building with icc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: building with icc Reply with quote

The new icc6 has improved compatibility with gcc, and should be compatible enough to even build a kernel, and then the rest (qt, kde, etc...).
Anyone already tried ??
If so, does it run more than 10 minutes ???
Thanks by advance to all testers ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got PHP 4.2 built with it, but was unable to get the kernel or MySQL or Apache or anything else really built in it.

So many apps nowadays hard-code the makefile to GCC, so it's pretty much impossible to find all the hooks to take out. Anyone better with compilers than I am that wants to give it a try?

We should get a 10-50% increase in speed over GCC just by using the Intel compiler!!! GCC is not optimized much any more because it supports too many platforms. Intel's compiler can be super-optimized for intel and amd only. Also, it will multi-thread your single-threaded applications... I'm sure it's better to architect it properly in the first place, but this can surely only help us. I wonder how much of the kernel is still single-threaded.... Hmm... I seem to recall that the IP stack wasn't even multi-threaded until about a year ago.... I guess MS was a little better off going with BSDs because it took Linux a little while to catch up....

Anyhow, this is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. GCC 3.0 isn't going to give us Athlon people much of a boost, but SSE v1 (for Athlon XP) and Streaming SIMD instructions for P4 will really speed things up.... Should start to bring P4 up to the level of the forthcoming AMD hammer 64-bit.
kode54
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unofficial benchmarks of icc 6.0 beta versus gcc.

No, icc cannot build the kernel as-is. Intel's site does state that internal testing was performed and they did build a 2.4.x kernel, with modification. Unfortunately, they do not detail the changes enough for easy replication.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: