Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I enable the cryptocompress plugin for Reiser4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: How do I enable the cryptocompress plugin for Reiser4? Reply with quote

To all Reiser4 aficianados such as kernelofTruth, gimpel , or dusanc, how would I enable the cryptocompress plugin for Reiser4?

I presume you would do it at formatting time with reiser4progs-1.0.6. I manually compile my kernel, using latest 2.6.23-2 reiser4 patch from the reiserfs mailing list and 2.6.23.9 vanilla kernel. Just use one / partition for everything, if that matters.

And are there any special .config options needing to be enabled over the standard ones for Reiser4 when compiling the kernel, such as enabling certain cryptographic API's?

Right now I boot with Reiser4-patched grub, but I understand that grub won't handle the plugin, but lilo will boot it? (Love Grub!!)

Any information about the pros/cons of using this plugin would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gary :)
dusanc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my setup:
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda5 / reiser4 noatime 0 0
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto auto,user 0 0

I wouldn't advise to use r4 for everything. Every fs has it strong points and it's weaknesses. And in the above setup you wouldn't need patched grub.
Reiser4 is with cryptocompress. I observed ~1/2 smaller / when switched from ext3, and much faster portage. HDD is much quieter too.
Reiser4s cryptocompress plugin doesn't compress everything, but has logic to leave uncompressable files unchanged.

Use -noatime, or you may experience some stalls when huge bunch of atime updates get flushed to disk.
And some people experienced problems with baselayout2

Some info on getting started with cryptocompress:
http://dev.namesys.com/GettingStartedCryptcompress

Only use reiser4progs-1.0.6 as earlier versions can damage reiser4 cryptocompress partitions.
You should use LZO compression when creating partition, and there are no kernel build options except reiser4 filesystem that you should check.

Use patches from here: http://chichkin_i.zelnet.ru/namesys/ since that is where reiser4 devs currently put their patches.

You can find some more info here, but take it with a grain of salt and use adblock or something: http://linuxhelp.150m.com/installs/compile-kernel.htm

Have fun :)

Dushan
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusanc,

Thanks for your quick reply and namesys link.

Enabled the cryptocompress plugin for Reiser4 using reiser4progs-1.0.6 with the "mkfs.reiser4 -o create=ccreg40 /dev/XXX" command.

Had to move the kernel to a reiserfs partition and redirect grub to it. Neither my reiser4-patched Grub (which worked fine without the plugin enabled) or Lilo would boot Gentoo when the kernel was in /.

Good news: Space saved: without compression enabled 1.68GB, with compression enabled 0.90GB ~40% space savings!!

Bad news:

Most commands do not work. Emerge--sync goes to >> prompt. Same thing when I try: etc-update && source /etc/profile. It justs drops to >>
(same thing happens when I chroot into my Gentoo partition (hda7) from Slackware (hda5).

I can log into KDE from root but it errors out when tried as a standard user.

As expected, slightly higher memory usage. Clean reboot into init3 with standard Reiser4-20mb, with plugin enabled-27mb.

So apparently the cryptocompress plugin for Reiser4 is not yet ready for prime time :(

Comments, observations, or suggestions are appreciated.

Gary
dusanc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank you a lot. I had the same problem with kernel 2.6.23 upgrade.
Now we know it's reiser4 related.
This bug (python scripts exiting to >>>) is just introduced somewhere after 2.6.22.
Devs are informed

Thanks

Dushan
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusanc & kernelofTruth, News Flash!!

Latest reiser4-fixups.patch from here: http://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=119785633518470&w=2 fixed the cryptocompress problem with 2.6.23.11 kernel.

Patched a vanilla 2.6.23.11 with the namesys 2.6.23-2.patch, then patched again with the new one. Compiled with reiser4 built into kernel. Tarred my data to another partition.

Formatted my gentoo partition (hda7) using reiser4progs-1.0.6 with: mkfs.reiser4 -o create=ccreg40 /dev/hda7. Untarred data and new kernel back.

Now it gets interesting. Have grub files installed on my Slackware partition (hda5-also reiser4-no compression enabled)

Grub wouldn't boot hda7 (Gentoo) with compression enabled, with its kernel on cryptoR4 hda7 partition.

Moved the /boot containing the newly compiled Gentoo kernel to hda8 which has reiserfs on it.

Told grub to look there and voila! Gentoo booted. Everything including portage and kde works. No more python problems!!

But the curious thing that has me scratching my head is that the kernel doesn't have reiserfs compiled into it, only as a module, so how is Gentoo booting off hda8 (reiserfs formatted) with its kernel (uname -ra confirms it's the one I compiled this evening)?? I am not using any initrd.

I am happy that things are working, but confused as to how the thing boots. The modules for the new 2.6.23.11 kernel are in the default /lib/modules location.

Weird !!

Gary :?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Told grub to look there and voila! Gentoo booted. Everything including portage and kde works. No more python problems!!

But the curious thing that has me scratching my head is that the kernel doesn't have reiserfs compiled into it, only as a module, so how is Gentoo booting off hda8 (reiserfs formatted) with its kernel (uname -ra confirms it's the one I compiled this evening)?? I am not using any initrd.

the loading should be done by grub (it has support for reiserfs)

Cheers

- Happy Gentooing :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: