Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux wrote:
I got so angry by having portage consuming all of my resources, making me reboot the machine several times, that I did:
Code:
emerge -C portage

Why was I allowed to do that? Self-Destruction mode set? *g*

How do I get it back? :roll:

How does Gentoo want to get on the servers if things like this happen? I was considering putting it on a new server for a new company, but now I'm having serious second thoughts..

Figure out in which subdir portage resides (sys-devel I think) and go to that dir in /usr/portage. Then go into the portage dir and into the files dir. Here you will find a rescue-portage-x.y.z.tbz2 file amonsgt others. There is also a help file. Basically you want to extract the portage-rescue file with the -C / option (I think, can't remember exactly, was some time ago), so that it will extract it to your root partition. It's all documented, but what you need is the "/usr/portage/x-y/portage/files" directory.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iKiddo wrote:
darktux wrote:
I got so angry by having portage consuming all of my resources, making me reboot the machine several times, that I did:
Code:
emerge -C portage

Why was I allowed to do that? Self-Destruction mode set? *g*

How do I get it back? :roll:

How does Gentoo want to get on the servers if things like this happen? I was considering putting it on a new server for a new company, but now I'm having serious second thoughts..

Figure out in which subdir portage resides (sys-devel I think) and go to that dir in /usr/portage. Then go into the portage dir and into the files dir. Here you will find a rescue-portage-x.y.z.tbz2 file amonsgt others. There is also a help file. Basically you want to extract the portage-rescue file with the -C / option (I think, can't remember exactly, was some time ago), so that it will extract it to your root partition. It's all documented, but what you need is the "/usr/portage/x-y/portage/files" directory.

Quote:
bash-2.05b$ pwd
/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files
bash-2.05b$ ls
digest-portage-2.0.45-r5 digest-portage-2.0.46_pre1 portage-2.0.45-r7.tar.bz2 portage-rescue-2.0.44-x86.tbz2
digest-portage-2.0.45-r7 digest-portage-2.0.46_pre2 portage-rescue-2.0.44-ppc.tbz2 README.RESCUE

Thanks! :)

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
NePhie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, i don't think portage registers the size of files generated
second of all, rebuilding the gcc would anyway be the best thing to do, so it was built with your flags

and lastly : after reading that link, i think cardoe has absolutely no idea what this thread is about, this thread is NOT about a gcc upgrade, the gcc package itself was UNTOUCHED

what caused the problem here is a PORTAGE upgrade, i repeat, portage, not gcc

A portage update which is now masked, but WASN'T when i encountered it

A portage update which replaced the gcc binary with some script that merely opened a lot of files, and thus hogging everything

now, can anyone of the developers spare some time and give a decent answer ?
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NePhie wrote:
first of all, i don't think portage registers the size of files generated
[...]
what caused the problem here is a PORTAGE upgrade, i repeat, portage, not gcc [...] A portage update which replaced the gcc binary with some script that merely opened a lot of files, and thus hogging everything[...]

1) Oh, but it does.

2) Don't forget to mention the typo in /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh I still think that might be the cause of this. And the change of structure around gcc at least has something to do with it.
NePhie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i too think that it has something to do with it

as you can read somewhere in this thread were i wonder wehter it could be because they want to make that change

BUT ... the solutions that are given by the developers here, asume that we just upgraded to gcc3.2.1-r6 or gcc2.95.3-r8 , in which they apply that change
HOWEVER, we did not ... we upgraded portage, we don't have that new structure ... would env-update magicly make the lost gcc binary re-appear ?
i'm sure that in the new structure these things would work, but we DO NOT HAVE that new structure, we still have the old one

see the whole problem ? the developers treat this problem as one caused by migrating from the old to the new structure, but it's one caused by NOT doing that ... and the portage update needing it, and imho that's why that update is now masked
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardoe wrote:
The whole copy and replace a gcc technique is wrong. You should only have to do

env-update; source /etc/profile; hash -r

That is the proper way.

You can check https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12246 for more info.

Perhaps I missed something but that bug report has to do with a specific problem in gcc-3.2.1-r6. I don't see how that is supposed to turn a shell script (/usr/bin/gcc, after being overwritten by portage-2.0.45-r6) into a working binary.

Last edited by Zadeh on Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't, Cardoe must have got mixed up, due to fact that the symptoms seem to be the same. Please use the directions stated in the beginning of the thread if you want to know how to fix this. They work.
Lion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NePhie wrote:
and lastly : after reading that link, i think cardoe has absolutely no idea what this thread is about, this thread is NOT about a gcc upgrade, the gcc package itself was UNTOUCHED

what caused the problem here is a PORTAGE upgrade, i repeat, portage, not gcc

A portage update which is now masked, but WASN'T when i encountered it

A portage update which replaced the gcc binary with some script that merely opened a lot of files, and thus hogging everything

now, can anyone of the developers spare some time and give a decent answer ?

I'm not one of the developers, but what I understood from the link to the bug article is this:

In the new gcc-structure, several different gcc compilers can be installed, each in its own directory. Portage expects gcc to be in /usr/bin/gcc. It isn't there any more, so we need a placeholder.
This is what the shell script is supposed to do. It just calls the true gcc (but without specifying the full path). This will only work when the true gcc is in the path before the /usr/bin/gcc. That is what the env-update is meant to fix, just make sure that the gcc binary is in the path before /usr/bin.

In this case, the 'true' gcc was not in the path before /usr/bin/gcc, probably ecause the new gcc structure is not effective yet, so this script just calls itself recursively, eating all available resources.

The problem seemed to be that the new portage made some invalid assumption about the structure around gcc, therefore it thought the shell script stub was necessary, whereas it only caused problems.

Just my 0.02.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this might be related but i've been trying to do a fresh install since this past friday.. and 1.4 and 1.2 i can't get anything to emerge successfully.. even the bootstrap in 1.2 fails with perl scripts errors.. i'm going insane.. i love gentoo, and 4-5 months ago compiled my whole system from stage 1 a couple times with no problems.. now nothing works.. 1.4, or 1.2... someones needs to die! eheh
NePhie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the env-update will not work if you do not have that new structure, which we don't

that is the point ... none of the solutions offered by the developers can work, since they assume the wrong problem
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Instructions and binary tarballs available! Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in posting here. I was hoping someone from the irc channels would update this thread. Please go to http://cvs.gentoo.org/~seemant

I have some instructions and links to binary tarballs of gcc for all the x86 based architectures as well as sparc64

If there are ppc people who are experiencing this, shoot me or gerk a quick e-mail and we'll make those tarballs available as well.

Fair enough? :)

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. At the very least, we've learned the power of the space bar! :)
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my servers was damaged as well ..... luckily I did a backup just before I did emerge -u world. I have now gone back to my previous copy which is working fine. I assume this has been fixed by now ? If I do an emerge -u world it will work with any problems ?
Azarah
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full details should be at:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12298

or possibly:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12246

Once again, sorry to all those who have suffered.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I read those links but still not clear whether this has been fixed....I will wait a couple of week for my next -u world attempt.
Azarah
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fixed with -r7. I just need to check with Nick first if he want
to change anything.. Will keep you informed.
echto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a headache.. but fixable.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for their participation.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn ....turns out I had 3 gentoo installs damaged by this.... I was able to fix 2 of them but one of them (a high volume server) I had to restore from backup because something was eating all its resources .... I kept getting "To many files open" ....I could not emerge or gunzip anything .... what are you supposed to do in this situation ? ... yes I tried to increase the file limits which caused most of the processes on the server to die !!
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:
damn ....turns out I had 3 gentoo installs damaged by this.... I was able to fix 2 of them but one of them (a high volume server) I had to restore from backup because something was eating all its resources .... I kept getting "To many files open" ....I could not emerge or gunzip anything .... what are you supposed to do in this situation ? ... yes I tried to increase the file limits which caused most of the processes on the server to die !!

Have you actually read this thread? The 'Too many files open' was caused by a faulty gcc. Someone posted a working one on the first page of this thread. Download it, copy it over the old one and you´re ready to re-emerge your gcc (and all other things f00ked).

EDIT: WAIT! before you flame me :) Sorry, m8, it was me who hadn't read good enough :P
tsigo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Bloody freaking hell Reply with quote

Ok I followed all of the steps here: http://cvs.gentoo.org/~seemant/

And I now have a working gcc, but every time I try to emerge something, I get this

Code:

(root@tsigo) tsigo $ emerge -p portage

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating dependencies   

emerge: all ebuilds that could satisfy "portage" have been masked.

For every thing I try to emerge.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it also do that if you don't use --pretend/-p ?? If so, you will want to re-emerge portage by giving emerge a full path:
Code:
emerge /usr/portage/xxx-yyy/portage/portage-2.0.46-r1

Browse to the directoy, check what's the newest version and be sure you type in everything correctly.
tsigo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iKiddo wrote:
Does it also do that if you don't use --pretend/-p ?? If so, you will want to re-emerge portage by giving emerge a full path:
Code:
emerge /usr/portage/xxx-yyy/portage/portage-2.0.46-r1

Browse to the directoy, check what's the newest version and be sure you type in everything correctly.

Huzzah.

Went here: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/

Got portage-2.0.46-r2.tar.bz2, put it in /usr/portage/distfiles, then went to /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage and did emerge portage-2.0.46-r2 and it looks like I'm back up and running.

Phew.
m1kee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I didn't mention that after using my `method of recovery' (grabbing gcc and cc from the install cd) one could `emerge gcc' as to restore the previous state of the machine and wait for the broken portage to get masked, or the entire situation to be resolved.

@Devheads, thanks for the quick response, one of the reasons why I became addicted to Gentoo :) Cheers :wink:
schleppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: gcc 3.2 for athlon Reply with quote

Hi all,
Could someone please point me in the direction of a tbz2 binary for athlon or at least not optimized for other architectures? The link on Seemant's page appears to be dead. Thanks,
Schleppy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: