alsa+artsd problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: alsa+artsd problems Reply with quote

Hi I'm here banging my head, I can't figure out on how to configure alsa and the KDE artsd so that I can have the artsd server and alsa parallely working.

Following situation.

Soundcard Hercules GTXP (Cirrus Logic soundchip)

I installed it after the install instruction on the gentoo site
(aply plays fine)

now I have alsa running fine

but as soon as I start the artsd in KDE it takes over alsa entirely
when I start an alsa enabled application, it refuses to play, aplay hangs and
ogle for instance says that the alsa pcm device could not be used.

Does anybody have a clue what is going on there. I tried to find my way out of
this by reading the alsa site docs but I am missing an important information there.
It seems to me that all the config goes towards one PCM channel but I need more, at least 3 for artsd and a similar number for the rest of alsa. I know this card is capable of this but I don't know on how to enable it.

Does anybody have a clue?
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to deal with this is either set all your programs to use arts or set all your programs to use alsa and disable artsd from starting. If your sound card supports hardware mixing you probably won't have any reason to use arts. Cards with a (4) beside them support hardware mixing http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/, otherwise you need arts.
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

First of all:
thanks for the fast help, I yesterday moved almost all of my programs to artsd, but I guess the reverse way might be better, since arts only adds another layer. I just want to know how to enable all of that for kde?
Do I have to recompile everything KDE from ground up? Since most KDE programs hook into artsd
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using both alsa and arts and your sound card supports hardware mixing then you can have some programs playing through alsa and some playing through artsd and it works just fine, so you can set everything to use alsa that has that capability but I _think_ you'll have to keep artsd running for KDE programs like noatun.
werpu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx that clears things up a little bit, unfortunately I can't check if my card has a hardware mixing capability (I think I remember a [4] near the GT XP driver description)
the alsa site is not reachable for me currently.

IMHO the whole Linux sound issue is a mess, and alsa is not that well documented as well, with examples which route into totally different drivers and not a really good overview over the whole isssues regarding sound (for instance I could nowhere find the hints you gave me, just numerous messages regarding artsd blocking their alsa drivers.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMHO the whole Linux sound issue is a mess

Yep I agree.

I wish Alsa handled software mixing, then as of 2.6 people wouldn't have to worry about sound problems (Alsa will be the default in the new kernel) but as it is they still will since most peoples sound cards don't support hardware mixing so they'll still have to deal with a software sound mixer and setting everything to output through that (usually artsd).

I suppose people newer to Linux will use a distro that sets up everything for them but it would still be nice to have it all automatically work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: