What distro does Gentoo most resemble?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: What distro does Gentoo most resemble? Reply with quote

Sometimes when downloading sources (i.e. linuxconf) I am asked which distribution I am using... obviously Gentoo wouldn't be in the list. But, given that... which one should I pick?
absinthe
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What distro does Gentoo most resemble? Reply with quote

tparker wrote:
Sometimes when downloading sources (i.e. linuxconf) I am asked which distribution I am using... obviously Gentoo wouldn't be in the list. But, given that... which one should I pick?

There is not another Linux-based distribution like Gentoo. Debian has a similar "build from source" mechanism in apt-get, but it's not nearly the same thing in practice. Gentoo most closely resembles LFS -- Linux From Scratch, but LFS is not a distribution, it's really a HOWTO more than anything.

The closest thing to Gentoo in the way of operating systems and similarity to Portage are the BSD systems -- FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the source tarballs (.tgz or .tar.gz) ...if there are only distros on ...try slackware ...it has almost no packages ...everything is from source, and with source you can't go wrong ;)

...debian uses packages ...but they are not so sophisticated as they should be for gentoo ...so - use source - would be my advice

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: