Oops.. did rm -rf /var/db, now emerge says NOTHING installed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Oops.. did rm -rf /var/db, now emerge says NOTHING installed Reply with quote

I've got a fully working system - except that I deleted /var/db ... and now when I run emerge -s on any package that I know is definitely installed, it claims it's not installed.

Is there a way to rectify this i.e. rebuilding the database? Or do I just have to re-emerge everything (install again) to get emerge to recognise the installed software?

Also... I too have this problem where emerge -up world lists lots of irrelavent packages. I thought emerge is supposed to be intelligent?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oops.. did rm -rf /var/db, now emerge says NOTHING insta Reply with quote

tparker wrote:
Is there a way to rectify this i.e. rebuilding the database?
Not that I know of...that was the database.
Quote:
Or do I just have to re-emerge everything (install again) to get emerge to recognise the installed software?
Yes. /var/db is very important.
Quote:
Also... I too have this problem where emerge -up world lists lots of irrelavent packages. I thought emerge is supposed to be intelligent?
Since Portage currently can't find any software installed on your system, it doesn't surprise me that it wants to reinstall everything. If you're referring to dependencies you don't want, set your USE flags more carefully.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: