Mapping Multmedia Keys
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draeven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Mapping Multmedia Keys Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have a Microsoft Wireless Mulitmedia keyboard. I was wondering if there was a way that I could map the Play, Fast Foward, Rewind, Stop, Volume keys under Gnome.

Thanks in advance

Draven
[myrddin]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

use preferences->keyboard shortcuts :-)
idkwiam187
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that myrddin's solution will not let you configure all the buttons. I have the same keyboard as part of the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop and searched high and low for ways to configure the buttons.

The problem we face is that some of the buttons are not mapped to functions (that is, X recognizes them, but doesn't know what to do with them, you just have to tell X). This is easy to solve in preferences, since X at least recognizes them. There are other buttons, however, that X doesn't even register an event for, meaning press them all you like, X doesnt even recognize them (nor does the console for that matter). This won't be solved until there is some sort of driver made for these keyboards.

There are a few tools in portage, such as lineak and others, that aim to map the unmapped keys, but for now you just have to wait for keys such as "Log Off" to work. The good news is that the buttons for video/audio control are detected by X, so most people can be happy with that.

Maybe myrddin's answer actually solved the problem to your satisfaction, but I just wanted to make sure this post was complete for others who do a search and stumble upon it.
foosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having much luck using acme to control multimedia keys in gnome, until it became blocked by gnome-settings-daemon or something I believe.

Anyone know how to make multimedia keys such as volume control work in KDE??
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a key unrecognized on my keyboard[Logitech Black Internet Keyboard] and I was easily able to get it working. Here is a quick crash course for it.

1) Press one of the "dead keys" on your keyboard.
2) Run dmesg and look at the last line which should give you a code for the key and instructions.
3) Run setkeycodes code-it-gives charcode.
4) Edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB and add a new line for the key. On my keyboard it was the "Files" key so I added...

Code:
XorgFiles               :93939393

5) Now run xev and get the 'keycode' value for the button by pressing it with the xev window selected. It will appear in the terminal.

6) Now edit ~/.Xmodmap(you made need to create this file) and put the following in it...

Code:
keycode x = symbol

...where 'x' is the keycode from step 5 and 'symbol' is the the new value you made in XKeysymDB in step 4. For example, I use the following for my files button.

Code:
keycode 217 = XorgFiles

After that, add xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap to ~/.xinitrc so that it runs every time you start X which is required[or ~/.xsessionrc if you use KDM or GDM]. If you need this explained better then I just did then I will gladly make a howto and put it on my website.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: