Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
missing packages again - portage more and more unusable!?!?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: missing packages again - portage more and more unusable!?!? Reply with quote

Sorry to be complaining again, but I'm getting into serious troubles with gentoo ..

I just wanted to install a new server, stage1. emerge synced, wanted to bootstrap, but: binutils (binutils-2.13.90.0.16.tar.bz2) could not be found on any of the mirrors on the gentoo-homepage. I rsynched again (got the oregonstate.edu server), which tells me that 2.13.90.0.16 is the current release, but it's got only 2.13.90.0.14 in the distfiles/ dir.

Okay, I downloaded the file from kernel.org, but it's also annoying that some mirrors do not send a propper http/404 which results in some html-files saved under the packages name and wrong md5 sums - but you have to search manually where to get the package!

after not finding portage a few days ago, a broken portage (which deleted gcc) two days ago, now it's impossible to setup a system because of missing binutils. so great gentoo and portage are as an idea, so it becomes unusable more and more because of async rsync-servers and mirrors. The only way that I see to be always able to install gentoo would be to setup an rsync+distfiles mirror myself, which I can keep sync within itself all the time with quite some effort, but that cannot be the way to treat it. maybe the policy should be changed a little bit more in the direction of getting gentoo at least as stable that you can install/upgrade at any time! but putting ebuilds in rsync and not supplying the source is .. well, [insert a very, very bad word here].

If I am the only one with such problems, please let me know, but I cannot image that. and if I'm not alone, then anybody out there using gentoo might be the next one. This server should be up and running on friday night, this is not for my personal amusement, this is serious business - not installing the server will probably end up in loosing a client. For making business you need something to rely on, that's why I use linux. If gentoo is not ment for professionals, this also would be something important to be published...

* ElCondor annoyed and a little desperate pasa *
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: