Never can get Mplayer stable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Never can get Mplayer stable Reply with quote

As much as I like it, I have yet to have a trouble-free install of it, and after 6 months of gentoo it's the only program that's ever crashed the X server for me, and it's done it multiple times.

After the recent announcement of all the new supported codecs I emerged the latest version. As it was compiling I noticed gcc was using -O4 which seemed kind of odd. It finished compiling, I selected a file to play and before I knew it was I looking at my gdm login screen again. So I edited the ebuild to remove the unset cflags statement and changed my make.conf to relfect -O2 instead of -O3. It compiled this time as expected with -O2, yet the movie window will just freeze randomly at some point when playing. If run from a terminal I see that it's still playing (I think) but the video is frozen and there is no sound. I have tried different -vo and -ao options with the same results.

I'd like to get this working within phoenix w/ plugger but not until it can be stable enough to run on it's own. Suggestions? Is there some magic USE flag I need set? Video card is nvidia, and I've heard that their drivers may be the cause of problems, but this is my only unstable app. This seems to occur on multiple movie formats...
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

I have used mplayer (several versions) and have come accross many problems (all solved), but i need more info on you system.

video dirver :
gui (kde, gnome, windowmaker, etc..) :
sound system (alsa, arts, kernel modules, etc..) :
X11 version :
video output (vx, X11, etc...):
gcc flags (from make.conf) :
gcc version :
mplayer version (stable of unmasked) :
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: more info Reply with quote

xcable wrote:
I have used mplayer (several versions) and have come accross many problems (all solved), but i need more info on you system.

video dirver : nvidia 4191
gui : waimea
sound system : ALSA sb16pnp (yeah I know)
X11 version : 4.2.0
video output (vx, X11, etc...): Normaly xv, tried gl2
gcc flags (from make.conf) : built last with: -march=i686 -O1 -pipe
gcc version : 2.95.3
mplayer version (stable of unmasked) : .90-RC1

I've tried building it with different -O settings... 0 won't compile, 1-4 seem to all be the same in terms of unstability. The gui is currently unusable because it will crash X.. as for the lockups while playing they happen with any -ao output, including null, and for -vo I've used xv, gl2, x11, sdl all lock up the same.
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: upgrade gcc Reply with quote

You probably need to upgrade to gcc 3.2.1. Some programs had to change to make them compatable with gcc 3. Gcc 2 and Gcc 3 are different (the API changed quite a bit). This may fix it. Also gcc 3.2.1 does a better job of compile code, and you get more options of optimization.

cable
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be be that a lib mplayer was using was compiled with -O4 and is what is causing the instability?
Warriors Prayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

-O4 does not exist, -O3 ist the highest level. Read man gcc for details.
WD 1000 BB hda
Plextor 1610A ATAPI, Pioneer DVD 303S SCSI
1.4 RC2, Gnome2.2, German
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warriors Prayer wrote:

-O4 does not exist, -O3 ist the highest level. Read man gcc for details.

-O4 does exist. You can even compile programs with -O9, and it optimizes like hell. The problem with higher-than-O3 is that the code may stop doing what it's supposed to do due to the high optimizations.

-O2 and -O3 are mostly safe for everything
Warriors Prayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

ok, so if -O9 does exist, which additional flags does it contain?
WD 1000 BB hda
Plextor 1610A ATAPI, Pioneer DVD 303S SCSI
1.4 RC2, Gnome2.2, German
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, he's right. I assume -O4 would just disable the optimisations...

GCC Man Page wrote:
Code:

Optimization Options
-falign-functions=n  -falign-jumps=n -falign-labels=n -falign-loops=n -fbounds-check -fbranch-probabilities -fcaller-saves -fcprop-registers -fcse-follow-jumps -fcse-skip-blocks  -fdata-sections -fdelayed-branch  -fdelete-null-pointer-checks -fexpensive-optimizations  -ffast-math -ffloat-store -fforce-addr  -fforce-mem -ffunction-sections -fgcse  -fgcse-lm  -fgcse-sm -finline-functions -finline-limit=n  -fkeep-inline-functions -fkeep-static-consts  -fmerge-constants  -fmerge-all-constants -fmove-all-movables  -fno-branch-count-reg -fno-default-inline  -fno-defer-pop -fno-function-cse  -fno-guess-branch-probability -fno-inline  -fno-math-errno  -fno-peephole  -fno-peephole2 -funsafe-math-optimizations -fno-trapping-math -fomit-frame-pointer -foptimize-register-move -foptimize-sibling-calls  -fprefetch-loop-arrays -freduce-all-givs -fregmove  -frename-registers -frerun-cse-after-loop  -frerun-loop-opt -fschedule-insns  -fschedule-insns2 -fno-sched-interblock  -fno-sched-spec -fsched-spec-load  -fsched-spec load-dangerous -fsingle-precision-constant  -fssa -fssa-ccp -fssa-dce -fstrength-reduce  -fstrict-aliasing -fthread-jumps -ftrapv -funroll-all-loops  -funroll-loops --param name=value -O  -O0  -O1  -O2  -O3  -Os

*shrug* maybe it works on the 2.95.5. compiler...
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With GCC 3.2x and GCC 2.95.3 the highest you can go is -O3, feel free to read the manuals. From what I understand going higher then O3 gives you O3 still.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize%20Options
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_2.html#SEC10

I have mplayer working perfectly on a system using GCC 2.95.3 so that's not the problem. Not sure if this actually effects any of the mplayer stuff but my CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are set to "-march=i686 -O2 -ffast-math -pipe"

Does "mplayer -vo null -ao null" still cause it to crash? That at least rules out both audio and video outputs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: