that...

---> this was my point in the first place. Actually you simply repeat what I just said.

Quote:

IMHO the reason for the stability of FreeBSD is that the base system is seperated from the software. GCC is not going to get updated without doing a buildworld, and it isn't put into the system source until tested and working against everything.

---> show me some instability in Gentoo. I don't notice any instability in Gentoo. I have had Gentoo running for months on end now using it daily as a desktop OS to watch full screen QuickTime movies, play Chromium and listen to MP3's, etc.

---> what would you need to do in order to crash Gentoo while at the same time FreeBSD would continue to work? In what respect is Gentoo less stable than FreeBSD?

---> as for your GCC story: nice story but apparently the Gentoo way didn't stop everything from keeping working OK on my machines and that is what I notice.

Quote:

Remember, without FreeBSD there is no Gentoo.

---> without Apple there is no QuickTime. Without Sun there is no JAVA. Without SGI there is no OpenGL. Etc.

It is not my intention to bash FreeBSD. I do acknowledge it's benefits, but not as a desktop OS (as you confirmed yourself) and that was my point all along.

I am still waiting for some FreeBSD user to show me:

- chaos in Gentoo
- less professional looking GNU/Linux code (when do I see code?)
- the consequences for my end user experience with Gentoo being so-called more chaotic

All the time this userland and kernel story with regard to FreeBSD pops up and how this makes FreeBSD a more cohesive (more stable ?) system. What do I notice of this and what does it mean anyway?

Nothing is 100% pure: every OS has borrowed something from other OSs.

What I also did notice (and still no one has responded to this) on FreeBSD was:

- it takes ages to mount even a small 64 Mb USB stick (let alone an external 160 Gb hard drive)
- at random and strange pauses during boot up (e.g.: sometimes it just hangs on ata: channel #1 on atapci0)

This behaviour (amongst other things) doesn't quite give me the feeling that FreeBSD is so much more stable and well tested than Gentoo.

Cheers,

Robert
eerok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boinky, get rid of those compiler flags and portage; then you might find that there's nothing wrong with freebsd's behavior.

I ran freebsd for years with none of your problems.
Boinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Portage on FreeBSD Reply with quote

Hi there Eerok,

Portage is being ported to FreeBSD and is supposed to work eventually. Get rid of it? Why not get rid of whatever?

I already tried to strip all CFLAGS and COPFLAGS from /etc/make.conf. Same result. I'm really not doing anything weird. It's not the first time I'm compiling stuff, you know and it's not because everything always goes fine for you on FreeBSD that the same should apply to me.

Just accept that nothing is perfect, not even FreeBSD. Is that so difficult? ;-)

Cheers,

R
eerok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage on FreeBSD Reply with quote

Boinky wrote:
Just accept that nothing is perfect, not even FreeBSD. Is that so difficult? ;-)

Not at all. I don't think freebsd is perfect. But you have to admit that there's some evidence in your quoted output to suggest that you might be shooting yourself in the foot.

I'll take your word for it that you know what you're doing :wink:

As for putting portage on freebsd, well, I just don't see the point. Who is porting it?
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only supported compiler flags on FreBSD are -O2 -pipe along with the CPU_TYPE, I stated that above.
You have: -O2 -mmmx -msse -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -ffast-math -malign-double -funroll-loops

First off, I believe -mmmx and -msse are implied when using the CPU_TYPE=p4 [aka -march=pentium4], and -funroll-loops is pointless since it would create larger binaries, and cause alot of wierd things to happen, not limited to compiler errors. EZM will _ALWAYS_ fail with aggresive CFLAGS.

Second, you don't have an up-to-date ports tree, or else you would have perl 5.8.6 not perl 5.8.5, again, the unzip error is because it is at version 552 not 551.

Thrid, I never said the directions in UPDATING were easy, but at least they exist. There is nothing of the sort on Gentoo.
Boinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Peace, brother! Reply with quote

Let's not get upset about something so stupid as a mere operating system. I'm going to keep using Gentoo as a desktop OS anyway, not FreeBSD.

Cheers
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD just seems to have what I want in an intuitive low level way. It is odd but everything from a server perspective seems to work very well and very logically.

Only problem at the mo is backspacing in VIM it seems to be intermitent.

You can turn off parts of the ports tree for cvsup to quicken that process and all the info is contained in the conf file.

Doing a make instead of an emerge offers a degree more flexibility and also keeps you closer to a tool you can use in other areas.

I like both, and yeah Gentoo on the desktop FreeBSD on the server works out very well for me.

With that said I would put Gentoo on server and BSD on a desktop, but each would offer a less useful paradigm, as I would become very cautious on the server and probably get too frsutrated with lack of support for the toys on the desktop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: