View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: File Manager question.. Reply with quote

I'm running Blackbox on top of Gentoo 1.4rc1. I'm using Endeavour2 as a File Manager and it's fine except for one thing, when I'm running as a user and want to do a file function(move, copy, rename,...etc) it brings up a dialog box saying I don't have permission to do that. I then went into the setup for Endeavour2 to see if there was anything I could change or add that would bring up a login dialog box if I attempted to that file function again, no luck. I tried other File Managers such as Xplore, Gentoo and emelFM with no luck. Is there a file manager(preferably GUI based) that would, for example, bring up a dialog box asking for a username and password rather than a "You can't do that" box. If there are any other solutions I would also like to hear those too.
JDRipper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to open a terminal window such as xterm and type su and then, enter the root password and launch the filemanager of your choice from the command line with root permissions. If you try gentoo, it will respond with the command line switch that you will need to type to give it root permissions. I believe that would be: gentoo --root-ok.
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should've menetioned this in my original post but I know about doing the su(or sudo) thing in a terminal window to get the required permissions, I was just hoping that there was a Linux GUI File Manager out there that would have something built into it to allow me to change permissions for the function I am doing.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingarm wrote:
I probably should've menetioned this in my original post but I know about doing the su(or sudo) thing in a terminal window to get the required permissions, I was just hoping that there was a Linux GUI File Manager out there that would have something built into it to allow me to change permissions for the function I am doing.

Thats a very interesting idea. So you can do a su, per command -- so you don't mess anything up as root later. Or you could have a checkbox "su to this account for every command in this session". I wish this was a feature in Nautilus...

Anyone out there with a filemanager that does this?
JDRipper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautilus has the ability to run user created scripts. Go to:
http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/
for instructions on how to create and use these scripts. Also, KDE can bring up a prompt for the root password by preceding a program with kdesu.
e.g. # kdesu konqueror
Gnome has a utility program called gdialog that makes custom dialog boxes very easy to create and with a Nautilus script, you may be able to make whatever you need.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever, but that seems a rather roundabout way of doing things. THat is not quite what the average file-manager user needs. I think the original poster meant "when I drag a file into a root folder without permission, a message dialog should ask me for a root password." This would seem the most logical way of doing things, IMO, and perhaps there could be a check box to have the root level of access apply to the rest of the nautilus session or something... or, just remprompt the user upon every move, who knows.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: